Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

On 5/23/2020 at 10:17 PM, mcbush said:

Anybody have access to old UPT syllabi? Trying to track down a copy of the one that would have been in place when I went through KCBM as a student in 2011-2012.

Guys at Randolph are your best bet, but in case no one else answers, here's one from 2004. https://web.archive.org/web/20120329111254/http://www.t6driver.com/jsupt/jppt_jsupt_syllabus.pdf

On 6/15/2020 at 5:26 AM, Inertia17 said:

Yeah...but 2 fighters (well, kind of) over 2 classes and 2 bases...ouch.

38s at Vance have been dropping with the T-1s in an 'on again, off again' fashion.  Just depends on how far behind they are at any given point in time.

Edited by dmginc
typo

5 hours ago, Orbit said:

Slightly off topic question, are zaps still a thing? I feel like I don't see too many new ones around in the last few years. 

I once put a sticker on a random, abandoned, small end table in the T6/T38 squadron building. About 4 months later they created a some kind of waiting room in the sim building and used that table. Our SRO got a talking for people vandalizing and zapping inappropriate locations. Seems like it isn't really worth dealing with the hassle anymore .

21 hours ago, tedybearofdoom said:

I once put a sticker on a random, abandoned, small end table in the T6/T38 squadron building. About 4 months later they created a some kind of waiting room in the sim building and used that table. Our SRO got a talking for people vandalizing and zapping inappropriate locations. Seems like it isn't really worth dealing with the hassle anymore .

Dude that person needs to go eat a bag of dicks. If its on UPT base property, it's 100% fair game! 

• Like 4

CBM 20-17/18

E3 Tinker

C5 Dover

C17 Charleston x2

C130 Dyess x2

C130 Little Rock

HC130 DM

MC130 Kirtland

AC130 Duke

U28 Hurlburt x2

KC135 MacDill

T1 CBM

T6 CBM

T38 CBM

B1 Dyess

F35 Luke

F16 x2

8 minutes ago, Ch33s3 said:

CBM 20-17/18

Are they just not having a lot of 38 studs right now, or are they back to fing them over with the heavies that T-1s don’t want?

Edited by Hawg15

9 hours ago, the g-man said:

Rumor mill was that a couple were non-recommended for IFF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The students can find out now. When the flight commander submits OP4418 it’s supposed to have a fighter recommendation if they didn’t get a fighter assignment.

8 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

The students can find out now. When the flight commander submits OP4418 it’s supposed to have a fighter recommendation if they didn’t get a fighter assignment.

This day in age, I think it’s pretty obvious that if they didn’t get a fighter - they weren’t recommended for one.

• Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

CAFB 20-20/21

KC-135 Macdill (AFRC)

C-5 Dover

C-130H Maxwell (ANG)

C-17 Travis x3

F-15 LA Guard

A-10 DM

C-130 KY ANG

KC-135 KS ANG

T-6 CBM

F-16 NJ ANG

C-17 Dover x2

C-17 Charleston x2

T-38 CBM

F-16 tbd x2

C-130J Keesler (AFRC)

KC-10 Travis x2

B-52 Barksdale

F-15 Kingsley

F-22 Hickam 

T-6 Laughlin 

Hc-130J CA ANG

EC-130H DM

E-3 Tinker

MC-130J Kirtland

C-17 McChord

8 hours ago, Air_Space said:

PTN v3 

T-45 x3 (USN)

So what you’re saying is the Navy realizes VR isn’t a replacement for stick time in a jet, especially when you’re going to jets that have no family models. 

6 hours ago, Hawg15 said:

So what you’re saying is the Navy realizes VR isn’t a replacement for stick time in a jet, especially when you’re going to jets that have no family models. 

Is there any word on how studs from the first two classes are doing? Either in the schoolhouse or after? 

4 hours ago, LiquidSky said:

Is there any word on how studs from the first two classes are doing? Either in the schoolhouse or after? 

One of the graduates from the first class is already back from a 6 month CENTCOM deployment in the F-35. 

• Like 1

No notable difference between the students who flew ~100 hrs in T-38’s normal UPT track and the guy who only flew T-6’s a few hours and his second solo was in a fighter.

Regardless of track, they are all equally bad but will be fine with some experience.

UPT next guys are NOT the weakest students going to CAF squadrons.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, di1630 said:

No notable difference between the students who flew ~100 hrs in T-38’s normal UPT track and the guy who only flew T-6’s a few hours and his second solo was in a fighter.

Regardless of track, they are all equally bad but will be fine with some experience.

UPT next guys are NOT the weakest students going to CAF squadrons.

8 hours ago, Ant-man said:

One of the graduates from the first class is already back from a 6 month CENTCOM deployment in the F-35. 

The problem with those studs is they were hand picked to go there because they were already a level above their peers, and this program wouldn’t fail even if they were trash.

The washout rate in our B course classes has been rising over the last couple years from the general population of all this change and reduced experience. They won’t all be fine, the number of students who can’t make it through PIQ is on the rise. We’ve had multiple cycles with washouts this year, which is not standard. Basic fighter admin is what drove most of it. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hawg15 said:

We’ve had multiple cycles with washouts this year, which is not standard. Basic fighter admin is what drove most of it. 

That is so odd to me. How did these students do in IFF? That admin part for me was the easiest transition to the B course because it was nearly identical. Admittedly that was in the Eagle and not the A-10 but I can’t imagine it’s too terribly different. 

• Upvote 2

The problem with those studs is they were hand picked to go there because they were already a level above their peers, and this program wouldn’t fail even if they were trash.

The washout rate in our B course classes has been rising over the last couple years from the general population of all this change and reduced experience. They won’t all be fine, the number of students who can’t make it through PIQ is on the rise. We’ve had multiple cycles with washouts this year, which is not standard. Basic fighter admin is what drove most of it. 

Any chance for an example of the admin? Range/munitions delivery or just safety of flight to/from the ranges?

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

That is so odd to me. How did these students do in IFF? That admin part for me was the easiest transition to the B course because it was nearly identical. Admittedly that was in the Eagle and not the A-10 but I can’t imagine it’s too terribly different. 

47 minutes ago, di1630 said:

Any chance for an example of the admin? Range/munitions delivery or just safety of flight to/from the ranges?

They did okay, but IFF isn’t the filter that it was back in the day, which is good and bad. It’s not just a pointless haze, and it’s also not easy to remove students from training in general. I’ve heard from some guys who instructed there that they are already spending extra time working on tac form for many of the students.  

The problem with many of these students is they don’t have the repetitions of flights that hammer home and make purely flying second nature, which is what ultimately drives many of the problems on follow on trainings. We have students that can’t fly straight and level without it taking all their SA, releasing without clearance, not fencing out when directed, not maintaining SA on friendlies and flight members, almost overrunning a 13,500ft runway and taking out another jet because for some reason they are 90kts at the 1 board, unable to safely hold while correlating a target, flying off the HUD in safe escapes at night and ending up inverted almost into the ground, among many other issues. There has been some extremely close calls to losing jets and lives.

We can’t have pilots that are constantly fighting the jet in a B-course level training, which as far as the hawg is concerned teaches the most basic form of employing the jet with mostly link assisted digital-defensive data flow (aka the students are only expected to provide vis lookout while updating their targets off my SPI, they are not allowed to be copying info most of the time while in B-course). Pilots definitely can’t be struggling to fly straight and level while writing 9-lines, plotting in the system, correlating targets, monitoring 4 freqs, maintaining friendly SA in relation to weapons effects, getting to weapons release parameters, and not hitting me, etc... Then add the low altitude environment where we are doing that at 100-300 agl.  The AF is somewhat neglecting that fundamentals matter before adding on more advanced, SA draining tasks. 

Edited by Hawg15
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3