Fighter-isms

Steve Davies

What the heck does "(sts)"? I did a search, found 8 pages, but no definition.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sts

Thanks.

umm... ok Welcome to the boards.

STS = So to speak. Intended use is similar to a good 'thats what she said.'

I believe this may be what you are looking for:

so to speak

so to speak

as one might say; said a certain way, even though the words are not exactly accurate:

John helps me with my taxes. He's my accountant, so to speak.

Yes... but no

YES: She gave me a ride last night, so to speak. What time do you think your mom is coming, so to speak.

NO: I banged a chick, so to speak. My computer is on, so to speak.

Edited by FallingOsh

Let me see if I got this:

-Man 1 buys the new HTC Hero that comes out October 11th. After a female comments on how big the phone is and leaves; Man 2 walks in...

Man 2 to Man 1 - "Did anything cool happen today?"

Man 1 to Man 2 - "This one chick told me my Hero was big, so to speak."

Thanks guys!

Edited by Titan

Where does bo-at come from? I searched and found it was listed in a thread but that one got derailed...something about the navy uses two syllabus to pronounce something the air force only uses one to pronounce?

Where does bo-at come from? I searched and found it was listed in a thread but that one got derailed...something about the navy uses two syllabus to pronounce something the air force only uses one to pronounce?

The way I heard, the Navy doesn't like it when you call their ships "boats", so calling it a "bo-at" is the alternative. I've actually only heard AF guys call it a bo-at.

The way I heard, the Navy doesn't like it when you call their ships "boats", so calling it a "bo-at" is the alternative. I've actually only heard AF guys call it a bo-at.

Sounds reasonable - Naval Aviators call the carrier 'the boat' in a bid to be irreverent.

Guest SynixMan

Sorta right. Naval Aviators call it "the boat" in an effort to piss off the surface warfare guys (aka SWOs/Blackshoe/F'in Shoe/insert derogatory name here etc). To the SWOs, it must be called a ship, nothing else. And to aviators, a day making a shoe angry is a good day. As to "bo-at", must be an AF thing.

I think my favorite was when one of the EW instructors at Randolph, a dark grey WSO, was giving us a weapons class. He wouldn't even say head when referring to that thing that makes missiles explode. Nope, it was a two-thousand pound warcranium. I was highly amused.

Guest JollyFlight21

I think my favorite was when one of the EW instructors at Randolph, a dark grey WSO, was giving us a weapons class. He wouldn't even say head when referring to that thing that makes missiles explode. Nope, it was a two-thousand pound warcranium. I was highly amused.

Yeah, those guys have to get highly creative with their HEADS. Should I have used STS there? :vomit:

Edited by JollyFlight21

Guest IncompletePete

Anyone would think that only fighter pilots say STS. Where I come from, it is not unusual to hear people say 'in a manner of speaking' and 'so to speak' in order to obviate any embarrassing interpretations of a double entendre.

I dropped a beautiful STS the other day when a girl told me that she was "looking to widen her social circle"!

A few thoughts because I cannot resist even though I know I should:

1) Funny cartoons! And I don’t care who you are that Quizno’s commercial is just wrong.

2) Roll Call first started in World War I where it was literally a call of roll to discern who returned from the mission and who did not. The squadron would raise their glasses in a toast to their fallen squadron mates, sing songs, and basically booze their faces off to blow off some steam from the hell they just endured. Can't imagine being a B-24 pilot in WW II. True nerves of steel. Fast forward to the late 80s and early 90s. The O Club used to be THE place to be. Strippers, lingerie parties, ACTUAL good food, cheap drinks, and good times in general. M2 and Rainman may be the only people ancient enough to remember those times because I certainly don't. Hell they used to bus in women from off base. Now it seems you can't even set foot into the O Club without paying a $150 keg fee or paying $5 for some shitty fried apps and stale popcorn. Singing, dancing, and generally having a good time was frowned upon and so the squadrons just got tired of being hassled at the O Club. They said F u to big blue and took their act back to the squadrons. Now that is not to say that squadrons have not always had bars and had many drinks in them, but the "modern" (if you can even call it that) fighter pilot roll call was partly a result of squadrons wanting to party without being hassled. Even still Roll Calls vary from squadron to squadron, and are not just limited to fighter squadrons. Although I've never been to a heavy roll call Chuck17 assures me that they do exist, and trust me Chuck17 is no stranger to fermented grain. Plus regardless of the aircraft you fly, almost ALL pilots like to hang out in the bar or somewhere else to drink and/or build camaraderie. Notice I said hang out, because you don't have to drink to be a bro.

Cheers,

BeerMan

ALL pilots like to hang out, Notice I said hang out

Should this have a sts with it?

• 3 months later...

You know the saddest thing on earth? When ABMs use that stuff.....

Yeah, I've known a couple of those guys. Interesting bunch. Something must happen to you when you put that ACC patch on.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by JeepGuyC17

Yeah, I've known a couple of those guys. Interesting bunch. Something must happen to you when you put that ACC patch on.

(edited for spelling)

It's even worse when your stationed at Tinker with a bunch of tools like that. Thay really take that shit to the nth degree. We banned such words as crainum and container from the Pilot, Nav and Eng office. Payable with beer if someone with real wings ever muttered the words.

Guest Sammy7

You know the saddest thing on earth? When ABMs use that stuff.....

As a recovering ABM, it's sad but true. I blame the weapons section as most of the normal people drift toward the other sections. The worst I heard was a patch called his Xbox and Xcontainer360.

This thread needs to be a required reading item for the Navy guys before they get to Vance for UPT. All of the Navy guys in my class had problems with sts, and they would do the whole "So to speak?" like it was a question and look to one of us for confirmation.

I had a similar issue with the EWO guys at Randolph. I think they started to catch on by the end of the course, though.

• 1 year later...
Guest Ponis

I heard some RUMINT six to nine days ago that AETC is forbidding student pilots from saying STS and referring to 69. Anyone else hear this?