F-22 Raptor info

Beaver

The mx issues have been released in the past. I know I mentioned them here before.

I like how they're looking into PT scores to see if that is a factor.

How about a LOX retrofit on a few jets.

Sounds reasonable. And cheap.

They should throw some NOS, rims and hydralic shocks on a couple of them too.

Pimp my ride.

custom-car-hydraulics.jpg

Well here's an interesting twist to the story.

http://www.airforcet...illness-050712/

My first response who gives a shit about maintainers, then I thought if it is happening on the ground then lets get every pointy head mfer out there to figure this thing out. Another thought, lets get somebody out there who has never worked for Lockheed/Martin and never will to fix this thing and give us an honest account. Doesnt the Super Hornet and Strike Eagle have the same system? I've worked on C-140's and C-5's both Lockheed products, the biggest MX POS's I've ever seen, Make's the B-52 look easy to fix. Why in the world did big blue think they could make a fighter worth a shit, Kelly Johnson would have never been hired by Lockheed today. The way LM does business its like they a welfare mom from hell. Oh I forgot they did do the C130 right but still have a crappy batting avg.. .

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria#_

"After this initial individual shows symptoms, others begin to manifest similar symptoms, typically nausea, muscle weakness, fits or headache."

"Sometimes referred to as mass psychogenic illness or epidemic hysteria, there is a clear preponderance of female victims."

I'm not sayin'...

I like how they're looking into PT scores to see if that is a factor.

C'mon Rainman. I figured you of all people would have figured this out. It's ALL about the PT test... duh!

Wilson: he's good to go probably. In fact, that 'stache should have filtered >50% of the schmegma coming through his O2 mask. He's low risk. Probably a smoker too... which should increase his resistance to hypoxia, since he trains for it.

Gordon, on the other hand, probably has a waist measurement like mine. Sure, he looks like a middle linebacker from his college days, and can probably squat 315+,... but there is no WAY he should be flying the Raptor based on his waist measurement. And that directly leads to this O2 problem.

Kelly Johnson would have never been hired by Lockheed today.

Fact. And sad.

It's obvious. The raptor is starting to become self aware... and it doesn't like pilots.

Only pilots like pilots. Everyone knows that. Move along.

Edited by Huggyu2

Probably a smoker too... which should increase his resistance to hypoxia, since he trains for it.

ROFLMFAO

Guest YJ619

The Pentagon PR machine is working overtime tonight...

http://www.airforcet...tection-050812/

Words of wisdom from a 3-star:

“With recent data, we believe we are coming to closure on that root cause,” she said.

“But, that doesn’t mean we are done with all the activities to find that root cause,” Wolfenbarger added.

Too bad Col Boyd and the acolytes are not around anymore...

I spent some time on AFSAS today. Gents - read about a mishap at the 3WG (Elmendorf) back in March if you have access. That report pretty much sums it up, and they make a compelling case.

I miss LOX...

[stupid question]

The T-6 uses an OBOGS and hasn't had any issues with it as far as hypoxia, coughing, etc. Is the Raptor problem actually related to the system itself or is it the fact that they spend most of their time in the stratosphere that the system just can't handle it? In other words, hypothetically if they put the T-6 system on the Raptor, would they still have issues due to the altitude?

[/stupid question]

I was talking to a friend from college who worked on the Raptor as a Crew Chief, with the added benefit of most of an Aerospace Engineering degree under his belt at the time. He surmised that it's not impossible, but not likely that it's an OBOGS issue. More likely, according to him, it's a contamination issue. Apparently there have been issues with oil seals in the engines, which could contaminate bleed air, which would flow into the OBOGS, and into the pilot.

Pure speculation, but edumacated speculation.

In other words, hypothetically if they put the T-6 system on the Raptor, would they still have issues due to the altitude?

There are several flavors of OBOGS out there and just because they share the same name does not make them plug-and-play with all platforms, or any other platform for that matter. I've also heard the contamination thing, but that was just WOM. Either way, the problem is certainly far deeper than just simply throwing a new OBOGS in the jet (if that was even possible).

[stupid question]

that they spend most of their time in the stratoBozosphere [/stupid question]

Fixed.

[stupid question]

The T-6 uses an OBOGS and hasn't had any issues with it as far as hypoxia, coughing, etc. Is the Raptor problem actually related to the system itself or is it the fact that they spend most of their time in the stratosphere that the system just can't handle it? In other words, hypothetically if they put the T-6 system on the Raptor, would they still have issues due to the altitude?

[/stupid question]

Like Brabus said, similar names but different systems. Many airplanes use OBOGS type systems now, but exchanging them 1 for 1 isn't really doable. I suspect (as with everything on the Raptor), the cost of revamping over to LOX or to a different OBOGS or anything like that would be astronomical.