F-22 Raptor info

Beaver

Just saw the 60 Minutes piece...I don't think it made the Air Force look bad other than the fact that (according to 60 Minutes) it would be an embarrassment to the Air Force to ground the aircraft again. I hope that is not the stance of the Air Force...to not ground it to save face...because that is exactly one of the problems I have with some people in the AF (leadership) who are willing to let the organization fail to avoid saying they made a mistake (I'm referring to more than just the F-22 issue). I really hope that isn't the case here....the Air Force sacrificing safety for credibility. It will be a very costly mistake if something happens...again.

Nice job Congressman!

Those guys put their nuts on the chopping block...I hope they made the right choice for the right reason.

Just watched it, good on them. :beer: I'm very interested in seeing what they figure out with the F-22 OBOGS....

I'm interested too. I wasn't aware of the breathing/coughing issues or the filter issues they discussed. I'm very curious now.

Good on those dudes. An example of doing what you think is right and saying f it to the "career consequences".

Also, big respect for coming off as competent, intelligent, respectful, and in general "officer-like" in the interview.

They were not making a political endorsement.

It would have been entirely different if out of nowhere someone had shoved a microphone under their nose and they popped the clutch on their mouth.

Dudes took a stand, good on em, took some balz. If they don't want to fly it due to any reason, we got plenty of RPA places that could use some smart "superstar" pilots just like their OPRs said. But there are plenty of people who would sign on the line to fly one in their place. Sounds like the USAF is truely trying to figure it out. What if the jet is ok (flawed minorly), we just have fostered a generation of risk adverse fighter pilots?

What if the jet is ok (flawed minorly), we just have fostered a generation of risk adverse fighter pilots?

What if you actually had access to AFSAS and educated yourself about the topic a little more?

Those guys have some big brass balls. I don't know if I could do what they did, but good on them for sticking it to the man. I personally think stuff like this needs to happen more often when it is warranted instead of everyone just being yes men.

but good on them for sticking it to the man.

I don't quite understand how they "stuck it to the man". Everything they said was already public knowledge and had been reported on repeatedly. They just said it again and in person. The AF hasn't been hiding any of this stuff, believe it or not.

I don't quite understand how they "stuck it to the man". Everything they said was already public knowledge and had been reported on repeatedly. They just said it again and in person. The AF hasn't been hiding any of this stuff, believe it or not.

True

I don't know what "stuck it to the man" really means. However, you can't tell me this very public interview by a couple Guard guys isn't causing some discomfort for Big Blue.

In fact, I know it is.

As for what civilians think of the interview...

I don't know about you guys but my phone was ringing last night befre the piece even finished airing...which was a pain in the ass since I was out in the stable trying to get some last minute things done with the horses.

Lots of relatives and civilian friends wanting to know what I thought. The impression of the civilian population (in my limited sample size) was that Big Blue is covering something up and risking pilot's lives for no good reason. They seemed legitimately concerned.

If they don't want to fly it due to any reason, we got plenty of RPA places that could use some smart "superstar" pilots just like their OPRs said.

Comments like this are why RPA dudes don't get respect.

Edited by TAMInated

Lots of relatives and civilian friends wanting to know what I thought. The impression of the civilian population (in my limited sample size) was that Big Blue is covering something up and risking pilot's lives for no good reason. They seemed legitimately concerned.

Same here. The problem is that I don't think the AF is covering anything up. While John Q. Public may never have paid attention to this topic before last night, it's certainly not because it wasn't reported on.

I don't know what "stuck it to the man" really means. However, you can't tell me this very public interview by a couple Guard guys isn't causing some discomfort for Big Blue.

In fact, I know it is.

As for what civilians think of the interview...

I don't know about you guys but my phone was ringing last night befre the piece even finished airing...which was a pain in the ass since I was out in the stable trying to get some last minute things done with the horses.

That is the exact same impression I got from my limited sample size too. Even before they asked what I thought, they didn't trust the AF answers. I don't think the AF is hiding anything...I know they want this fixed, but I think they are knowingly taking a calculated risk not keeping the aircraft grounded for this issue because they believe the odds of us having another Class A mishap are low enough to accept that risk...part of that reason IMO is to safe face on a (to use a sensational media phrase) 'overpriced and controversial weapon system.' I just don't think they factored in a couple of bubbas openly refusing to fly the jet. The AF stood its ground on the issue, but that will just make it a more costly decision if we are unfortunate enough to have another mishap linked to OBOGS and hypoxia.

I just don't think they factored in a couple of bubbas openly refusing to fly the jet. The AF stood its ground on the issue, but that will just make it a more costly decision if we are unfortunate enough to have another mishap linked to OBOGS and hypoxia.

Exactly. Can you imagine what the fallout would be if a mishap related to this happens in the next few weeks? (knock on wood (sts) that it doesn't happen)

Exactly. Can you imagine what the fallout would be if a mishap related to this happens in the next few weeks? (knock on wood (sts) that it doesn't happen)

I have to believe there are a lot of very senior folks walking on eggshells...afraid of exactly this.