Bird in Hand Closing

HeyEng

I just read on FB that the Bird in Hand at Mildenhall is closing due to the gate being extended or something like that?

I have not stayed there in years and when I did I often stayed in one of the newer billeting buildings so I’m having a hard time remembering the place.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, HeyEng said:

I’m having a hard time remembering the place.

Also having a hard time remembering that place...but maybe for different reasons?

First overwater trip in the FRS, so first stop after LPLA.  Great watering hole for several fantastic trips in the next few years.  🍻

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry to see this. That was a great spot for us 60 day wonders (ETTF) at Mildenhall to relax and have a cold pint or two after a flight. It was the first English pub I ever visited, and while over the years I visited many more (some better and some far worse), it was always a relaxing and fun place to hang out with the crew. It was also convenient if one didn't have transportation readily available.

• Like 1

It was well known when Igor to the UK in '90. 
I have to believe some enterprising person can buy it for pennies on the pound, and bring it back. 

I pissed on Mike Cahill's Boom Operator sticker at the Bird in Hand, multiple times. I saw that sticker all over the world.  Never even met the dude.  

I also got trashed on snake bites there, more times than I can remember.    

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

Looks like there are several Bird in Hand pubs in the U.K.  Lived upstairs in this one for a month in Henlow Camp.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/G3bn3gK8Uk9eM32h9?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

Awesome.   Get fucked up and walk the snaggle teethed British chicks upstairs.   

Had my very first overseas beer in that place, May 1997.  Tons of great stories in that place; very sad to hear of its closing - truly feels like losing an old friend after many, many stops there over the years.