Geilenkirchen Info

LJDRVR

So my daughter *may* be headed to GK, I've already looked up the German pet requirements for them, but a quick question:

Anybody have any suggestions on pet travel to Germany? I know Lufthansa has a good pet program, as does my employer. I'd love to hear any gouge or recommendations anyone might be willing to share.

Leave the vehicles and purchase through the exchange?

I separated from active duty before my daughter was born but she still thinks I know everything about everything so any help here is appreciated.

Thanks!

My main suggestion would be getting rid of the pet to a family member and enjoying Europe. That an option? Not trying to be a smart ass but Europe is great when you can just blast off for the weekend and see something cool without something tying you down.

11 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

My main suggestion would be getting rid of the pet to a family member and enjoying Europe. That an option? Not trying to be a smart ass but Europe is great when you can just blast off for the weekend and see something cool without something tying you down.

Gotta agree with Danger41 here.  Frau and I left our beloved doggo with the in-laws for 3 years while we were assigned to Japan. Was great to get away to Guam, Hawaii, Australia, S. Korea and other places without worrying about the dog. Not to mention, lack of a pet increased our housing options. 

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

We had zero trouble finding pet sitters or kennels for travel. Germany is one of the most pet friendly countries.

Lufthansa was very good. Flight attendants even gave us 3 hour updates on how they were doing. Zero issues. 

• Upvote 2

Spent 3.5 years in Germany as a young Lt/Capt with a dog, wife, no kids. We traveled all over Europe by car—made for some pretty cool experiences we would’ve missed without him (lab/put mix). Stuff like exploring historic parks in cities to get him a morning walk or hikes in random towns. 

Restaurants were mostly very dog friendly. Occasionally left him with a great German dog lady when we travelled by air. 

Zero regrets bringing our dog to Europe. 

• Upvote 1

General pet advice.  If you don't have one yet.  Don't get one until you're out.  In this situation, it'll make things harder but like others have said, Europe is light years different in regards to 'pet friendly' things to do and what not.  She'll be fine if she brings the dog over.  

There is almost zero advantage purchasing vehicles through the exchange.  She will be MUCH better off buying something once over there on the used base market.  

9 hours ago, MCO said:

Dogs are fine and getting a car is not hard. The paperwork on the other hand is painful, but that’s true of everything in Germany.

ADAC dog insurance...car (like AAA)+ski insurance too...do it!

https://www.mygermanfinances.de/german-insurances/pet-insurances-germany/#:~:text=Pet Liability Insurance%3A,damage%2C or breakage of items.

• Upvote 1

Got married just before going to Ramstein, and got a dog (practice kid) shortly afterward.  Wouldn't change a thing if I could.

As mentioned, dogs are almost universally welcomed all over Germany and we never had an issue with our Westie.  In fact, he used to love meeting cows along walks between villages.

As for cars, you can bring a US one over without much problem but understand Germany roads tend to be narrower than in the US (especially older ones).  Not sure if I'd bring a F-350 but I've seen people do so.

I bought a hoopty German-specs BMW 3-series from a Lt Col for about $1500 when I got there in 1995, I'm sure it's still easy finding a second car at a decent price.  We kept USAA insurance during our time there.

I hope she enjoys GK, it's in a great location if you like rural environments!  The biggest issue is the limited US services provided.  I believe they send everyone to Spang (a two-hour drive) or Ramstein (three hours).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1