Biden recalls IRR

rbigred300

6 hours ago, dream big said:

Everyone calm down, those mobilized will mostly be performing staff augmentation at Ramstein and other HQs drinking Hefeweizen. This should have happened over a year ago but sorry, pronouns and ponytails were of higher importance!

I think most people are calm about this, most realize they're likely not going to be picking up a rifle.  However, even if it is a gig sitting in AOC at Ramstein, sipping Hefeweizen, I still don't want to go.   I've given enough of my life on activations that were a complete waste of time/money.  Now if you tell me it's a nice backwater assignment to a small, Mediterranean coastal town, that I can bring the lady...  Then I could be coaxed into being OK with being called out of retirement.  LOL jk, I'd still pass if able.  Life is finally damn good right now, with plenty of time to do the shit I really want to do.  If I wanted to go to Europe and drink their beer, I'd go on a vacation.  

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, M2 said:

10 U.S. Code § 688 - Retired members: authority to order to active duty; duties

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/688

(a)Authority.—
Under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense, a member described in subsection (b) may be ordered to active duty by the Secretary of the military department concerned at any time.
(b)Covered Members.—Except as provided in subsection (d), subsection (a) applies to the following members of the armed forces:
(1)A retired member of the Regular Army, Regular Navy, Regular Air Force, Regular Marine Corps, or Regular Space Force.
(2)A member of the Retired Reserve who was retired under section 1293, 7311, 7314, 8323, 9311, or 9314 of this title.
(3)A member of the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve.
(c)Duties of Member Ordered to Active Duty.—
The Secretary concerned may, to the extent consistent with other provisions of law, assign a member ordered to active duty under this section to such duties as the Secretary considers necessary in the interests of national defense.
(d)Exclusion of Officers Retired on Selective Early Retirement Basis.—The following officers may not be ordered to active duty under this section:
(1)An officer who retired under section 638 of this title.
(2)An officer who—
(A)after having been notified that the officer was to be considered for early retirement under section 638 of this title by a board convened under section 611(b) of this title and before being considered by that board, requested retirement under section 7311, 8323, or 9311 of this title; and
(B)was retired pursuant to that request.
(e)Limitation of Period of Recall Service.—
(1)A member ordered to active duty under subsection (a) may not serve on active duty pursuant to orders under that subsection for more than 12 months within the 24 months following the first day of the active duty to which ordered under that subsection.
(2)Paragraph (1) does not apply to the following officers:
(A)A chaplain who is assigned to duty as a chaplain for the period of active duty to which ordered.
(B)A health care professional (as characterized by the Secretary concerned) who is assigned to duty as a health care professional for the period of active duty to which ordered.
(C)An officer assigned to duty with the American Battle Monuments Commission for the period of active duty to which ordered.
(D)An officer who is assigned to duty as a defense attaché or service attaché for the period of active duty to which ordered.
(f)Waiver for Periods of War or National Emergency.—
Subsections (d) and (e) do not apply in time of war or of national emergency declared by Congress or the President.
(Added Pub. L. 104–201, div. A, title V, § 521(a), Sept. 23, 1996, 110 Stat. 2515; amended Pub. L. 105–85, div. A, title V, § 502, Nov. 18, 1997, 111 Stat. 1724; Pub. L. 107–107, div. A, title V, § 509(a), Dec. 28, 2001, 115 Stat. 1091; Pub. L. 115–232, div. A, title VIII, § 809(a), Aug. 13, 2018, 132 Stat. 1840; Pub. L. 116–283, div. A, title IX, § 924(b)(4)(I), Jan. 1, 2021, 134 Stat. 3822.)

So, new English translation: If you RETIRED,  You're good.

1 hour ago, HeyEng said:

Thank God! If I ever had to process a voucher through DTS again I think I would jump off a bridge!

This.

Break, Break

Does anyone know how to remove an enormous freshly minted "LA" from one's forehead?  I'm asking for a friend.  

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, FourFans said:

So, new English translation: If you RETIRED,  You're good.

Don’t know what you’re reading, but my interpretation is that the President can order military retirees back to AD under certain conditions.  Unless I’m reading the law incorrectly?

19 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Don’t know what you’re reading, but my interpretation is that the President can order military retirees back to AD under certain conditions.  Unless I’m reading the law incorrectly?

Oh no, you're entirely correct.  He can.  That's not what's happening right now though.  The IRR is different than the Retired Reserve.  There'd be a bloody mutiny if he tried to recall the retired reserve right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FourFans said:

Oh no, you're entirely correct.  He can.  That's not what's happening right now though.  The IRR is different than the Retired Reserve.  There'd be a bloody mutiny if he tried to recall the retired reserve right now.

Concur.  And if he does call up retirees, see Biff for face tattoo ideas.

• Haha 2

The only retired military personnel I ever heard of being recalled was doctors and specifically doctors like trauma surgeons and the like that the military could drop back into service with little or no training.

One would assume that the DOD maintains some sort of database of skills and some sort of matrix timeline of retirees i.e. someone who separated recently vs. someone who has been out for fifteen years.

The database would have to be continuously updated and I suspect that some sort of time cutoff would have to be implemented least the database would grow too large to manage. Or maybe they they just throw darts at a dartboard, I can honestly see either scenario!

1 hour ago, HeyEng said:

One would assume that the DOD maintains some sort of database of skills and some sort of matrix timeline of retirees i.e. someone who separated recently vs. someone who has been out for fifteen years.

what in the history of the DoD manning decisions would make you think they have that level of foresight/competence?

see: https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/3453178/air-force-delays-some-pcss-bonuses/

• Haha 1

Completely speculative, but I wonder if my state commission would prevent me from being activated Federally as a retiree?

The federal government recognizes state defense forces, as per the Compact Clause of the U.S. Constitution, under 32 U.S.C. §109 which provides that state defense forces as a whole may not be called, ordered, or drafted into the armed forces of the United States, thus preserving their separation from the National Guard.

However, under the same law, individual members serving in the state defense force are not exempt from service in the armed forces (i.e., they are not excluded from the draft). Under 32 USC §109(e), "A person may not become a member of a defense force ... if he is a member of a reserve component of the armed forces."

And just to throw some gasoline on this dumpster fire...

United States v. Hooper (1958):

[Those] on the retired list are not mere pensioners in any sense of the word. They form a vital segment of our national defense for their experience and mature judgment are relied upon heavily in times of emergency. The salaries they receive are not solely recompense for past services, but a means devised by Congress to assure their availability and preparedness in future contingencies. This preparedness depends as much upon their continued responsiveness to discipline as upon their continued state of physical health. Certainly, one who is authorized to wear the uniform of his country, to use the title of his grade, who is looked upon as a model of the military way of life, and who receives a salary to assure his availability, is a part of the land or naval forces.

On 7/18/2023 at 8:25 AM, HeyEng said:

Haha!

You have that much faith in DoD / AF IT capabilities?  
My cynicism doesn't come from only the fact that we still use ePEX after 20 years. 
Or that Finance or MPF doesn't have IT support that makes working with them easy. 

The AF puts the "IT" in shit. 

32 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

Haha!

My cynicism doesn't come from only the fact that we still use ePEX after 20 years. 

Even better, there are functions in ePex that you still have to go to internet explorer 'mode' in order for them to work 🙂

On 7/18/2023 at 11:25 AM, HeyEng said:

The only retired military personnel I ever heard of being recalled was doctors and specifically doctors like trauma surgeons and the like that the military could drop back into service with little or no training.

The database would have to be continuously updated and I suspect that some sort of time cutoff would have to be implemented least the database would grow too large to manage. Or maybe they they just throw darts at a dartboard, I can honestly see either scenario!

They can't maintain this matrix for people still in the service. What on earth makes you think they're capable of tracking thousands of veterans? 

On 7/15/2023 at 8:47 AM, SocialD said:

I finally ing retire and our leaderships sheer incompetence and lack of leadership might be pulling be back in....mother ers!  I'm all for doing my duty because our nation is at war and we need people to fight.  But being recalled because our leadership has ed away morale/retention so bad that they can't fill required billets, would really piss me off (my old squadron alone, has two guys volunteering to fill these spots).  If I wasn't returned to my flying unit in a flying billet (retired 1JUL), then don't expect a troop that is your typical guy who is chasing the next assignment/award/etc...  

In all actuality, I'm not too worried about this.  I think this is just a play to open up funding to get more MPA orders for ARC people go fill spots in EUCOM (or wherever else...). 

Funny enough, I saw this link posted on another forum.  I'm certainly not condoning this, and I'll do what's asked of me, because that's what I agreed to do by staying affiliated and in the IRR.  But this got me to thinking, what do they do with people who are out and doing drugs?  Admittedly, I haven't looked into this at all, but these cats say that if you don't actually report, you're not subject to the UCMJ.  If you do report, you're immediately subject to the UCMJ.  

Resist the IRR

2 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Haha!

You have that much faith in DoD / AF IT capabilities?  
Or that Finance or MPF doesn't have IT support that makes working with them easy. 

The last line in my paragraph shows how much faith I have in the system. It’s like those “benefits in name only” the DOD likes to roll out only to never fund or man it!