College Football

O Face

No SEC teams in the championship game (and shouldn't have even been one in the playoffs)... Maybe we can finally have a break from 'SEC is the only conference that matters' attitude next year.

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2023 at 3:04 PM, Sua Sponte said:

Looks like the committee got it right with FSU.

42% of the team, 35 of the 85 players did not play in the game. It wasn't the third string players sitting out... Two of Georgia's players sat out. That game had absolutely no bearing on the level of talent that FSU or Georgia had. 

Some people say it is a culture problem, I don't see that. I think Mike Norvell has a great culture going on right now at Florida State. Why would players want to play a game that doesn't matter? And then risk getting hurt for no reason at all? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VMFA187 said:

Some people say it is a culture problem, I don't see that. I think Mike Norvell has a great culture going on right now at Florida State. Why would players want to play a game that doesn't matter? And then risk getting hurt for no reason at all? 

Because you finish what you started...ABSOLUTELY a culture problem.  At the first hint of trouble all the key FSU players ran for the door and themselves...that says something about a team.  Meanwhile the vast majority of UGA's players stayed and PLAYED...one of the reasons they won Nattys back to back...FINISH what you started.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Because you finish what you started...ABSOLUTELY a culture problem.  At the first hint of trouble all the key FSU players ran for the door and themselves...that says something about a team.  Meanwhile the vast majority of UGA's players stayed and PLAYED...one of the reasons they won Nattys back to back...FINISH what you started.

I see what you're saying and agree to a point, but the problem is bigger than FSU.  I still think FSU should have sat out the bowl to highlight how messed up the process was.  Can't blame the kids for sitting out when they got screwed out of a chance at the title.  The NCAA basically said that they don't care what the FSU record was, the school didn't count because it wasn't SEC.  The players got the message.

I think this is a culture problem, but this would happen at almost any school right now in the same situation.  Not a culture problem at FSU specifically (I detest all Florida teams, so this is painful for me to say), but a culture problem in college sports and our society at large.  There is no real commitment anymore. 

Between the transfer portal and the ability for a kid to commit to a school only to "de-commit" and go to a different school, the NCAA has built a system that rewards continually shopping around for the best deal regardless of any commitment made.  It is only a sad reflection on the rest of our sad society.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

42% of the team, 35 of the 85 players did not play in the game. It wasn't the third string players sitting out... Two of Georgia's players sat out. That game had absolutely no bearing on the level of talent that FSU or Georgia had. 

You’re right, however UGA still would’ve boat raced FSU. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sua Sponte said:

Not happening.

As a UW Alum who not only was at the Sugar Bowl last night in NOLA but has waited 32 years for another shot at a National Title I hate to break it to you but...

There is NO WAY we're leaving Houston without that Trophy in hand! Keep doubting us!

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!

12211182.gif

Edited by ChiliDawg

I think it’s only a matter of time when players will opt out of games during the season, as well. Looking at FSU’s schedule ( not a SOS discussion) but why wouldn’t those same players opt out of easy wins like North Alabama, Wake Forest, Syracuse, etc? They could get hurt in those games too. 

Also, I’ll bet within the next 5 years we’ll see kids going straight to NFL via some new league until they are done with the 3 year moratorium and never even play college.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

I think it’s only a matter of time when players will opt out of games during the season, as well. Looking at FSU’s schedule ( not a SOS discussion) but why wouldn’t those same players opt out of easy wins like North Alabama, Wake Forest, Syracuse, etc? They could get hurt in those games too. 

Also, I’ll bet within the next 5 years we’ll see kids going straight to NFL via some new league until they are done with the 3 year moratorium and never even play college.

Too much money on the table by powerful entities to allow that to happen.

15 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Ok... How many ACC Championship's does Miami have? Didn't you start as an ACC team like two decades ago? Have you ever finished what you started since coming to the ACC?

12 hours ago, Smokin said:

I see what you're saying and agree to a point, but the problem is bigger than FSU.  I still think FSU should have sat out the bowl to highlight how messed up the process was.  Can't blame the kids for sitting out when they got screwed out of a chance at the title.  The NCAA basically said that they don't care what the FSU record was, the school didn't count because it wasn't SEC.  The players got the message.

I think this is a culture problem, but this would happen at almost any school right now in the same situation.  Not a culture problem at FSU specifically (I detest all Florida teams, so this is painful for me to say), but a culture problem in college sports and our society at large.  There is no real commitment anymore. 

Between the transfer portal and the ability for a kid to commit to a school only to "de-commit" and go to a different school, the NCAA has built a system that rewards continually shopping around for the best deal regardless of any commitment made.  It is only a sad reflection on the rest of our sad society.

Concur. 

9 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Guys will continue to play if they have the opportunity to play for the NC. I guarantee you bowl games will get worse as far as participation next year when the playoff expands to 12 teams. 

And why play? Because as we've seen, results on the field during the regular season actually do matter despite what the talking heads at espn would like everyone to think. 

This isn't the military, you don't have to finish shit.  If a player gets a career ending/hindering injury during a bowl game, is the college going to insure them for their potential career earnings losses?  How much does the college make off of a bowl game, how much of that goes to the individual players?  I'm not surprised the FSU players said fuck it, it was a jacked up decision and since they're not playing for a title, why risk it on a dumb bowl that doesn't mean shit?  Then again, I was one of those who had zero problems with Manziel making money off his autographs and appearances.  How much money did A&M make of him playing for them?  Why shouldn't he be able to get in on the action?  Too bad he was a d-bag and fucked it all away.  

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, SocialD said:

This isn't the military, you don't have to finish shit.  If a player gets a career ending/hindering injury during a bowl game, is the college going to insure them for their potential career earnings losses?  How much does the college make off of a bowl game, how much of that goes to the individual players?  I'm not surprised the FSU players said it, it was a jacked up decision and since they're not playing for a title, why risk it on a dumb bowl that doesn't mean shit?  Then again, I was one of those who had zero problems with Manziel making money off his autographs and appearances.  How much money did A&M make of him playing for them?  Why shouldn't he be able to get in on the action?  Too bad he was a d-bag and ed it all away.  

I agree.  Bo Nix knew Auburn would suck and bailed to Oregon.  He was a top qb there.  He would have struggled in auburn.

manziel was a dbag but he put a&m back in the map and brought in millions. Got them in the sec and a new stadium.  

michigan had a top ranked tight end jake butt. Projected 1st round. Blew his knee out in a bowl game and dropped to a late round and never recovered.

I love college football.  But the bowl system was always stupid.  Schools make way too much $$$$ for the players not to get paid and have a say in their career.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

Ok... How many ACC Championship's does Miami have? Didn't you start as an ACC team like two decades ago? Have you ever finished what you started since coming to the ACC?

What in the world? 

So if we are gonna play scoreboard, how many Natty's does FSU have?  Miami has finished what they started five times (should have been six except for a pass interference called 6.9 minutes after the play in double overtime against OSU). 

My comment about "finishing what you started" was the season, regardless if you win or not.  Your comment seems to define finishing as winning or you have failed, which now I get because it matches the current culture at FSU, instant they are not in the CFP almost 50% of your player quit when the vast majority from UGA decided to finish the season.  

15 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

What in the world? 

So if we are gonna play scoreboard, how many Natty's does FSU have?  Miami has finished what they started five times (should have been six except for a pass interference called 6.9 minutes after the play in double overtime against OSU). 

My comment about "finishing what you started" was the season, regardless if you win or not.  Your comment seems to define finishing as winning or you have failed, which now I get because it matches the current culture at FSU, instant they are not in the CFP almost 50% of your player quit when the vast majority from UGA decided to finish the season.  

My apologies, it's slightly offensive when you question a program's culture, which we've had to rebuild from rock bottom due to a previous DEI hire who was smoking weed with the players and out bangin' college chicks instead of leading his team. 

You don't understand why a team who went undefeated no longer wants to participate when they were left out in a historic decision? What happened last weekend? The teams with losses, lost. So results on the field matter, but they didn't for Florida State. I don't fault one of those guys who not playing - I think the entire university should have declined the invitation.