Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

54 minutes ago, DSG said:

The psychology of emotional investment in this conflict is as bizarre to me as professional sports enthusiasm, but far more perverse.

agreed. strange to see such emotional attachment to regional conflict.

1 hour ago, DSG said:

The psychology of emotional investment in this conflict is as bizarre to me as professional sports enthusiasm, but far more perverse.

It shouldn't be. You are no doubt emotionally attached to other things that people find bizarre. It's basic human nature.

Just look at bashi, perhaps the most emotional person on this entire forum, he's just emotionally attached to the other side of the argument.

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

It shouldn't be. You are no doubt emotionally attached to other things that people find bizarre. It's basic human nature.

Just look at bashi, perhaps the most emotional person on this entire forum, he's just emotionally attached to the other side of the argument.

hilarious. love the immaturity.

2 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

agreed. strange to see such emotional attachment to regional conflict.

Far from emotionally attached.  It sucks for the dudes over there.  One is defending their country (despite how you feel about it) and the other is in a supposedly modern battle tank by itself not using any modern tactics getting thrown into the front with no support or training and it shows.  

3 hours ago, uhhello said:

Far from emotionally attached.  It sucks for the dudes over there.  One is defending their country (despite how you feel about it) and the other is in a supposedly modern battle tank by itself not using any modern tactics getting thrown into the front with no support or training and it shows.  

I don't have any specific hatred against Russian soldiers (the ones who don't commit war crimes, anyway).  I also don't think Russia's invasion is justified in any way.  So, seeing Russian tanks get destroyed and the crew run away seems like a win.

Compare that to recent videos of Ukrainian combat footage using platoon and company sized Armored elements in effective combined arms maneuver because we’ve been training them. The Uke’s didn’t start the war capable of that across much of their formations. Mostly individual armored vehicles as supporting assault guns or ambush. Maybe you’d see a platoon but their movement was uncoordinated and sequencing was staggered so like a series of individual punches and not the synchronized sledgehammer that Armor and combined mech infantry functions as when used effectively.

They are growing as a force, and use of western Tanks and IFVs is allowing survivability and carrying lessons to the next fight of the trained soldiers. That’s not something the Russians are getting.

They are still Fires centric where we model off maneuver and I doubt that will ever change for them either culturally or looking at economy of force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DSG said:

What’s not bizarre is that many of us on this very forum have directly contributed to the effort of assisting this country that has been invaded by our (the West’s) second most powerful nemesis. For those of us that have, it’s not “bizarre” to take some pride in seeing our Allies succeed. 

Just because you’ve been hiding behind the flaming dildo shield of AETC (where your only “enemy” is some mythical timeline) doesn’t mean we’ve all been hiding there. 

• Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, Lawman said:

Compare that to recent videos of Ukrainian combat footage using platoon and company sized Armored elements in effective combined arms maneuver because we’ve been training them. The Uke’s didn’t start the war capable of that across much of their formations. Mostly individual armored vehicles as supporting assault guns or ambush. Maybe you’d see a platoon but their movement was uncoordinated and sequencing was staggered so like a series of individual punches and not the synchronized sledgehammer that Armor and combined mech infantry functions as when used effectively.

They are growing as a force, and use of western Tanks and IFVs is allowing survivability and carrying lessons to the next fight of the trained soldiers. That’s not something the Russians are getting.

They are still Fires centric where we model off maneuver and I doubt that will ever change for them either culturally or looking at economy of force.

Concur and it will be see how the Orcs respond.  Combined arms is a multiplier on the battlefield and something the Russian do very poorly, it at all.  It looks like a deal is almost done to get them more funding which will make the spring very interesting.

58 minutes ago, ViperStud said:

Just because you’ve been hiding behind the flaming dildo shield of AETC (where your only “enemy” is some mythical timeline) doesn’t mean we’ve all been hiding there. 

stunning and brave. single mission air medal for you.

Concur and it will be see how the Orcs respond.  Combined arms is a multiplier on the battlefield and something the Russian do very poorly, it at all.  It looks like a deal is almost done to get them more funding which will make the spring very interesting.

The thing is the Russians are following their doctrine for the purpose of the way they wrote it to match equipment and recent fights.

They leveraged IFVs and put bigger guns on BTRs on purpose to fight mounted with little Infantry both to achieve shock value of action because of speed mounted vs dismounted and to make up the value of having a conscript heavy force. They’ve never thought they would need it because they were supposed to follow the principle of annihilation fires followed by maneuver to the objective. It worked against Syrians for the last decade so they embraced it into their system because “this is way better than Chechnya!”

They’re also learning the hard way that the battalion tactical group also worked great…… in Syria… and it has no place in LSCO because it lacks the ass to achieve and exploit the offense. We already figured that out and have been working away from it for the last ten years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I struck a nerve with Bashi, she’s lashing out at me. 

Don’t get me wrong AETC-types, there’s nothing bad with doing the heavy lifting of instructing. I do it. I argue there’s something bad with getting so caught up in that environment that you lose sight of what’s going on in the MAF/CAF worlds. Even if family makes long deployments untenable, there are a lot of meaningful PACAF and USAFE TDYs that can keep you grounded. Take part, lest you lose touch and become a dinosaur. 

38 minutes ago, ViperStud said:

Don’t get me wrong AETC-types, there’s nothing bad with doing the heavy lifting of instructing. I do it. I argue there’s something bad with getting so caught up in that environment that you lose sight of what’s going on in the MAF/CAF worlds. Even if family makes long deployments untenable, there are a lot of meaningful PACAF and USAFE TDYs that can keep you grounded. Take part, lest you lose touch and become a dinosaur. 

I understand what you’re saying, but you aren’t some bastion of geopolitical wisdom.

You thought Libya was a US win and there was an active nuclear program (there wasn’t). It is a failed state and a breeding ground for terrorism.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, LookieRookie said:

I understand what you’re saying, but you aren’t some bastion of geopolitical wisdom.

You thought Libya was a US win and there was an active nuclear program (there wasn’t). It is a failed state and a breeding ground for terrorism.

Context matters, brah. That was in response to Bashi’s claim that we haven’t seen a military W since WW2. OD was a military win, an UN-sanctioned one at that, even if that shitshow country remains a shitshow. Thankfully no one tried to nation-build there, considering how well it was going in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ViperStud said:

not at all, i'm just admiring your stunning bravery! like a peacock strutting at the zoo!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, ViperStud said:

Context matters, brah. That was in response to Bashi’s claim that we haven’t seen a military W since WW2.

we haven't. korea? no. vietnam? no. Gulf War 1? no. GWOT? lol. Libya? Syria? Somalia?

post WW-II American foreign policy has been a disaster and it's not even close.

Just now, BashiChuni said:

we haven't. korea? no. vietnam? no. Gulf War 1? no. GWOT? lol. Libya? Syria? Somalia?

post WW-II American foreign policy has been a disaster and it's not even close.

The greatest squandered hand in world history.  

49 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

tell me more about these brave TDYs to Germany! omfg 🤣

You’re right…rather than contribute to anything relevant to current ops, keep focusing on TP stalls and RCP landing currency. Who’s out of touch?

You’re wrong about Korea and the Gulf War, BTW. SK is a top-15 economy and ranks fairly high on many QOL indices. But, that doesn’t fit in a one-liner that your brain can process so call it a loss. Gulf1 - did the coalition reach its objective (and the UN’s mandate) that Iraq withdraw all forces from Kuwait?

Edited by ViperStud
Bashi is a dumbass

The greatest squandered hand in world history.  

The longest continual span of human prosperity in recorded modern history?

You know we doubled the average human lifespan since WWII right?

17 minutes ago, Lawman said:

The longest continual span of human prosperity in recorded modern history?

You know we doubled the average human lifespan since WWII right?

you're moving the goalposts. the argument is clearly defined as post WWII american military conflicts resulting in victory.

51 minutes ago, ViperStud said:

You’re right…rather than contribute to anything relevant to current ops, keep focusing on TP stalls and RCP landing currency. Who’s out of touch?

You’re wrong about Korea and the Gulf War, BTW. SK is a top-15 economy and ranks fairly high on many QOL indices. But, that doesn’t fit in a one-liner that your brain can process so call it a loss. Gulf1 - did the coalition reach its objective (and the UN’s mandate) that Iraq withdraw all forces from Kuwait?

brother at some point the flaming train ride will end for you too...it's just a part of life. i wish you a successful and happy career, but more importantly a happy life after it ends. cheers!

ps the korean war never ended. hardly a victory in my book.

Edited by BashiChuni

you're moving the goalposts. the argument is clearly defined as post WWII american military conflicts resulting in victory.

Something like 60 million dead between combat and civilian casualties…

Yeah we should really feel bad about “losing” since then.

You’re a loon to think we have anything to apologize for in the status quo that was maintained between then and here. Especially if you go full nationalist view point and only care about the cost in lives to the worlds only remaining super power.

We won the last 70 years, you’re attempt to try and define it by losses in small scale conflicts is just more of you trying to find a way to explain how the sky is falling.

8 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

tell me more about these brave TDYs to Germany! omfg 🤣

You were the one literally scoffing, and laughing, at dudes contributing to current ops. If you’re content burying yourself in trainers, good for you - but belittling those who want to do that AND/OR stay relevant in our country’s current military ops, that reeks of insecurity.

I stand by my comment (like many) you refuse to address - it isn’t “bizarre” to be happy about seeing the people we’ve trained and advised firsthand experiencing success. You dismiss that as a bunch of dudes sitting in their parents’ basements cheering for Russian casualties while watching Red Dawn and Rocky IV on repeat. Again, that reeks of insecurity.