Late-Rated to fighters?

I’m an active duty Capt who managed to escape the MSG and about to start UPT at Columbus.

I heard some gouge (from two Lt FAIPs) about late rated guys who end up tracking T-38s rarely end up in a fighter. 

Do they not like sending older folks to fighters (I’m 29)?  Is there some truth here or is it just anecdotal Lt rumor?

P.S I’m still very much a free agent on what I’d like to fly, I’m not a fighters or bust dude just after information 

If you’re the best pilot you will get what you want.  In my experience age has nothing to do with drops.  Plenty of fighter guys that were older/faips.

Anecdotally, older guys often had other responsibilities like a family to take care of, so I saw some of them that couldn’t put in as much work as the single 21 year olds.  But there is nothing stopping you from flying whatever you want other than standard luck and timing (which affects everyone).

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, brawnie said:

If you’re the best pilot you will get what you want.  In my experience age has nothing to do with drops.  Plenty of fighter guys that were older/faips.

Anecdotally, older guys often had other responsibilities like a family to take care of, so I saw some of them that couldn’t put in as much work as the single 21 year olds.  But there is nothing stopping you from flying whatever you want other than standard luck and timing (which affects everyone).

That’s good to hear, I was just surprised when their advice was to go for T-1s because if I went 38s as a Capt I’d end up in a bomber or E-3...

That’s good to hear, I was just surprised when their advice was to go for T-1s because if I went 38s as a Capt I’d end up in a bomber or E-3...

Not true, in fact captains who go thru upt often get hooked up due to being the class leader = subjectively higher flight commander rating. I saw it plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Uptapplicant2019 said:

If that’s the kind of advice they’re giving you I’d seek better folks to get advice from. That’s nonsense. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

12 hours ago, Uptapplicant2019 said:

You could do far worse than to “end up” in a bomber...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

LTs are brilliant, but this isn’t their area of expertise. If you need to talk your way out of an accidental drunken home invasion: they’re your experts. “It looks just like my house, and of course I piss in the living room; don’t you?!”

Kick ass, and don’t give up something you want. 

Being old just means you’ll spend less time than the average stud figuring out how to be an officer. (Which is good because it will take you more time to memorize things than your 23 year old classmates. Also longer to pee.) The SRO thing isn’t anything new: Help the LTs prioritize, run rumor/made-up-crisis control, (gently/delicately) point out AETC douchery so they don’t think it’s normal, and help/call/show up when they have admin issues on base. Things you would do for any new guys anywhere else. 

If you work hard and have a little luck and timing on your side, you’ll get what you want. If you don’t get the luck, there’s a 95% chance you’ll be in love with your airframe in a year anyway. If you’re not, the U-2, B-2 and other selective hiring units will still be hiring.

Edited by jice
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, FishBowl said:

My baby class in 38s had a prior-RPA captain drop Raptors. It’s possible, just always work your most goodest.  

Cuz that could have gone an ironic, big blue, other direction completely.

I dropped a Viper at 30 and my wife had our third kid during phase III. Be a good dude, help people out, realize your classmates aren’t the competition - the syllabus is, put in the work. Do that and you’ll do as well as possible. Most of all, enjoy the process. It’s a hell of an opportunity. 

• Upvote 2

I'm a late to rate guy, with a kid, dropped Vipers and I'm at the B-course now. I know of four other Captains who went 38s of them they dropped RC-135s, B-2s, F-15Es, and F-16s. Just some data for you. I think that is bad gouge that you got. Being a Capt will not and should not prevent you from dropping a fighter if that's what you want.

• Upvote 1