Thoughts on the Air Force's Electronic Warfare Sustainability

theSituation

Yes! This is the perfect place to talk about the air Force's EW capabilities and vulnerabilities.

(but seriously, find something else to talk about)

Are you saying that talking about the Air Force attempting to retire an asset that we recognize as valuable is tantamount to treason?

• Upvote 5

EW capability is important.... but I can't see how keeping any type of xC-130H variant around makes sense with the bulk of the C-130H slick fleet in the trash heap already.

The majority of the C-130H fleet has been in the guard/reserve for years. The ARC hasn't lost very many tails lately and there are a few new H model units-MT, CT and Mansfield.

So just because AD is getting rid of Hs doesn't mean the "bulk of the fleet is in the trash heap"

The majority of the C-130H fleet has been in the guard/reserve for years. The ARC hasn't lost very many tails lately and there are a few new H model units-MT, CT and Mansfield.

So just because AD is getting rid of Hs doesn't mean the "bulk of the fleet is in the trash heap"

Haven't we at least halved the numbers of airframes at this point?

Divesting EC-130 is actually the right thing to do, but only if the mission equipment is moved to something faster and higher flying.

So, this is similar to the A-10 debate. The af is trying to cut a platform/capability before having a viable replacement. Simply wrong and short sighted in my opinion. Especially considering our history of extremely long acquisitions processes.

Agreed, but having the option is a good thing.

Flexibility is the key to airpower, or so I've been told. If I had to choose one or the other I'd rather have something with a long on-station time over faster airspeed.

I think I'm tracking on the intent of your original post. I just want a new fat-kid EW bird that can fill the same role as the EC-130 in the SEAD triad. Something with lots of room for expansion of new capes, has a long dwell time on station, and is capable of finding it's own targets, etc. If that means putting it on a 2-eng 777, cool. If it means putting it on Js, also cool. I thought C-17 were the answer for a while, but that's gas guzzling SUV that's maybe not worth the induced fuel costs for the additional benefit. Really I just want the AF to quit dropping EW in priority. It's too important a force multiplier to be shelved.

Annnnd at this point I'm putting a pin in it. We'll pick it up if we ever cross paths in a more appropriate forum.

• Upvote 2

The Air Force is too in love with stealth and cyber to deal with EW. They've passed the buck to the Navy, and luckily for the USAF they take it much more seriously.

But if we need a platform to get the AF in the mood then I suggest something like this:

Raytheon.jpgrtn_219843.jpg

Raytheon successfully tests integrated electronic attack system on Gulfstream jet

Missionize this kind of a platform but if that's a non-starter then why not an EB-1B? Range, speed, generator power and capacity. Now you just need a 10 billion to get it done.

Raytheon successfully tests integrated electronic attack system on Gulfstream jet

Missionize this kind of a platform but if that's a non-starter then why not an EB-1B? Range, speed, generator power and capacity. Now you just need a 10 billion to get it done.

I'm a believer in modernizing the entire fatkid fleet of AWACS, RJ's, JSTARS, EC's, and maybe even a few other cats and dogs to a 737-800 or 777 baseline in much the same way as we did the 707's back in the day.

I'm a believer in modernizing the entire fatkid fleet of AWACS, RJ's, JSTARS, EC's, and maybe even a few other cats and dogs to a 737-800 or 777 baseline in much the same way as we did the 707's back in the day.

Would not be a bad idea either. The Navy is not so sure the F-35's LO will be enough and are bulking up EW, the AF should take notice.

F-35’s Stealth, EW Not Enough, So JSF And Navy Need Growlers; Boeing Says 50-100 More

Edited by Clark Griswold

There's potentially a shit-ton of money to be saved long-term by having a common logistics tail across multiple MDSs.

This of course means the idea is a non-starter for the AF.

• Upvote 2