Is Command becoming that undesirable?

Alaska_ABM

This is unfortunate, because those are the people we want as our leaders, and the people the Air Force wants as our leaders. Perhaps some of the buffoonery lately is because so few qualified, motivated people are out there to select for these positions that we end up with whoever is left.

This. That's one of the main reasons I tried to VSP. I think the trajectory is going to be lower in the future.

A LtCol in the Army is a big damn deal where it seems like you cant swing a dead cat without hitting one at an AF Base.

At one point a few years back, my SQ had 42 LtCols.

That's not a typo.

Wait, what? Was one of them the snacko?

God no, that's too much like work. Therefore, it was pushed off on the Booms.

To a lot of them, the snack bar magically restocked itself with no monetary input from them, perpetuating the "cheap bastard airline pilot" stereotype.

And 1 pissed off Major making Popcorn?

Jesus.... There are 7 maybe 8 LtCols in an Aviation Brigade in the Army.

At that time, there were less than a dozen Lts, Capts, and Majors (total) to offset the LtCols... and no popcorn machine.

Roughly half those LtCols punched the "Retire" button when our mobilization was made official, but before it actually started. Several others were close enough to sanctuary that they mobilized, dropped their sanctuary letters during their mobilization period, and finished their time with the AD, and now collect an AD retirement.

Only a handful of those 42 still remain, flying the bare minimum for currency.

When I was in the other service, squadrons had one, or maybe two LtCols - the CO and maybe the XO.

[/end thread derail]

edit: spelin is tuff

Edited by JarheadBoom

And 1 pissed off Major making Popcorn?

Jesus.... There are 7 maybe 8 LtCols in an Aviation Brigade in the Army.

Probably because the vast majority of the officers/line pilots in an AVN Bde are WOs. Tough to compare an Army flying unit to an AF one. Then again, looking at the Navy, I don't think you'd find many Navy flying squadrons with so many O-5s.

One of the squadrons I was in while still RegAF had so many O-5s in it, some were simply doing scheduling (something that LTs do in most other squadrons). Others were "ADOs"...and I put the quotes around it because that was just a title. They mostly sat in the "ADO" office pretending to do some kind of work.

That's always been a bone of contention with the E's in many reserve flying squadrons, more Ltcol. than you can shake a stick at, but when it comes time to promote an E they act like it's going to break the bank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Just to be clear, he's in a Reserve sq. The AD sqs only have 1 or 2 Lt Cols

Mmmm, like anything AF, it depends. When it suits the AF just to have bodies around (Creech), the O5's stack up like cordwood. Not that it adds much to the discussion, just pointing out that there are exceptions to every rule.

A line fighter squadron? CC and DO. That's it.

My favorite is when the war on abbreviations rears its ugly head, but of course you still can't use more than one bullet. Wordsmithing at its finest.

We do it to ourselves.

Edited by Champ Kind
  • Upvote 1

God no, that's too much like work. Therefore, it was pushed off on the Booms.

To a lot of them, the snack bar magically restocked itself with no monetary input from them, perpetuating the "cheap bastard airline pilot" stereotype.

At that time, there were less than a dozen Lts, Capts, and Majors (total) to offset the LtCols... and no popcorn machine.

Roughly half those LtCols punched the "Retire" button when our mobilization was made official, but before it actually started. Several others were close enough to sanctuary that they mobilized, dropped their sanctuary letters during their mobilization period, and finished their time with the AD, and now collect an AD retirement.

Only a handful of those 42 still remain, flying the bare minimum for currency.

When I was in the other service, squadrons had one, or maybe two LtCols - the CO and maybe the XO.

[/end thread derail]

edit: spelin is tuff

I think it's relevant, if there are 3 O-5's in the SQ, everyone knows the deal, everyone knows where they fit, but the rest, are they being prepped for command or just put out to pasture? Who knows, and I can see why so many would get out.

I think it's relevant, if there are 3 O-5's in the SQ, everyone knows the deal, everyone knows where they fit, but the rest, are they being prepped for command or just put out to pasture? Who knows, and I can see why so many would get out.

At least 30 of those 42 were merely flying for currency - US currency. Most of them would tell you with a straight face that they were just there for "spare change", and to continue padding their retirement points.

- #1/6 Phx Egl brd chrs; 2-star lauded "best seen in 20 yrs"

"lauded" is truly one of my favorites.

*important person walks through squadron on a tour looking at stuff.

*notice they're not saying much...

*uh oh. My OPR bullet is fading quick!! Say something!!!!

*Joking* "So our squadron is the best you've seen isn't it?"

*important person* "Haha! For sure. You guys are doing great. Keep up the great work!"

-Outstanding ldrshp--4-star lauded "best squadron in AF"

• Upvote 6

• 1 year later...
On 10/6/2014 at 1:57 AM, Infamous said:

"lauded" is truly one of my favorites.

*important person walks through squadron on a tour looking at stuff.

*notice they're not saying much...

*uh oh. My OPR bullet is fading quick!! Say something!!!!

*Joking* "So our squadron is the best you've seen isn't it?"

*important person* "Haha! For sure. You guys are doing great. Keep up the great work!"

-Outstanding ldrshp--4-star lauded "best squadron in AF"

I once saw a guy get a 4-star lauded comment from his dad... who happened to be a 4-star. haha!