China & Chinese Shenanigans

Marlboro BLACK

3 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

False.  One man standing up for what's RIGHT turns into a bunch of men standing up for what's right.  It's called leading.

Who gets to define what is RIGHT?  Last I checked, the military isn’t a democracy.

And standing up for what this guy believed is right didn’t work out too well for him…

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2022/03/07/the-unmaking-of-lt-col-stuart-scheller/

I don't disagree that the battle is uphill, however the alternatives of tolerating the BS (which will only lead to more BS for us to deal with) or worse, giving up and accepting the support noners running the wing, are completely unpalatable to me.  I refuse.  I'm not going to email Mini direct, but I sure as hell won't let the FSS queens walk all over me and the people I'm responsible for.  It's up to operators to make sure the mission comes first.  Yes, I want Mini to push for real changes in the system, but I'm certainly not going to wait for him or someone else to do it.  I personally won't change the whole Air Force, but if enough of us stop putting up with the BS, we will.

As to the Facebook activism, yeah, no.  I've never once heard of someone changing anything for the good by spouting off on facebook.

Edited by FourFans130
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, FourFans130 said:

I don't disagree that the battle is uphill, however the alternatives of tolerating the BS (which will only lead to more BS for us to deal with) or worse, giving up and accepting the support noners running the wing, are completely unpalatable to me.  I refuse.  I'm not going to email Mini direct, but I sure as hell won't let the FSS queens walk all over me and the people I'm responsible for.  It's up to operators to make sure the mission comes first.  Yes, I want Mini to push for real changes in the system, but I'm certainly not going to wait for him or someone else to do it.  I personally won't change the whole Air Force, but if enough of us stop putting up with the BS, we will.

As to the Facebook activism, yeah, no.  I've never once heard of someone changing anything for the good by spouting off on facebook.

Yeah, putting folks on blast (social media) hasn't resulted in anything positive for anyone.....Give me a break.  There are loads of cases where people tried to get the right thing done over and over with no result and the second its on social media, suddenly it gets the attention it needs.  

21 minutes ago, uhhello said:

Yeah, putting folks on blast (social media) hasn't resulted in anything positive for anyone.....Give me a break.  There are loads of cases where people tried to get the right thing done over and over with no result and the second its on social media, suddenly it gets the attention it needs.  

For example?

3 minutes ago, FourFans130 said:

For example?

You don’t remember this recent gem?

‘Air Force fires colonel who berated subordinates for following safety protocols‘

“The Donovan story picked up a large following on social media forums like the unofficial Air Force subreddit and the Facebook page Air Force amn/nco/snco, where airmen could relate to the sense that the unit’s leaders were unconcerned for the safety of their subordinates.”

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-force-col-donovan-tinker-relieved/?amp

3 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

You don’t remember this recent gem?

‘Air Force fires colonel who berated subordinates for following safety protocols‘

“The Donovan story picked up a large following on social media forums like the unofficial Air Force subreddit and the Facebook page Air Force amn/nco/snco, where airmen could relate to the sense that the unit’s leaders were unconcerned for the safety of their subordinates.”

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-force-col-donovan-tinker-relieved/?amp

Fair enough.  That's hardly the rule though.  It still seems to me like taking gripes public via social media invariably generates unintended consequences.  It's a sad commentary on the state of our leadership that toxic situations like that one had to make it to social media to get solved.

@Danger41

The tactics examples you mentioned are all good stuff and the reason I get out of bed in the morning as well. Don't get me wrong I love my job. I love flying fast jets and I love trying to get better every day and improve how the CAF does things. Like you, I also have been involved in some meaningful changes on the tactics and instruction side. I also really really care about teaching the FNGs coming up the right way to do things. From an ops perspective I am 0% jaded. 

But there is a whole other side of my job, and that's the one I'm pissed about. I notice none of the innovations you cited have anything to do with queep reduction or admin.  The administrivia side of the Air Force is kind to those who "play the game" so the only people who ever make rank high enough to change the game are the people who played it in the first place.  

You asked why I want specific directives from top level leaders. It's because I believe that's the only thing that will dismantle the queep empire that's been built. I don't need specifics from majcom/ccs about tactics or mission leadership or how to manage my flight. I want specifics because generic inspirational fluff does not make it down through the 69 layers of administrators to result in any change at squadron level.

A perfect example of this: a few years ago when Debbie James was the secaf, they did an additional duties reduction initiative. Big email got sent out about it saying something generic about how we're going to get leaner and reduce add'l duties. Literally the next day I was appointed the squadron emergency management rep, and DTS AO.  The secaf email and my new appointments email were sitting right next to each other in my inbox. The next one was some horseshit about looking for volunteers to run that year's CFC. I screenshotted it at the time because I couldn't believe the irony of these 3 emails sitting next to each other.

But anyway, cheers. I'll keep trying to fight the good fight, get better in the jet, and the moment I can get chat gpt to automate the queep side of my job I will spread the gospel far and wide. 

Edited by Pooter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Danger41 said:

I’m not in AMC either but I have CYA by the overt and repeated directions from the  Chief of Staff (the last 3 really) to make it happen/innovate/accelerate change/a bunch of other platitudes that is a massive opportunity. Why do you want overly specific guidance as a crew dog captain? I can give that to an Airman and have him do exactly what I say.

You probably know better than I that the AF is built upon regs that tell you only what you’re allowed to do. If you do anything outside what is specifically stated then you’re wrong. With this alone in mind I get the sentiment about wanting specific guidance. When I think about the sq, og, and wg/cc I’ve dealt with in the CAF, I have zero trust that they would have my back based on this memo. Obviously I can’t speak for AMC.

I saw it when the approval to roll-up sleeves started and we had dudes carrying around the memo so they could tell chiefs to get bent. I’ve heard numerous stories about chiefs arguing with CGOs about how it’s not allowed because the reg hasn’t changed yet. This was rolling up our ffing sleeves mind you. I’m sure you’ve heard similar stories. The “if the reg doesn’t make sense, then do what makes sense and we’ll get the reg changed.” was a warm fuzzy for about 6.9 sec. Standing infront of the Bobs and explaining why we should violate a reg. because it’s the right thing to do for the sq/training etc, when you know all they care about is getting that school slot is a daunting thing for a young Capt.

Bottom line. I have zero trust in the majority of individuals in leadership positions that I’ve dealt with in the CAF. CGO/FGOs need actually backing to make these changes because when the bros don’t trust their local leadership they need something specific and definable to back-up their thinking. Otherwise it’s onto the shit list and guard life here we come.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

You probably know better than I that the AF is built upon regs that tell you only what you’re allowed to do. If you do anything outside what is specifically stated then you’re wrong

I agree with your overall premise, but this statement gets thrown around a lot. I have experienced the opposite for nearly my entire career. Don’t violate a reg (e.g. a “must/shall” or “prohibited/don’t” statement), and you’ll be fine. A is always good to go if it doesn’t explicitly say you must do B or cannot do A.

7 minutes ago, gearhog said:

Short busses?

School bus sized balloons or balloon sized school busses?

3 minutes ago, uhhello said:

You're right.  We should absolutely not joke about it.  Lets all take a moment of reflection and pray for our leaders in this tense moment.  

Let's hope they rice to the occasion. Deciding what to do in this unbelievabao situation must be tso stressful.

• Haha 1

Hey guys, don’t blow-up the issue here…

Edited by Swizzle
It should burn, time to pump up our balloon-interceptor balloon. We cannot accept these inflated risks.

Gotta let the Raptors kill it so they can actually get an air to air kill before they retire the jet. 

Or even better would be the Strike that killed the helo with a bomb AND a wayward MQ-1 back in the day. Add a balloon to that livery for the most eclectic kill roster ever.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1