Is this a social experiment to find racism?

Catbox

I'm currently at a well known undisclosed location close to the AG. All of the chow halls do ethnic food nights on any given day of the week; Monday=Taco Bar, Tuesday=Gyros, Friday=Pasta, etc...

At the chow hall closest to ops someone has put up a white board welcoming people to the chow hall and then letting people know the menu of the day.

No problem except recently there are drawings to accompany the ethnic menu nights. Taco Monday has included a Speedy Gonzalez and a luchadore mask. Italian Friday had Mario and Luigi with the words "you'sa welcoma to our-a Pasta night-a" and just yesterday the Curry bar had a picture of the Taj Mahal with the classic Apu/7-11 stereotype saying: "Thank you, come again."

I am not offended by this in the slightest but then again there hasn't been a ruggedly handsome Marlboro man drawn in caricature on steak night. Maybe I'm a a little offended because the jokes are so bad. But having said that, in this day and age should I be reporting this? Is this a basewide test to see how many of us can spot racism when its being presented right in front of our very eyes? I'd hate to be the lone holdout of the shake down who's name was not checked off the "can spot bad stereotypes" list.

Any help since the 'ol sticks and stones saying doesn't apply anywhere? Really looking for some senior leadership advice on this, should any be around.

Edited by Catbox

About four years ago, the Deid moved "soul food" day (fried chicken, collared greens, etc.) from whatever the normal day is to Monday for Martin Luther King Day. As a white male, even I was offended by this... because I was anticipating tacos for the entire 16 hour duty-day. Any know if they have done this lately?

Edited by FUSEPLUG

I'm pretty sure the line would be drawn at "Housewife Cookin' Night". The poster would promote a barefoot, prego, gal in an apron, holding a kid in one arm, frying pan in the other, while another rugrat tugs at her skirt. The menu could include meatloaf, pot-roast, and steak. If not prepared correctly, male patrons would be expected to correct the situation immediately. Pretty sure that would offend appropriately. Who wants to ops check?

• Upvote 1

I'm currently at a well known undisclosed location close to the AG. All of the chow halls do ethnic food nights on any given day of the week; Monday=Taco Bar, Tuesday=Gyros, Friday=Pasta, etc...

At the chow hall closest to ops someone has put up a white board welcoming people to the chow hall and then letting people know the menu of the day.

No problem except recently there are drawings to accompany the ethnic menu nights. Taco Monday has included a Speedy Gonzalez and a luchadore mask. Italian Friday had Mario and Luigi with the words "you'sa welcoma to our-a Pasta night-a" and just yesterday the Curry bar had a picture of the Taj Mahal with the classic Apu/7-11 stereotype saying: "Thank you, come again."

I am not offended by this in the slightest but then again there hasn't been a ruggedly handsome Marlboro man drawn in caricature on steak night. Maybe I'm a a little offended because the jokes are so bad. But having said that, in this day and age should I be reporting this? Is this a basewide test to see how many of us can spot racism when its being presented right in front of our very eyes? I'd hate to be the lone holdout of the shake down who's name was not checked off the "can spot bad stereotypes" list.

Any help since the 'ol sticks and stones saying doesn't apply anywhere? Really looking for some senior leadership advice on this, should any be around.

I think this ethnic food lineup with pictures is fucking awesome. And by the way, explain to me how this even remotely constitutes "racism."

I think this ethnic food lineup with pictures is ######ing awesome. And by the way, explain to me how this even remotely constitutes "racism."

In the same way a pic of dudes wife in her mom bathing suit constitutes blatently offensive earth shattering sexual images...this constitutes racism.

Of f*** I dont know. Isn't everything sexist and racist and xxxist anymore anyways?

I can only imagine what pictures will be displayed and what will be served during "Pride Month." Yeah, I went there since someone high above obviously thinks it is a great idea to promote diversity, culture and awareness in our services. Can't wait to see how it gets "promoted"....

I can only imagine what pictures will be displayed and what will be served during "Pride Month."

Bratwurst, Italian sausage, tuna, etc..

The Bloodhound Gang "I wish I was queer so I could get chicks" playing in the background constantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MgxF_tCmzk

About four years ago, the Deid moved "soul food" day (fried chicken, collared greens, etc.) from whatever the normal day is to Monday for Martin Luther King Day. As a white male, even I was offended by this... because I was anticipating tacos for the entire 16 hour duty-day. Any know if they have done this lately?

I love soul food made specifically, and only by black people. Everything about a meal like that is delicious and I have never been more satisfied. The same can be said about Mexican food made my Mexicans. We celebrate these attributes for months on end, and denigrate anyone who points out the singularities in the different cultures. It is all bullshit and it's bad for you (not the food, but the bullshit).

This racism and sexism stuff needs to stop. I do not know how anyone has the time to do their job while simultaneously waging war against every stupid joke that may or may not be done in poor taste. How does anyone maintain their sanity taking offense to bad caricature or sexual innuendos? My guess is these people have never experienced hate or discrimination.

Do not get me wrong, racism and sexism are still alive but not nearly as pervasive as people want to believe. Just recently at a school-sponsored event some guy refused to shake my "nigger hand" (I am Asian so I am confused as anyone). That is an example of what is hateful, not some blonde pin-up on the side of an airplane or a Looney Toons character advertising tacos.

• Upvote 1

German day on Saturday featured a caricature of a german girl in a Dirndl, with the anatomy and artistic merits approaching WWII nose art. Operations came to a complete stand still, the chow hall (excuse me, DFAC) was put on quarantine and we had an afternoon of mass breifings to talk about the evil of sexism that had been visited upon us. A few very brave young SrA got up and berated all the field grade officers for our insensitivity.

They say that DFAC is closed for kitchen renovations but in reality, the AF sexism disinfection team is having to scrub the place from top bottom to remove the scourge of cartoon cleavage.

Edited by Catbox
  • Upvote 1