FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

Ring...ring...

"Deborah, it's Mark"

"Hi!"

"Hey, I need a SECAF waiver to approve a bunch of my officers TERA/VSP apps..."

"Whatever you need, Mark"

"Thank you ma'am...official paperwork to follow, ok?"

"Sounds good, I'll let my staff know to expect it"

Done.

If it'd be done, it'd be done, that's for sure.

Devil's advocate...

The way I (as confirmed by my WG/CC) understand it, the current guidance will not allow for most ADSC waivers. With a presumably large number of the VSP apps requiring some sort of waiver, perhaps this is a stall tactic until SecAF approval to waive these commitments is granted. Otherwise they risk starting the whole application process from scratch for the majority of VSP'ers.

Wishful thinking? Probably.

If that's the case...fine...but then they shouldnt have denied the first batch like they did and instead just let them sit at AFPC with the others.

Keep in mind the VSP mandatory separation date is NLT 29 Sep with any terminal leave to be completed by that date. I know the window is open until 1 May, but the majority if us who submitted right out of the gate probably did so for 2 reasons - to have a better shot at approval and to have more time to get our shit together. Is it too much to ask for our leadership to just do a few things correctly when people's lives are at stake? You know, the same thing we do every day and would be crucified if we failed even once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it too much to ask for our leadership to just do a few things correctly when people's lives are at stake? You know, the same thing we do every day and would be crucified if we failed even once.

I know I'm going to catch a lot of crap for this, but in a way this is what the big wigs are doing. They're ensuring that they can execute the mission and keep people safe in the jets and on the ground while letting a bunch of experience leave. Should they have figured this all out before offering it up? Yes. Was this their own fault? Yes. Is it strange that they couldn't see this coming? Yes (lot of good those climate surveys are doing). Am I pissed I got rejected for VSP? Yes. If they force me to stay in and I end up gassing up a fighter that blows up Kim Jong Il, will I be glad they forced me to stay? Probably.

I'm just guessing, but I'd say that some of the delay is probably trying to figure out how to get more of us to Palace Chase. They probably should have had a Palace Chase window open first and then a VSP window, but it's too late now.

I know I'm going to catch a lot of crap for this, but in a way this is what the big wigs are doing. They're ensuring that they can execute the mission and keep people safe in the jets and on the ground while letting a bunch of experience leave. Should they have figured this all out before offering it up? Yes. Was this their own fault? Yes. Is it strange that they couldn't see this coming? Yes (lot of good those climate surveys are doing). Am I pissed I got rejected for VSP? Yes. If they force me to stay in and I end up gassing up a fighter that blows up Kim Jong Il, will I be glad they forced me to stay? Probably.

You're right, they screwed up again after publicly stating there would not be a repeat of 2011. I personally think that's what they are trying to figure out right now, how to let a certain number of those who applied get out like they said they would.

If you were denied VSP I would re-apply immediately. When/if I get the rejection letter, I will continuously resubmit until the window closes or my boss orders me to stop trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

FSS buddy said that he got an email from A1 today that said LAF Majors board for the 05 dudes will have a promotion opportunity of 85%, down from the traditional 90%. I wonder how many guys in this YG will get denied VSP; get retained on the RIF, and then get passed over and get hosed on the sep pay because they're offered continuation as a Capt a year later on the second passover.

At least those CCs are getting and giving information. Literally everything I know about this s#*! show has come from this forum. I routinely call a contact at MPF to validate it. My CC has absolutely no clue what is going on and doesn't seem to care if I offer to give him updates.

Same. I am, frankly, shocked at the lack of information at all levels of base leadership where I am.

Has anyone gotten a good explanation on how 13-65 trumped 14-08? There are no references to VSP in 13-65.

Facepalm. 13-65 governs ADSC waivers. Therefore if applying for VSP under 14-08 with an ADSC you must reference 13-65.

FSS buddy said that he got an email from A1 today that said LAF Majors board for the 05 dudes will have a promotion opportunity of 85%, down from the traditional 90%.

I saw a similar email...but the one I saw with the 85% for O-4's was specifically for JAG types.

I saw a similar email...but the one I saw with the 85% for O-4's was specifically for JAG types.

That checks with what I saw as well.

From AMC-A1 promotion opportunity:

LAF 75% to Lt Col

LAF-J:

Col 62%

Lt Col 65%

Maj 85%

Also of note...selective continuation not guarenteed. Officers twice passed over will be continued IAW OSD policy. That policy states that if within 4 years of retirement, you'll be continued. That concerns me as many people could fall short of 4 years depending on commissioning date and what date they choose to calculate 4 years from (board date or maybe notification date?).

Oh, more more gem from that A1 brief:

A possible look into how AFPC rack-n-stack VSP & TERA apps.

Rack-N-stack

AFSC

Grade

TAFMSD

If no ADSC, approved first then

ADSC (least remaining)

Time in grade (not sure if more or less is good)

Time in service (not sure if more or less is good)

CC's recommendation

No indication as to when AFPC will start batch processing.

Good Luck!

Anyone see the NEW statement of understanding for the VSP types? The one with the new paragraph e stating that all future disability payments processed by the VA will be withheld until the VSP is paid back in full?

I actually think thats standard for all separation packages. How that is legal or ethical to deny a vet disability payments they have earned, I have no idea.

He's dead, you know.

• Upvote 1

So, now that I'm back from Camp Cupcake and my VSP was denied, I decided to submit Palace Chase paperwork. After getting spun up on the new PDSM (apparently re-written to specifically include pilots so the AF can avoid VSP payouts), I called the in-service recruiter I'd been working with before Farce Shaping 2014 kicked off. She told me the UPT ADSC waiver authority issues affecting VSP also apply to FY14 Palace Chase, and I'm ineligible for the FY program too.

Because our organization is inept, I'm thankfully still eligible to apply under the regular PC program which has a slightly different routing through the wickets so I've got my fingers crossed it gets approved.

FWIW, I've never tried so hard to get fired in my life.