FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

How many years did he have? Lt Cols that were not twice passed over were not suppose to be eligible. If he is twice passed over then he has more than 20 and TERA is not the right word. SERB is.

I asked him to clarify if it was TERA or SERB, he said TERA, but he has a little over 19 years in...maybe he was confused? I don't mean to add confusion to this RUMINT mill.

I asked him to clarify if it was TERA or SERB, he said TERA, but he has a little over 19 years in...maybe he was confused? I don't mean to add confusion to this RUMINT mill.

Wow, I think he needs to log-in and say what he did. A little over 19 years when you put your paperworrk in is usualy called retireing, not TERA or SERB.

We had 2x "Force Management Townhalls" today at CVS. Didn't go but did email the FSS POC ahead of time to see if it'd even be worth it.

The POC was actually a really helpful Captain and I got good info without sitting through an hour of pain in the base theater. She straight sent me the 13-130 as they have it at the FSS and caveated it by saying that the "no-joke eligibility chart" isn't done yet; i.e. the red/blue one we have out now basically is worthless. Air Staff is taking probably IVO 2 more weeks and will release final eligibility information as well as the actual PSDMs in "late Jan or early Feb."

I'll throw that in to all the other random RUMINT here on BO.net. Overall 100% agree this is the best source of info on this whole mess.

Since you brought up RUMINT, don't be surprised if it drops tomorrow before the long weekend. HAF/A1's target was the 17th but we all know how everything has been slipping to the right.

I'm guessing 13-130/131 will be replaced by a totally different numbered document since it never officially got released and we are now in CY14.

Edited by PanchBarnes

Wow, I think he needs to log-in and say what he did. A little over 19 years when you put your paperworrk in is usualy called retireing, not TERA or SERB.

Part of TERA was that anyone with 19+ years was automatically eligible regardless of their AFSC. That is an easy one… if someone didn't hit 20 yrs until Dec and they put in for TERA it just means they can retire at 19 yrs and 8 months on 1 Aug. As an O-5 they could have stayed in past 20 so that is a no-brainer to approve those which is probably why it happened so fast.

Edited by Rusty Pipes

Part of TERA was that anyone with 19+ years was automatically eligible regardless of their AFSC. That is an easy one… if someone didn't hit 20 yrs until Dec and they put in for TERA it just means they can retire at 19 yrs and 8 months on 1 Aug. As an O-5 they could have stayed in past 20 so that is a no-brainer to approve those which is probably why it happened so fast.

Yeah, that sounds right, he has another 2 or 3 months on AD, so it'll be something like 19.5 years when he retires

Lt Cols that were not twice passed over were not suppose to be eligible. If he is twice passed over then he has more than 20 and TERA is not the right word. SERB is.

O-5's not passed over are eligible for TERA.

O-5's not passed over are eligible for TERA.

Not in my year group, unless they changed it, again...

Added:

Wow, they did change it. The way it reads now anyone over 15 can do it. Would have been nice to know before I deployed.

More added:

Awesome, "updated 13 Jan 14" deployed 6 Jan 14. Also saw the ESERB can go after Lt Cols that are only once passed over. That is kind of messed up. Maybe I should go ahead and finish AWC.... on second thought.. No, that course sucks.

Edited by Butters
  • Upvote 1

Not in my year group, unless they changed it, again...

You may be ineligible for any number of reasons (year group, AFS, pending disciplinary action,...), but not being twice passed over isn't one.

1. The FY14 OFFICER TERA program will consider certain Regular Officers in the grades of
captain, major, and lieutenant colonel, if they have at least 15 (but less than 20) years of Total
Active Federal Military Service (TAFMS) by 31 Jul 14. Eligible officers applying for
retirement under TERA must retire effective 1 Aug 14.
a. Eligible Officers with at least 15 (but less than 19) years of TAFMS, in specific year
groups, must be serving in select Core AFSs by year groups and competitive categories. For
a listing of eligible AFSs by year group, visit the FY14 Force Management page of the
myPers website, https://myPers.af.mil/app/answers/detail/a_id/25484, or input 25484 on the
main page under Search by Keyword and click on search.
b. Other officers with at least 19 (but less than 20) years of TAFMS as of 31 Jul 14, may
apply to retire, regardless of Core AFS, year group, or competitive category.
2. Exclusions: Officers meeting one or more the conditions below are ineligible to apply:
a. Under investigation, under civil charges, pending disciplinary action or pending
involuntary discharge.
b. Under appellate review or in confinement.
c. Pending action under the disability evaluation system under AFI 36-3212, Physical
Evaluation for Retention, Retirement, and Separation. If officers are subsequently returned
to duty, they may apply if otherwise eligible.
d. Notified prior to release of this PSDM of selection for a 365-day Extended Deployment
(ED); or tasked for a 365-day ED, AEF deployment, or TDY for training in preparation for a
365-day ED or AEF deployment. EXCEPTION: Officers may apply if they meet the criteria
as outlined in "Guidelines for Personnel Deployed/Pre-Deployment TDYs from their Home
Station" paragraph below.
e. Under assignment consideration or selected for assignment prior to submission of the
retirement eligibility request.
f. Serving in a Core AFS NOT listed in the TERA matrix. Waivers for AFSs are not
authorized. NOTE: This does not apply to officers with 19 (but less than 20) years of
TAFMS.
g. Officers with an approved Date of Separation (DOS) or pending separation or retirement
application as of release of this PSDM will not be eligible for the TERA program. If the
pending separation or retirement application is disapproved, Airman may become eligible.
h. Any Dental Corps (DC) and Medical Corps (MC) student currently participating in or
selected for a graduate medical education residency and/or medical fellowship program is
ineligible.
i. Any Biomedical Sciences Corps (BSC), Medical Service Corps (MSC), and Nurse
Corps (NC) student currently participating in or selected for a graduate degree-granting
program is ineligible.

^^^^^ It has been updated since then, but I think the big change was to "e" saying that if you got an assignment you would need to ask for a later RNLTD to wait for TERA results.

Fuck me these guys (A1) are idiots.

This is the description, but it does not match the PSDM

- Temporary Early Retirement Authority. TERA authorizes officer and enlisted Airmen, with more than 15, but less than 20 years of total active federal military service to apply for early retirement with a reduced amount of retirement pay. (Voluntary)

Ok, it kind of matches, but is paraphrased a lot!

The big WTF is the involuntary ESERB that can hit guys at 19 years of service. Whatever happened to Sanctuary?

Edited by Butters

I'm hearing some CC's say in there opinion that no one in the flying world will be released. Maybe a few RIFs. The reason being was the 2006 VSP made a huge cut in manning which they still haven't recovered from.

Now they have to directly compete with the airlines for retention and that's a battle they will loose because leadership knows many of us will punch when our commitment is up. That's going to be a manning issue for the AF until at least 2030.

Hearing the same thing as well. It seems that the Air Staff is finally aware of the huge problem they have on their hands. Going to be an interesting few years.

I guess they are waiting for a number breakdown per AFSC instead of the blue/red matrix that has been released.

You mean they are actually going to look at targeted numbers to cut instead of a random "across the board" cuts like last time? Novel idea....why didn't anyone on BODN think of that...

We had 2x "Force Management Townhalls" today at CVS. Didn't go but did email the FSS POC ahead of time to see if it'd even be worth it.

The POC was actually a really helpful Captain and I got good info without sitting through an hour of pain in the base theater. She straight sent me the 13-130 as they have it at the FSS and caveated it by saying that the "no-joke eligibility chart" isn't done yet; i.e. the red/blue one we have out now basically is worthless. Air Staff is taking probably IVO 2 more weeks and will release final eligibility information as well as the actual PSDMs in "late Jan or early Feb."

(I have to add my sexism plug) Was she hot??

Whatever happened to Sanctuary?

I keep trying to tell guys not to believe that anything or anyone in the Air Force is safe or immune from anything. The Air Force can, will and has changed the rules as they go along. Sanctuary today doesn't mean sanctuary tomorrow. Continuation today doesn't mean continuation tomorrow. There are NO guarantees! Those of you who signed the 10 year pilot bonus...there are NO guarantees. The AF will use you until they don't need you anymore and then if they want, they will release you before you make your 10 years. You are not guaranteed 10 years...the Air Force is just guaranteed you can't leave on your own for 10 years.

Pay close attention to these constant "changes" ladies and gentlemen. They are already slowly eating away at our benefits. I'm pretty sure the "retirement pension" (or retainer fee) debate isn't over...and I'm also betting those currently serving will not be grandfathered into anything. Don't think for a second that anything is off the table now or in the future. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but plan accordingly so you are not caught off guard. This is the reality we live in today....perhaps I'm just preparing myself for the worst case.

• Upvote 1

Pay close attention to these constant "changes" ladies and gentlemen. They are already slowly eating away at our benefits. I'm pretty sure the "retirement pension" (or retainer fee) debate isn't over...and I'm also betting those currently serving will not be grandfathered into anything. Don't think for a second that anything is off the table now or in the future. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but plan accordingly so you are not caught off guard. This is the reality we live in today....perhaps I'm just preparing myself for the worst case.

Been saying this for years.

I don't fault anyone who wants to stay and get an AD pension. But I'd hope they realize that it is in no way guaranteed, and to plan accordingly.

This is the description, but it does not match the PSDM

- Temporary Early Retirement Authority. TERA authorizes officer and enlisted Airmen, with more than 15, but less than 20 years of total active federal military service to apply for early retirement with a reduced amount of retirement pay. (Voluntary)

Ok, it kind of matches, but is paraphrased a lot!

The big WTF is the involuntary ESERB that can hit guys at 19 years of service. Whatever happened to Sanctuary?

I'd highly recommend anyone interested/vulnerable to these programs read up on the applicable portions of Title 10 and NDAA 2013/2014. It's starting to seem that the folks planning this over at A1/AFPC haven't.

I'm hearing some CC's say in there opinion that no one in the flying world will be released. Maybe a few RIFs. The reason being was the 2006 VSP made a huge cut in manning which they still haven't recovered from.

Once again, we're so short on people we can't afford to let you go voluntarily, but we're so over on people that we will throw out others in your year group and AFSC that want to stay. Brilliant.

• Upvote 1

I did go to the KCVS briefing by that helpful captain yesterday. Nothing new for the officer side - the entire slide show was a month old and she basically said standby to standby. The red/blue matrix still disagrees with the eligible year groups (Is 2004 eligible for VSP/RIF?) and we can expect emails to follow. Evidently, on the enlisted side, emails have been going out telling folks they'll be force shaped, even if they didn't think they were eligible, and vice versa. Soo, I take that to mean, they have no rhyme or reason to the process still.

So is the RIF, but that doesn't mean you couldn't find a creative way to volunteer yourself as a tribute if you really want out from the horrible choice you are saying that you made. Hell your Commander would probably thank you for it!

Good luck and thanks for your service. I'm sure FEDEX is just itching to hire someone of your esteemed caliber and experience, just remember that like Dirty Harry once said: "A man has got to know his limitations".

Take it easy on the kid… for someone with a total of 16 posts on here you sure talk a lot of smack. I have no idea who he is or what his real experience is, but remember that all of this AAD, SOS, box checking queep now hits you the second you walk in the door before you are even mission ready… not to mention that it doesn't matter if you are young LT with shiny new Wings or a crusty old O-4 crew dawg; if you wanted to be a pilot since you were 5 yrs old and Big Blue makes you feel you need to apologize for actually wanting to do your job then it sucks just the same. Give the kid some slack, will ya!

(I have to add my sexism plug) Was she hot??

I did go to the KCVS briefing by that helpful captain yesterday.

I'll defer to Fozzy here. She was about a 9 in terms of providing useful information via email though, so props on that. Apparent competence at the FSS...pleasant surprise.

Edited by nsplayr

I'll defer to Fozzy here. She was about a 9 in terms of providing useful information via email though, so props on that. Apparent competence at the FSS...pleasant surprise.

Considering we're talking about Clovis, NM, I think the binary scale is in order....a 1 or a 0, and if you have to think about it, she's a 1

• Upvote 2

Anyone think the release is correlated to the new national budget....that way big blue knows what they're working with personnel budget wise?

Probably...

In an era of constrained resources, the NDAA makes controlling costs a top priority. However, the NDAA also guards against achieving false short-term savings at the expense of vital long-term strategic capabilities.

I was really looking forward to my VSP check and the voluntary recall to Active Duty bonus.

Restoring Readiness To Our Armed Forces: In order to face any of the manifold challenges to America’s security, our Armed Forces must first be at an acceptable state of readiness. The size, speed, and mechanism of recent defense cuts along with the systematic underfunding of contingency operations, have forced military readiness to historic lows and is already putting our warfighters at risk. Heeding the repeated warnings of America’s senior commanders, the NDAA restores vital readiness accounts by replacing funds reprogrammed to cover underfunded combat operations and addressing other vital operations and maintenance programs; while remaining consistent with House budget levels. The NDAA meets the President’s Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO) request, replenishing readiness accounts raided in prior years to cover underfunded war costs. This includes restoring Army and Air Force flying hour programs, facilities sustainment, ship depot maintenance for each service, Army OPTEMPO, depot maintenance, Navy critical spares and combat support forces equipment and sustainment, and provides for the stabilization of fuel rates. While these steps will help, only a comprehensive solution to defense resources, strategy, and roles and missions, can fully resolve the issue.

Hopefully, this is true. If we leave Afghanistan and get our flying hours back, it could be a few good years in the Air Force. Not holding my breath, and maybe not willing to be stuck in the one-way employment contract to wait and see.

Props to HU&W for reminding me to turn my brain on and read the NDAA

• Upvote 1

I've been reading the shit A1 is smoking and here's my pair of pennies. I'm seeing the other end of this whip. Sq/CCs have been burdened with trying to tell the peeps WTF the deal is and they can't. Attention is diverted from mission focus, people are emotional, and the AF sends fucksticks to BODN to try to calm the masses. They resort to some town hall meeting where they throw some poor soul in front and they can't answer the questions. Its tough enough working life changing issues of a person or two as CCs do every day, but this shit is fucked up on epic scales. Someone is going to get hurt.

Out