SCOTUS scraps DOMA

pawnman

Why didn't heterosexual marriage open the door for these things? Inter-racial marriage? Why is gay marriage your line in the sand where society will collapse?

Argue with what I actually wrote. Did I say society will collapse? Why don't polygamists and others have the same argument now regarding 'marriage equality' as gays did prior to last week?

Argue with what I actually wrote. Did I say society will collapse? Why don't polygamists and others have the same argument now regarding 'marriage equality' as gays did prior to last week?

Why didn't they when inter-racial marriage was repealed? Perhaps because they are entirely different issues?

Polygamists need to hire a more trendy lobby firm in D.C. It makes no sense to me to keep plural marriage illegal when society at large has decided that marriage between one man and one woman is so 20th century.

They are both abnormal, unnatural sexual behaviors that have the same prevalence in the US population.

Yep, homosexual behavior is so abnormal and unnatural that it's only exhibited by 1500 different species of God's animals. I guess political pressure and gay activism affected those animals as well until it became normalized.

• Upvote 1

In the eyes of the law, consensual homosexuality does not harm anyone, while consensual bigamy and incest do.

Apparently societal acceptance and legality of various expressions of [edit to add: consensual) human sexuality can and do change. The gay marriage lobby simply had the best organized end executed lobby.

Edited by Homestar

Yep, homosexual behavior is so abnormal and unnatural that it's only exhibited by 1500 different species of God's animals.

I hope that you're not using animal behavior as a justification for human behavior.

Or maybe you think human cannibalism and feces eating are normal human behaviors as well.

Hoss, you say "google harmful effects of polygamy." Here's one for you, google "harmful effects of homosexuality." Either is a bad substitute to what has been deemed a societal norm for eons. Now, we have placed an abnormal situation, homosexual marriage, on par with what has been accepted as normal for centuries, heterosexual marriage. I have no idea what the long term effects or unforeseen consequences will be. Only time will tell.

Edited by TreeA10

I hope that you're not using animal behavior as a justification for human behavior.

Or maybe you think human cannibalism and feces eating are normal human behaviors as well.

So is it unnatural or not? If you concede that multiple animal species engage in homosexual behavior, then quit saying it is abnormal and unnatural.

If you've got other arguments, go right ahead. This one is clearly false, and easily proven false.

Hoss, you say "google harmful effects of polygamy." Here's one for you, google "harmful effects of homosexuality." Either is a bad substitute to what has been deemed a societal norm for eons. Now, we have placed an abnormal situation, homosexual marriage, on par with what has been accepted as normal for centuries, heterosexual marriage. I have no idea what the long term effects or unforeseen consequences will be. Only time will tell.

Oh, I know! How about "harmful effects from divorce"? Too many to count, for the families, for the friends, for the kids left behind...we should go back to the Puritan standard of "until death do we part" and outlaw divorce in this country as well. Maybe we can go really old school and start arranging marriages between kids who have never even met, then we can take the pre-marital sex out of society as well.

So is it unnatural or not? If you concede that multiple animal species engage in homosexual behavior, then quit saying it is abnormal and unnatural.

If you've got other arguments, go right ahead. This one is clearly false, and easily proven false.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Dude, he is saying it is abnormal and unnatural for humans. With regard to animals, who gives a ######? They are animals.

Dude, he is saying it is abnormal and unnatural for humans. With regard to animals, who gives a ######? They are animals.

Actually humans are animals. The human's phylum is Chordata (vertebrate). The human's class in mammalia, its order is primate (the same as apes). The Human's sub-family is Homininae. It's tribe is Hominini. It's genus is Homo and it's specie is scientifically named Homo Sapiens.

Incidently, we haven't evolved to the point were it is well understood or accepted by quite a few Homo Sapiens. :bohica: This icon is not specific to any animal but applies to almost all animals regardless of sexual persuasion.

• Upvote 1

The horrible arguments I've seen go around and around against gay marriage pretty much lead me to believe the only reason most of you guys opposite it is because it's gross, your religion says it's wrong, and/or you don't like it. The problem is that if you ever admit this, you can't justify it being codified in law. Therefore, we get these horrible, borderline insane arguments instead.

I think we've come to the part of the thread where the people making insane arguments just stick to their guns until the other side gets tired of arguing against insanity, and gives up.

Actually humans are animals. The human's phylum is Chordata (vertebrate). The human's class in mammalia, its order is primate (the same as apes). The Human's sub-family is Homininae. It's tribe is Hominini. It's genus is Homo and it's specie is scientifically named Homo Sapiens.

Incidently, we haven't evolved to the point were it is well understood or accepted by quite a few Homo Sapiens. :bohica: This icon is not specific to any animal but applies to almost all animals regardless of sexual persuasion.

http://wiki.answers...._humans_animals

Sweet...I can plagiarize too:

Humans are distinguished from other primates by their bipedal locomotion, and especially by their relatively larger brain with its particularly well developed neocortex, prefontal cortex, and temporal lobes, which enable high levels of abstract reasoning, language, problem solving, and culture through social learning

This thread makes my eyes bleed.

Agreed. :beer:

Edited by WAG
  • Upvote 1

I'm done too. I find the other side's arguments just as baffling and irrational as you apparently find mine.

At the end of the day, the gay rights movement just won a big victory. If you support gay marriage, go ahead and celebrate. All of us can agree on one thing - it feels good when your team wins.

Edited by Flaco

This essay by Slate (left leaning pub) predates the recent SCOTUS ruling by a few months:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/04/legalize_polygamy_marriage_equality_for_all.html

Legalized polygamy in the United States is the constitutional, feminist, and sex-positive choice. More importantly, it would actually help protect, empower, and strengthen women, children, and families.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

So are we. Unless you're one of those young earth creationists.

You know what's great about two men boning one another? No one gets pregnant. You know what's great about no one getting pregnant? One less person dependent on our dwindling resources, and another given a chance to be raised by loving parents through adoption. But perhaps this is just a case for adoption. Either way, loving parents willing to raise an unwanted child deserve every federal benefit that any other married parents would receive.

http://en.wikipedia...._overpopulation

Humans are animals -- humans can become extinct, too.

Edited by Milchstrasse
  • Upvote 3

The only downside I really see to having multiple wives is having multiple mothers-in-law. ###### that!

That's why your best bet is to marry twins. Or triplets. :bellydancer: :bellydancer: :bellydancer:

Incidentally, nobody in this thread (that I recall) has brought up the possibility that the only reason Mosaic law banned homosexuality was because it meant fewer babies. When those laws were written, Israel was a young, militant nation that needed tons of new soldiers to help them conquer and hold a relatively large chunk of land. In that context, if you weren't cranking out babies/soldiers, you were practically handing everybody else's hard-fought victories to the enemies. No wonder they made gay sex punishable by death.

Fast forward 4000 years (and 7 billion people), and we have the opposite problem: too many people and too little space to put them. Still, a disturbing number of people hold onto the notion that having a "full quiver" (lots of kids) is one of their greatest religious responsibilities.

Edited by GovernmentMan