Pilot Life and raising a family

ArtofWar

I disagree.

In the martial profession, I prefer an ignorant guy who has balls, to an ignorant guy who has no balls but stays quiet. Why? Because the first guy I may be able to convince of his errors and possibly, even as an older guy, learn something from. Either way, in our profession, timidity should never be rewarded or taught.

ETA: I agree with you that it is key to take your licks and learn from them. But you will never get those licks by taking the opportunity to STFU. You have to enter the fray before you get those bruises that may teach you a lesson.

Otherwise, we are teaching the young guys to never enter the fray, to never risk themselves, to just shut up and do what they're told by those with more experience (and there will always be somebody higher ranking with more experience), and we just create generations of yes men pussies.

Not that we've ever seen that happen in real life. But no reason for us here to reinforce that completely ass-backward lesson.

This isn't a bar room brawl where we're teaching this chick not to be fangs out and stand up for herself. It's the internet, and all she wants to do is talk back and explain herself. This is what whiny SNAPS do.

Your lesson is ass-backwards. Do you really want to hear "but I was thinking" as she defends herself in every debrief?

Cleeding bunt = bleeding cunt.... And on that note fuck you ArtofWar for calling out men (yes men from which you are obviously far from being) that have put their lives on the line, missed birthdays, anniversarys, births, weddings and every other event you can think of to protect your sorry ass.

I've been in the military for a little over 2 years and come from a very large but very close family and I've missed 3 family weddings of which I was the only member not to make it, I have little cousins that I have never met, I will miss my wife's birthday this year cause I'm stuck in asscrackastan. Don't feel sorry for me, it sucks but it's what I signed up, I knew it coming in; you asked the questions and guys have given you the real version of life, no one on here is bullshitting you.

However, you have neither the mindset or the focus and most of all the respect for those dudes that have gone before you to become a pilot in the AF, so please go find another job asshole.

For some reason I found this funny b/c I'm guessing a 1Lt, just a little over 1 year out of UPT. Maybe I am wrong, but still funny to me...

For some reason I found this funny b/c I'm guessing a 1Lt, just a little over 1 year out of UPT. Maybe I am wrong, but still funny to me...

Yep just shy of a year out of UPT, what's funny about it? (Besides the fact that you probably feel old, don't worry though Huggy will always be older)

Edited by Fuzz

Yep just shy of a year out of UPT, what's funny about it? (Besides the fact that you probably feel old, don't worry though Huggy will always be older)

Actually, I am feeling old and funny b/c the only people a 1Lt or 2Lt can shit on are the college students or ROTC/Academy cadets.

Good job though and keep fighting the good fight (no sarcasm).

• Upvote 1

It's funny because you have 2 seconds worth of experience and sacrifice under your belt, yet you try to pile on with the grey beards. Grey beard on an Internet forum does not make you an experience pilot. You're still in the stfu category, but keep on acting like you know it all. I think it's rich.

As for Art, he's an idiot, but he's gotta learn somehow. Most of you are so butt hurt that he dared stand up to you it's laughable. Gimme a break. He's an ignorant kid looking for answers. I'll echo Zach braff's comments. Good advice with some ribbing, is good. Most of you have such hard-ons for your own "awesomeness" you can't actually see that you're being just as SNAPish. You're looking for offense and insults where none was seriously given. If this kid shows up to UPT with this attitude, game on. Tear him up, until then he's just a kid.

But hey, I'm going against the grain, so I must be ridiculed as well. Go ahead, my ego can take it. I enjoy reading some of the idiotic things posted here, and the people that take themselves way too seriously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Upvote 2

It's funny because you have 2 seconds worth of experience and sacrifice under your belt, yet you try to pile on with the grey beards. Grey beard on an Internet forum does not make you an experience pilot. You're still in the stfu category, but keep on acting like you know it all. I think it's rich.

I don't pretend for a second that being a grey beard on here means shit in the real world. I merely was pointing out that even when you are new you'll still be making sacrifices and doesn't fit with his dream life. Please point to me where I act like a know it all, I've been put in my place a time or two on here and it was well deserved.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I am feeling old and funny b/c the only people a 1Lt or 2Lt can shit on are the college students or ROTC/Academy cadets.

Good job though and keep fighting the good fight (no sarcasm).

More importantly who is that chick in your avatar and how can I further investigate dat ass?

• Upvote 2

Art of War - in 24 years I moved my family 10 times (that is more often than 2.69 years.)  Went on numerous deployments, missed several birthdays, holidays, anniversaries and got shot at.  I am also on my second spouse - the first one got tired of all the moves.  Still managed to watch my kids grow up.  Just know that I was not home for dinner every night of the week.  So it, might be a little early to decide that you know what you want in life 10 to 15 years from now but there is not much wrong with thinking about it.  Also I knew 11 guys who died in aircraft accidents - none combat related.  It is a dangerous business and while it has improved over the years, the only way to have zero accidents is to not fly.  You just might have your kid(dies) grow up without you.  Life has a way of throwing you unexpected curves regardless of how you think things are planned.

Should you make it to commissioning, earn your wings and graduate from advanced training you might eventaully learn that your IPs, flight leads, aircraft commanders, squadron and wing leadership don't take kindly to "well I thought this and disagree with you..." Especially in public and when you have no leg to stand upon.  It might not work out so well in the long run. An early lesson you might have learned here is to never miss an opportunity to STFU.  GD SNAP.

• Upvote 1

I thought Fuzz's comments were more in the vein of "I'm a new guy, and even I know this stuff". Some of us take ourselves way too seriously.

It's his last statement about judging what it takes to make it in the Air Force. He k ows what it takes for him, and in a very general sense, but judging whether someone will be able to hack it or not based off a few stupid Internet posts is beyond his depth. He's still a little wet behind the ears for that. Heck, I've BTDT and judging someone's capacity for being a pilot in the AF is beyond me. His other posts on this forum are often posted with an attitude of being beyond reproach. He's a political genius apparently, but there are about 69 other political masterminds on here as well.

I don't blame him, I blame the anonymity that apparently doesn't exist on this board like the rest of the Internet. Contrary to the tough guys that spout out the constant rhetoric of "this is the exact way I would talk to you in person" BS most people would not treat others in real life with the blatant disrespect that is shown on here every 6.9 seconds.

I apologize for engaging in this online schlong measuring contest though. I should have known better. Feel free to flame away, I'll refrain from attempting to inject anymore common sense, and whoever wants can feel like the tough guy that chased me off. Where's the next kid we can belittle to make ourselves bigger?

Contrary to the tough guys that spout out the constant rhetoric of "this is the exact way I would talk to you in person" BS most people would not treat others in real life with the blatant disrespect that is shown on here every 6.9 seconds.

That's because, in real life, "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." ~ Mike Tyson

I'm happy to see more responses and some defending me haha. I think forums mixed with the AF Pilot culture makes problems like this inevitable. I forget who I am dealing with and you all forget who you are dealing with. I'll leave it as short as that so I can continue STFU'ing.

Thanks for all the new responses all, especially Darth. It's good to hear all types of stories and it's interesting that everyone seems happy no matter what happens as long as they are flying. And I will always try to remember that I may not be making little sacrificesin the AF, I might lose my life.

I forgot that I have a slight case of scoliosis (22 degrees at top section, 20 degrees on bottom). Will that be a problem? I hear most people have some condition that should have deemed them unfit for the army but the meds overlook it. But that is just she say, he say. And I imagine if I reach pilot status that they wouldn't do something like that if I have to get reexamined and I wouldn't be accepted to flight school.

Edited by ArtofWar

I'm happy to see more responses and some defending me haha. I think forums mixed with the AF Pilot culture makes problems like this inevitable. I forget who I am dealing with and you all forget who you are dealing with. I'll leave it as short as that so I can continue STFU'ing.

....whole lotta not STFU'ing...

Unteachable

• Upvote 1

And some of you guys might get your wish anyways

No one "wishes" anything of you. Most people here want a bro/broad who can hang out at the bar while being tactically proficient; not that complicated but more rare than you'd think in this day's AF. Incessant quibbling will not help your case.

No one "wishes" anything of you. Most people here want a bro/broad who can hang out at the bar while being tactically proficient; not that complicated but more rare than you'd think in this day's AF. Incessant quibbling will not help your case.

I want to explain myself/explain how it was supposed to be taken. But point taken. I will edit it.

I forgot that I have a slight case of scoliosis (22 degrees at top section, 20 degrees on bottom). Will that be a problem? I hear most people have some condition that should have deemed them unfit for the army but the meds overlook it. But that is just she say, he say. And I imagine if I reach pilot status that they wouldn't do something like that if I have to get reexamined and I wouldn't be accepted to flight school.

Not likely to be accepted into any of the armed services, officer or enlisted, with that level of scoliosis.. IIRC 20 degrees is the limit for lumbar.

Standards for pilots are likely higher, but I am unsure on specifics for scoliosis. Curved spine + ejection seat = no bueno

Work full-time in the Guard, own a business with a few full-time employees, and have been married for 6 years and my third kid is born this summer. And I'm 30. You make it work or you don't. Quit asking stupid questions and go live your life.

Art, you walked into an NFL locker room, asked a question out of ignorance, and started talking smack when they chuckled...if you think that's a recipe for success, you're going to need a lot of remedial training.

People aren't defending you. They're trying to take a couple people to task for being rude to a college student who didn't know any better.

If you want to know something, ask your question, listen to the response, then ask another if you need to. Don't try to "defend" yourself by calling people names.

To answer your original question: that would be tough to do. Some people can make a good family life and thrive on a military schedule. Some can't. It won't be as easy as someone who works banker's hours. That's just the way it is.

Now, if you feel the need to further "defend" yourself, feel free. This thread has provided a few good laughs.

I want to explain myself/explain how it was supposed to be taken. But point taken. I will edit it.

You're making those of us who chimed in regret our decision. Just. Stop. Typing.

Whoever it was that said unteachable might just have been right. This may actually be a troll messing with everyone.

Edited for stupidity

Edited by slackline

I forget who I am dealing with and you all forget who you are dealing with. I'll leave it as short as that so I can continue STFU'ing.

Stop

Right now.

Try listening more than you talk.

I will send you more in a PM, but you just don't get it. Everybody else can keep talking, but you're in time out.