No Flight Suits

Just curious how many ops groups out there have banned flight suit wear except for performing flight related duties? We were told it was due cost cuts but solutions to counter that were not heard. Anyone else not getting to wear flight suits as the UOD?

Rumor is Macdill went to ABU's four days a week, unless you're flying, sim, etc.

Not a rumor, just curious if any others have gone this way. I pulled an article from Cannon, last year I believe, that they had done the same. That was in response to a letter published in AF Times though.

Cost saving? WTF...we don't get new flightsuits anyways, so the AF doesn't lose any money by me wearing flightsuits every day at work. Not to mention the fact most dudes in the squadron are flying/in the sim near every day, or at the minimum could easily be thrown into either with short notice...which actually happens pretty regularly. I hope this absolutely stupid idea does not permeate amongst AF management.

• Upvote 1

Not a rumor, just curious if any others have gone this way. I pulled an article from Cannon, last year I believe, that they had done the same. That was in response to a letter published in AF Times though.

No, the Cannon thing was once a week ABU's for very similar reasons to once a week blues. Nothing more.

What he said. I don't understand how this move would cut costs.

General wear and tear? Wear them less the longer they last and by switching to ABUs which we have to buy it saves money? That's the only thing I could think of that would drive this line of reasoning.

Where does AAFES money go? The cynical part of me thinks this is a ploy to generate more sales at the local BX.

Or just a shoe clerk or E-9 jealous he doesn't get to wear flightsuits so no one can wear flight suits.

• Upvote 2

Or just a shoe clerk or E-9 jealous he doesn't get to wear flightsuits so no one can wear flight suits.

DING! We have a winner! Ever wonder if they give the same grief to the services clowns at the chow hall (yes, I said chow hall; always has been, always will be) who wear the silly Chef outfit? Or the goons at the gym in the polo shirt and docker type pants (do they even still do that?)

• Upvote 1

Here is the article I found from Cannon that I referenced. Sounds like in the article that no flight suits except when performing flight duties. Either way, so far no one else is saying their Base has gone this way.

http://www.airforcet...ight-suit-rules

Oh, you were referencing that. Disregard. If you read the article, it was not for financial reasons.

From the article:

The memo, Elton said, is not intended as retribution for the statements Wilson made in his letter. Nor did Wilson face any disciplinary actions for writing it.

I think he may be about to face the disciplinary action of being completely ostracized by his peers.

Edited by pawnman

Here is the article I found from Cannon that I referenced. Sounds like in the article that no flight suits except when performing flight duties. Either way, so far no one else is saying their Base has gone this way.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20120618/NEWS/206180328/Letter-prompts-base-change-flight-suit-rules

The boss rescinded the ABU policy after a month. Back to normal ops.

according to 11-301, there's a document called Allowance Standard 016 which covers this. My google-foo is not working to find this AS, though links to plenty of other regs which mention it.

edit: AFI 65-601v1 says: "Refer to Allowance Standard (AS) 016 available through the the Air force Equipment Management System (AFEMS)."

edit 2, further reading in 65-601 (note that TA 016 became AS 016, but they missed updating this reference):

"10.55.7. Uniform Clothing Issued as Individual Equipment. Installations will use their organiza- tional O&M-type funds to obtain required special uniforms (e.g., desert BDUs, flight suits, and other TA 016 uniforms which are not included as regularly issued uniforms which are paid by individuals from clothing allowance), as directed by their commanders or other competent authority. These uniforms and the matching stripes and accouterments are “optional items directed wear.” The cost of any associated rank insignia, name tapes, and accouterments, as well as sewing on of these items on these uniforms, as required, may also be provided from organizational O&M-type funds at the discretion of the commander. This is applicable to officers and enlisted."

Edited by stract