Diversity AFI

Patriot359

Was curious what you thought of the new Diversity AFI in the AF?

If there really is one, I couldn't care less.

Being fair to people is how I was raised. I don't need an AFI to teach me to be an adult.

I also grew up with "humor",... something an AFI will never understand.

Edited by Huggyu2

If there really is one, I couldn't care less.

Being fair to people is how I was raised. I don't need an AFI to teach me to be an adult.

I also few up with "humor",... something an AFI will never understand.

Well we have to be "more fair" to certain groups, if not, that would be discrimination... :vomit:

Edited by SocialD

Well we have to be "more fair" to certain groups, if not, that would be discrimination... :vomit:

The AF will have to follow this through to its logical conclusion in all sectors of our communities...Landed gear up? Had a midair collision due to negligence? Q1E's all around, because we can't discriminate against the bad pilots; it's not fair to them per the AFI...NMR for beans, vaccinations, and going over due on your physical by 24 months? No big deal! We can't hold that against you just because you're irresponsible! We would never show any discrimination between our sharp officers and our weak swimmers! While we're at it, we better give the Air Force Cross and the Medal of Honor to everyone too, just so no one gets left out; it's only fair.

Edited by Royal

Yes, it was pretty dry reading, but I did actually read it. The AFI covers the reasoning for Diversity, "Diversity is about strengthening our force and ensuring our longterm viability to support our mission to Fly, Fight, and Win…in Air, Space, and Cyberspace. Diversity is a military necessity" and defines it as, "Air Force diversity includes but is not limited to: personal life experiences, geographic background, socioeconomic background, cultural knowledge, educational background, work background, language abilities, physical abilities, philosophical/spiritual perspectives, age, race, ethnicity, and gender." I pretty much get what the AF is saying and having a diverse crew for example is a good thing. But my defintion of diversity in ops is different then the AFI. For example, when I schdeule a crew for an Op, I do not consider "race, ethnicity or gender", I consider proficiency, time in acft, experienced vs new guy/gal, you get the picture. I have no issue with the race, ethnicity or gender categories, but I never consider them during Ops. I certainly would not consider them a "military necessity" either. I strictly look at who is the best person for that mission/Op. Anyway, I wanted to see what your thoughts were.

Actually, this post is a result of our O-6 getting pretty pissed about it, about a month ago he discussed it with a small group of officers. When an O-6 gets angry about a reg I am going to look into it. His point was this, we (AF) are getting away from what is important to the mission and the leadership is losing focus. When the leadership is focusing on aspects which do not impact the mission, we have issues. When funding for actual flying is being cut, yet we are pushing these efforts, I would say something is wrong. The O-6's point was, why are we focusing on race, ethnicity and gender when neither are skillsets and have nothing to do with the mission? If anything, focusing on these characteristics has the potential to divide AF personnel rather than bring them together as a team. I have to agree with him. It is concerning to me that leadership does not see this. My point in bringing this topic to this forum is this. In our dicsussion with the O-6, some had discussed submitting an 847 to request changing the AFI and wanted to get some opinions of this.

Actually, this post is a result of our O-6 getting pretty pissed about it, about a month ago he discussed it with a small group of officers. When an O-6 gets angry about a reg I am going to look into it. His point was this, we (AF) are getting away from what is important to the mission and the leadership is losing focus. When the leadership is focusing on aspects which do not impact the mission, we have issues. When funding for actual flying is being cut, yet we are pushing these efforts, I would say something is wrong. The O-6's point was, why are we focusing on race, ethnicity and gender when neither are skillsets and have nothing to do with the mission? If anything, focusing on these characteristics has the potential to divide AF personnel rather than bring them together as a team. I have to agree with him. It is concerning to me that leadership does not see this. My point in bringing this topic to this forum is this. In our dicsussion with the O-6, some had discussed submitting an 847 to request changing the AFI and wanted to get some opinions of this.

Don't worry--he'll be put out to pasture soon for thinking logically and not following the herd.

Ironic isn't it, a military service that strips all entrants of their individuality, makes them dress and look the same, enforces uniformity yet celebrates diversity? Does anyone else see a conflict there?!?

• Upvote 3

From the AFI:

2.1. All Airmen are required to undergo Air Force diversity training. This training will include instruction on the link between diversity and mission accomplishment.

In my opinion, any focus we put on unimportant differences that make us diverse like race, religion, etc, artificially creates barriers to mission accomplishment.

• Upvote 1

From the AFI:

In my opinion, any focus we put on unimportant differences that make us diverse like race, religion, etc, artificially creates barriers to mission accomplishment.

Here I was told when I joined years ago that race, religion, gender... that it all didn't matter. And then we were told a couple years that sexual orientation didn't matter. But now we are told that all these things do in fact matter?

This Irish American will love special treatment. We were so oppressed in the beginning of this country. Look it up.

Will never change the fact that gingers don't have souls.

It always amazes me how people are still shocked when they have to deal with HR issues like diversity, sexual harassment, etc in an a large bureaucratic organization of 300k+ people.

My opinion is that your O-6 is an idiot and is making a big deal about an issue nobody seems to care about anyway, if this thread is any indication. And I'm sure he can't appreciate the irony of wasting other people's time on something that he claims will take focus off the mission.

I believe this policy has the potential to undermine mission effectiveness. This was the whole point the O-6 was upset about. If we are so concerned about color, ethnicity and sex in the makeup of our force structure and not focused on hiring/selecting the best, our strength as a militay force will decrease. This may not be on the radar of most troops, but I am telling you, this has the potential to weaken us as a fighting force. This should concern all of us as an Americans and specifically us currently serving.

My daughter, who will graduate as a Bio Major/Chem Minor has to take the newley instuted Diversity course in order to graduate. I told her to re-read Darwin and draw her own conclusions and stick with the mission focus......