F-15C Sniper pods?

di1630

A patch wearer in a previous squadron used to say strafing and droping bombs were like shooting free throws. The target is not moving, it's not all that hard.

Free throw or not I'm fairly certain the basketball goal stays fairly stationary. I've never played anything above intramural though so I could be wrong...

Hm...what's more difficult...

Two-foot wide moving pax from 6000 feet slant range?

or

50-foot wide flying tennis court from 2000 feet slant range?

(Are they not teaching mils anymore at the Eagle weapons school?)

Anywhoo...this is a big step up from the "Eagle-eyes" of the old days (google if you must), and it has taken too long. The Sniper pod has some pretty kickass A/A capes.

different pots of money man. Big blue isn't buying any snipers for AD - yet.

Don't be silly, more pods area better and when pods eventually show up at your Guard unit they will not belong to your unit. If an AD unit needs your pods for something important they will get them. And you will be happy to provide them.

A patch wearer in a previous squadron used to say strafing and droping bombs were like shooting free throws. The target is not moving, it's not all that hard.

I will caveat that with the fact that I've never strafed a target on the ground. Maybe it is cosmic, but somehow I think a jinking / aware bandit would be more difficult. Maybe some multi-role pilot could clarify.

I always laughed when Eagle guys said that.

Sometimes the static and so called "unaware" targets are shooting back. That adds a bit of excitement when the pretty glowing basketballs are streaming past the canopy.

The truth is, both take skill and both are fun.

The best thing for the Hog students was shooting the AGTS at Tyndall. It was super rare if we didn't get direct hits/shoot it off the cable, despite our best efforts to avoid doing that. The tow pilots were always shocked at the scores before the thing finally fell into the water. The students were especially surprised at how much easier it was than they thought it would be.

Most guys are also shocked at how much more difficult it is to hit a tactical target with the gun in combat, especially at night. The targeting pods provided a real eye opener for most guys wrt to where the bullets actually hit and how close you can be and still not get a cigar.

C-models strafed (and successfully blew shit up) in WW-Storm. It was a pick up game but it happened. There are lots of good reasons to get serious about strafing in the Mighty Mighty. But anything to do with slow moving aircraft (did you really say that?) is not even remotely why.

Interesting. That is the first time I have ever heard that light grays strafed in DS. Actually, it is the first time I've heard that they fired the gun period in DS. Source?

Interesting. That is the first time I have ever heard that light grays strafed in DS. Actually, it is the first time I've heard that they fired the gun period in DS. Source?

If you didn't hear about it, it couldn't have happened.

(are you my wife?)

Settle down Sarge.

You're the one that came back with the bullshit "that's what I expected" repsonse when a source was provided. You were demanding a source like you're the fucking baseops.net IG.

The funny thing is you were asking for a source about something that many people already know is true.

A simple source in response to an extremely simple question would have been sufficient. A road too far on an internet forum.

To quote our Danny Noonin: "noted"

So you're asking for a source, from guys who have been there/done that, and who watched it happen? Hell, if there were a source, guys like Rainman and Danny would probably be the dudes the author quoted.

To the rest of you...would we really gain that much in the current fight giving C-models Sniper pods and having them on hand just for strafing runs and shows-of-force?

A simple source in response to an extremely simple question would have been sufficient.

Well Chachi, I did provide my source. I know dudes who did it. That's my source. Given that the whole strafing thing was common knowledge to dudes who have been around the CAF for a while, I didn't really think it was fucking necessary to go on Wikipedia to find a different source just to prove well known facts to you.

To the rest of you...would we really gain that much in the current fight giving C-models Sniper pods and having them on hand just for strafing runs and shows-of-force?

Fuck no. That's not why they need them. They have a legit use for these things. The ball busting about lack of work is standard.

Besides, more is better. The pods belong to a pool, not a tail number.

I would like to see the entire F-15E community baseline pod upgraded from LANTIRN to Sniper first.

Def don't need a pod to do a show of force, but watching the video afterwards can result in good intell or great comedy as the iraq's (looting a HMMWV) run into oncoming traffic...think live action frogger.

Cheers,

Cap-10

• Upvote 1

Fuck no. That's not why they need them. They have a legit use for these things. The ball busting about lack of work is standard.

Besides, more is better. The pods belong to a pool, not a tail number.

Aren't you the one unhappy about tail numbers?