Appealing a promotion board

Spaceballs

...also most SOF people i know dont highly advertise in online forums that they are SOF...

I'm hoping he is referencing getting the "pleasure" of sitting as the Supervisor of Flying (SOF) rather than being a part of Air Force Special Operations Command.

Edited by nsplayr

...also most SOF people i know dont highly advertise in online forums that they are SOF...

I'm pretty sure that "Sweet, I'm SOF" refers to the feeling aviators have when they look at the schedule and see that they are scheduled to sit Supervisor of Flying.

Ok, I think we have a bit of a consensus here.

1. There is no reason that Lts that have not even made it into the "real" Air Force, through no fault of their own, should be passed over for O-3. It is a waste of training/money, and a kick in the nuts to good people that signed up to serve their country.

2. That has got to change.

3. Lts can no longer just be Lts and supervisors at all levels need to be proactive in educating/mentoring them.

4. SOF guy is a douche.

Is that about it?

• Upvote 4

Special ops fighter pilots don't sit SOF because they don't need checklists, they certainly don't need help in an emergency and they don't have OG/CCs who need to be kept in the loop.

They also don't have personnel records and they don't get passed over. For anything.

A-10 WIC IP, retired O-5 within the last couple years. Opening shots of OIF and OEF vet. Extremely well known with lots of cred in the A-10 community before he retired.

He's world renowned in the Hog community, even now after he's gone.

Don't forget he's been featured in prestigious magazines!

• Upvote 1

Don't forget he's been featured in prestigious magazines!

Anybody have a shot of that AF Times cover they can re-post? haha

Guess I should have also added that Rainman owns a lot of leather-bound books and his apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Edited by Hacker
  • Upvote 1

A-10 WIC IP, retired O-5 within the last couple years. Opening shots of OIF and OEF vet. Extremely well known with lots of cred in the A-10 community before he retired.

He's world renowned in the Hog community, even now after he's gone. Not personally met him (I'm a Strike Eagle guy -- we don't run in overlapping circles), but plenty of squadronmates of mine during two different assignments and whose opinions I highly trust, who also flew Hogs with him, have enormous respect for him. I've spoken to him several times when he was still on AD about some common experiences we had during Shock and Awe. He's definitely a real person with real-world combat airpower experience (the kind that involves killing people and getting shot back at), technical and tactical credibility, and leadership experience.

Go ahead with your quals now -- otherwise, can it.

A retired 0-5? This is who you worship? The internet is a wonderful thing. Hacker, you probably shouldn't have posted that. There are several books about shithot retired 0-5s, I had to read some of them. As you can imagine, those folks aren't being worshiped on an internet forum. This cat isn't one of those in the books. Go sample a few of his thousands of posts, where he claims to know everything about everything. Let me reiterate that...thousands of posts. On an internet forum. A retired 0-5. You've been had.

I would not call this one out if he did not chime in with a response to everything I type. I never offered a response to anything he typed unless he directly responded to me, because frankly, he did not type much of anything relevant. If what you typed about him is true - that he is a retired 0-5, he shouldn't be typing very much in a forum frequented by active aircrew.

I guess you'll need to craft a response, as will he, as will his followers. This is entertaining. And revealing. I can understand the sentiments of the posters who call me an idiot. If Rainman is your guy, hell, I'd call me an idiot too, there is no thermometer with enough degrees of separation between that dude and myself. Someone posted on here that commanders converse with retirees for advice. They seek advice from the thousands of retired Lt Cols? Come on guys. Some retired 0-5s say that commanders seek their advice, I've even seen some of them try to aggressively inject themselves into a young commander's unit. And clearly, some of them live on an internet forum, perpetuating their wisdom to the unsuspecting, no matter how dated or irrelevant.

What a shame.

A retired 0-5? This is who you worship? The internet is a wonderful thing. Hacker, you probably shouldn't have posted that. There are several books about shithot retired 0-5s, I had to read some of them. As you can imagine, those folks aren't being worshiped on an internet forum. This cat isn't one of those in the books. Go sample a few of his thousands of posts, where he claims to know everything about everything. Let me reiterate that...thousands of posts. On an internet forum. A retired 0-5. You've been had.

You equate rank with worth, that's always a good hallmark of leadership. It's not necessarily an anonymous forum, but there is a leveling of the playing field (i.e. Lts/Captains can argue with/debate Lt Cols and Full Birds without being out of place) and each person can kinda stand on the merits of what they have to say. That's unfortunate for you considering what you've contributed.

I guess you'll need to craft a response, as will he, as will his followers.

If you browse through some BO.net history, you'll find I'm far from a Rainman apologist but you've proven nothing other than you're a complete douche. Back in the good ole' days we had plus or minus buttons associated with each post, I can only imagine the negatives you would have gotten...

I can honestly say you have provided very little of value on these forums other than a perspective on what inept leadership thinks (assuming you are in a leadership position as you've alluded to).

Good luck to you, troll-strong, and I hope you're happy with your rant because I'm pretty sure your taget individual doesn't give 2 shits about what you think and you certainly haven't ingratiated yourself to the young and impressionable here.

I would not call this one out if he did not chime in with a response to everything I type. I never offered a response to anything he typed unless he directly responded to me, because frankly, he did not type much of anything relevant. If what you typed about him is true - that he is a retired 0-5, he shouldn't be typing very much in a forum frequented by active aircrew.

I guess you'll need to craft a response, as will he, as will his followers. This is entertaining. And revealing. I can understand the sentiments of the posters who call me an idiot. If Rainman is your guy, hell, I'd call me an idiot too, there is no thermometer with enough degrees of separation between that dude and myself. Someone posted on here that commanders converse with retirees for advice. They seek advice from the thousands of retired Lt Cols? Come on guys. Some retired 0-5s say that commanders seek their advice, I've even seen some of them try to aggressively inject themselves into a young commander's unit. And clearly, some of them live on an internet forum, perpetuating their wisdom to the unsuspecting, no matter how dated or irrelevant.

What a shame.

Wow. You clearly are not in the flying world, nor know anything about it. If you want to know anything about ANY weapon system in the Air Force, you go to the squadron and find the crustiest gray beard O-5 in the building. This person will almost always NOT be the SQ/CC or DO. It will be the crusty passed over O-5 who has no prospect of promotion. Usually this person will hold no "real" job in the unit, but will be the person that every CP, AC, and even IPs come to for answers. They have more time in the jet than most guys have on active duty. They have every applicable TO and AFI memorized, not through study but through experience. These are the guys I seek out when I need answers to life's questions. By you disregarding and seeking to discredit one of these individuals it speaks volumes about both your character and your experience.

• Upvote 5

Still waiting for sweet I'm SOF to give any indication whatsoever of community, AFSC, qual, or experience -- something, anything at all, to give any validity whatsoever to his diatribe.

Pretty easy to chuck spears from the shadows when you don't have to own up to any of them.

• Upvote 1

This is who you worship?

Who said anything about 'worship' besides you?

He's someone who has credibility -- that's all. I disagree with some of the shit he says, but there's some of it that I agree with it -- and sometimes strongly agree.

You are trying a little too hard to discredit without offering any reason for an alternative.

• Upvote 1

Still waiting for sweet I'm SOF to give any indication whatsoever of community, AFSC, qual, or experience -- something, anything at all, to give any validity whatsoever to his diatribe.

Pretty easy to chuck spears from the shadows when you don't have to own up to any of them.

Any graduate of Camp Happy-Fun-Times at Fairchild should recognize this tactic and counter appropriately.

Look, there is absolutely no excuse for passing a pilot (or ######ing Nav) over for O-3. It is wasteful as hell.

If this is really happening I would be more than happy to write my senators ('sup Al Franken?!) and congressman.

SOF dude - let's put the pissing contest aside. What's your answer to this? Or do you even have one??

The part about this that kills me is that sweet I'm SOF seems to think it's bad form to ask advice from the old guys. Surely their experience means nothing, and I should only look to the guys that made rank. Fuck the mission, successful promotion is all that matters.

• Upvote 2

A retired 0-5? This is who you worship? The internet is a wonderful thing. Hacker, you probably shouldn't have posted that. There are several books about shithot retired 0-5s, I had to read some of them. As you can imagine, those folks aren't being worshiped on an internet forum. This cat isn't one of those in the books. Go sample a few of his thousands of posts, where he claims to know everything about everything. Let me reiterate that...thousands of posts. On an internet forum. A retired 0-5. You've been had. Blah Blah Blah.

I would not call this one out if he did not chime in with a response to everything I type. I never offered a response to anything he typed unless he directly responded to me, because frankly, he did not type much of anything relevant. If what you typed about him is true - that he is a retired 0-5, he shouldn't be typing very much in a forum frequented by active aircrew. Blah Blah Blah.

What a shame.

Dearest Sir. I thank you for your thoughtful and insightful internet forum posting. After reviewing your sage words, I now see that all other advise I've seen on this message board is wrong and I am incorrect to follow such folly. I hearby pledge to listen to you because your advise and experience are far more superior. If you have the time, I'd am seeking advise on many issues.

For example, for those 1st Lts that were recently passed over, what can they do to fix the travesty?

The election will upon us and I still haven't decided if I should vote as I heard from a liberal once that military people should remain apolitical and thus not participate in selecting their civilian leadership. Should I vote anyway, and if so, who should I vote for?

I thank you for your time, as I'm sure it is quite valuable as a very senior person of vast responsibility. We are truely blessed that you are able to take the time to participate.

Regards,

Mr Golami

• Upvote 3