Korean film R2B drawing "Top Gun" comparisons

VCQ09

I just discovered the trailer for the Korean film R2B (English title "Soar Into the Sun") on the Aviationist. It looks like pure cheese, and it's drawing the inevitable comparisons to Top Gun: http://www.latimes.c...,0,303239.story

And speaking of "Top Gun," has anybody seen the 1990 Japanese Top Gun knockoff "Best Guy?" My JASDF buddies were telling me about it; apparently JASDF F-15s were heavily involved in the filming. It tanked at the Japanese box office.

Edited by VCQ09

Zing....

Hey Toro, reminds me of your thread on the "I thought this was pirate training" UPT patch:

9710ts.JPG

http://www.flyingsqu...-class-patches/

Believe me, I spent many hours trying to get my dozens of JASDF Ego drivers to enunciate their Ls correctly...there were lots of running jokes about pirates.

Believe me, I spent many hours trying to get my dozens of JASDF Ego drivers to enunciate their Ls correctly...there were lots of running jokes about pirates.

That's why introducing yourself to Japanese or Koreans as Larry Riley, callsign Fluffy Squirrel, provides hours of entertainment.

Edited by pbar

And all this time I thought it was "RTB"

Yes, obviously the Koreans have taken a few, uh, artistic liberties here. My other question is...why is the Korean title "Return to Base," but the English version is "Soar Into the Sun?" Does that imply that the majority of Korean civilians already know what rtb means? (Although with Korea's mandatory military service, maybe they already do...)

2012+-+Soar+Into+the+Sun+%28Poster%29.jpg

Edited by VCQ09

Yikes. This looks pretty much totally CGI. Boring!

A better (I'm guessing since I have not seen R2B) Top Gun clone is probably Sky Fighters. I found it on Netflix, and it was actually not too bad. The plot is stupid but it has a lot of pretty cool footage of actual airplanes flying.

Filming

Les Chevaliers du Ciel was filmed in co-operation with the French Air Force. Initially the standard safety rules applied, but eventually the minimum allowed altitude was reduced to 3 m (10 ft) and the minimum distance between aircraft was reduced to 1 m (3 ft).[citation needed] The filming of these flight sequences seen in the film were mainly done from the air, as opposed to Top Gun where most of the filming was done from the ground.[citation needed]

To achieve this, one of the Mirage's external fuel tanks was modified to fit a camera. A HD camera was considered for this purpose, but it did not fit in the fuel pod. Tracking shots were done from a hired Lear Jet.

Additionally, jet aircraft are not allowed to fly over Paris. As a result of this, all the Paris filming had to be done on the actual Bastille Day (14 July) for which the filming crew got special permission.

It's a shame that action movies now are so often just completely CGI. Where is the danger in that?!

• Upvote 1

spaceman: total agree. CGI just kills flying films for me, but it seems like that's all we get these days. I'll have to check out "Sky Fighters"; I actually saw a bargain DVD copy of "Sky Fighters" at an Italian truck stop of all places.

My idea of aerial footage:

(soundtrack = no comment)

VCQ

spaceman: total agree. CGI just kills flying films for me, but it seems like that's all we get these days.

No doubt they can do some really cool stuff with CGI, but IMO they can never really replicate the feel you get knowing that everything you're seeing on the screen is actually real!

Racing movies are also a perfect example of this now that I'm thinking about it. Check out Grand Prix or Le Mans if you haven't seen them; they are both insanely badass. They put cameras on legit race cars and ran them in actual races to get the racing footage! They took the story they wanted to have as the plot and just stuck it into the middle of a real race -- nothing was made on a closed set with special effects (excpet maybe some of the crashes I guess). Also many of the actors did a lot of their own driving (i.e. Steve McQueen in Le Mans and James Garner in Grand Prix), which adds another layer of realness knowing you're not looking at a bunch of stunt doubles during the action scenes.

I don't think they can even make movies like these any more due to safety reasons! Except in the case of documentaries I guess, like Dust to Glory... which is also really cool. I just don't see actors putting themselves in real life-threatening danger for the sake of authenticity anymore. Even martial arts movies have gotten totally fake! Where are the Bruce Lees and Steve McQueens of old I say?!

Okay rant off, back to cheesy flying movies

9c6.gif

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Here's a clip from ベストガイ (Best Guy) - the JASDF flick referred to earlier. Going to have to find the whole movie - it looks wonderfully terrible.

BREAK

What is the reg that states that every video of amazing USAF flying footage is required to be accompanied by sh-tty rock music?

zb

Edited by zach braff