DTS -> Next Generation Travel System - Ideas?

Here's one I just discovered. . .

Why can't we change the itinerary without overwriting the entire per diem expenses tab (i.e. the previously completed, entered, and unchanged portions of the trip)? I'm currently on a multi-destination TDY and have been updating my hotel info as I go along. I figured this would save me time and help out with the end of fiscal year goat-######. Unfortunately, I ended up arriving at my current destination two days late and when I made this minor change all my previous entries were deleted.

Also, why doesn't DTS have a functional and easy to locate feedback tool for suggestions and/or bitching? The one I found after about ten minutes of searching took me to, of course, a dead URL.

I will 2nd and 3rd that issue. This is by far the biggest problem with DTS. I want to say they may be working on something to fix that issue but can't be sure. I can only hope the next-Gen travel system will not have this same flaw. At least I'll do my darnedest to make sure it don't.

This is by far the biggest problem with DTS.

No, the very existence of DTS is the biggest problem.

I can only hope the next-Gen travel system will not have this same flaw will be the old paper system.

FIFY.

At least I'll do my darnedest to make sure it don't.

Thanks! Hope you can make some changes for the better.

"there are documents awaiting your approval" YES!! **CK ME, RIGHT?

Approving is also a pain - every time I approve, I cringe.

As an approver, I can only look at the total dollar amount and a few other details on the overview tab. If I want to get details, it's a serious rabbit hole adventure to check on how the traveler arrived at the dollar amount. An insanely stupid fix? travelers now print out their per diem page (or the approved group template) and fax it in as a supporting document to make the reviewing go faster. No sh*t. Also, as a reviewer, if there are multiple supporting documents, I have to save them to a temp folder and reopen them in adobe - such as when comparing hotel receipts against an itinerary.

More pop-ups!

http://www.defense.g....aspx?id=118025: A pop-up system is also being implemented for the Defense Travel System, she said, advising those intending to make flight arrangements of these new requirements.

speaking of flying, I never use the DTS built-in ticketing. That's right, I charge an extra $20 to the CTO every time because I don't have the expertise in DTS to do it myself. Everyone does this.

Edit: The next e-travel system focuses on booking travel. It needs to be a voucher system. The programmers are putting their eggs in the travel part (for aircrew, useless 95% of the time)

• Book air travel, hotels, cars, trains and taxis.

• View trip itineraries.

• Receive real-time updates on their flight status via text and email.

• Check in at the airport electronically, bypassing long lines, and use an electronic boarding pass.

• Take photos of paper receipts and upload them to the system

TLDR / BL: New system focuses too much on commercial air travel

Edited by addict

speaking of flying, I never use the DTS built-in ticketing. That's right, I charge an extra $20 to the CTO every time because I don't have the expertise in DTS to do it myself. Everyone does this.

Wow, I think booking commercial travel is the easiest part of DTS. Maybe I've been doing this too long.

Wow, I think booking commercial travel is the easiest part of DTS. Maybe I've been doing this too long.

For the most part, I agree. However here's one anomaly that pisses me off: I live outside of Sacramento but my unit is 2 hours away in Reno. When I book airline travel starting at my residence, it forces me to fly out of Reno rather than Sac even though the Reno airport is about an hour and a half further away. The only way to make it work is to trick fuck the system by inserting Sacramento as my first destination and booking airline travel on the subsequent leg. WTF?

For the most part, I agree. However here's one anomaly that pisses me off: I live outside of Sacramento but my unit is 2 hours away in Reno. When I book airline travel starting at my residence, it forces me to fly out of Reno rather than Sac even though the Reno airport is about an hour and a half further away. The only way to make it work is to trick fuck the system by inserting Sacramento as my first destination and booking airline travel on the subsequent leg. WTF?

See, here is a great example where bringing this stuff up allows people like me to un-F the system by showing you the capabilities. You are not forced to stay with the default, you can change it on the fly. See attached. Like I said, it it easy.

Edit, might help if I attached the file

Change_Departure_Airport-in-DTS.pdf

Edited by Finance_Guy

I swear I've tried that before, but I could just be that dumb that I overlooked the easiest solution to my problem. In any case, DTS actually does NOT default to the closest airport to my residence and instead defaults to the one closest to my duty station. That's sort of the source of my consternation since I only fly commercial out of Sac when I'm on orders.

As always, your help around here is much appreciated.

I swear I've tried that before, but I could just be that dumb that I overlooked the easiest solution to my problem. In any case, DTS actually does NOT default to the closest airport to my residence and instead defaults to the one closest to my duty station. That's sort of the source of my consternation since I only fly commercial out of Sac when I'm on orders.

As always, your help around here is much appreciated.

Give it a shot and let us know. I think you are correct that it will default from duty station and not residence--mine are too close to differentiate. But in my screen shots my residence and duty station are many states away from Cali and it let me put in SAC and pulled in the reservation. The CTO may freak out but I don't think they have Vis on your other data.

I'd like to see an iPad/iPhone app that lets me at least upload receipts to a current set of orders. I'm now iPhone scanning my travel docs while on the road rather than waiting until I get home to feed them into the scanner. I think most corporate travel departments even have software that matches a scanned receipt that you've sent in to an expense card item and pays it automatically while you're on the road. Doing it this way causes lower balances on the card, which lowers costs for your company.

I'd like to see an iPad/iPhone app that lets me at least upload receipts to a current set of orders. I'm now iPhone scanning my travel docs while on the road rather than waiting until I get home to feed them into the scanner. I think most corporate travel departments even have software that matches a scanned receipt that you've sent in to an expense card item and pays it automatically while you're on the road. Doing it this way causes lower balances on the card, which lowers costs for your company.

What iphone app do you use to scan the receipts?

I would like to see a system where two SrA and a civilian who only work 730-1630 don't have to approval orders for last minute TDYs. Maybe an alternate route that goes through the flight commander or the first O-5 in the chain to approve so I can actually get orders made during a 3-day weekend.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see a system where two SrA and a civilian who only work 730-1630 don't have to approval orders for last minute TDYs. Maybe an alternate route that goes through the flight commander or the first O-5 in the chain to approve so I can actually get orders made during a 3-day weekend.

You already have it--DTS has this capability. If the traveler knows this scenario will happen often, the CC can appoint people as a "Self-Authorizing Official". The functionality allows the traveler to approve their own authorizations, but no final payment vouchers. This was the replacement of the blanket travel orders. If you don't use this option, there is always the "verbal order" option. And if you have a CAC reader on your home PC, you can do it all from home. Hope this info helps.

RE: http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/09/09_02.pdf, Para 0203.E

Self-Authorizing Official. No blanket authorization/orders shall be issued under the DTS system. Instead, individuals who previously traveled under blanket travel authorization/orders may be designated as self-authorizing officials. These individuals may act as their own AOs authorizing their own itineraries and travel arrangements. They may not, however, certify their own claims for payment. Self-authorizing officials shall be designated in writing and shall acknowledge in writing that they may not certify their own claims for payment.

You already have it--DTS has this capability....

Good to know. I knew about the verbal orders thing, but that is a joke (at least at my base) as CTO requires a written MFR for verbal orders. What part of verbal do they not understand? But the self-approval thing may be an option, I did not know about that. I was thinking more of a normal route that allowed a military only chain of approval during squadron TDYs when everyone in the squadron is there but the civilians are enjoying their weekend.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Not so much a "DTS" issue as much as it is a "this is how off-the-rails our organization has become" issue:

So get this shit -- at my base, when one is going TDY, BEFORE you submit at Authorization in DTS, one must complete a paper-copy "DTS Authorization Form" to be submitted to your DTS person (routed through your chain of command) before they will approve your authorization. WTF!!!! Why would I be bashing my face into a Dell desktop monitor for God knows how long creating an Authorization in DTS if I wasn't authorized (i.e, getting sent on a TDY!!!) to be traveling in the first place?!?

Has this been going on AF-wide while I was OCONUS for the last several years, or are the people who implemented this at my base ruh-tards?

It has been going on at the medical unit at Eielson for at least 6 years.