Anybody fly Super 80's?

DEVIL

Anyone on here fly S80's on the civilian side?

Currently on one, wondering about the TOLD after using >9500 feet of an 11k foot runway on takeoff...

I don't, but guys in my unit do. The MD-80 is a pig...period. It's not fuel efficient, and the climb gradient sucks on it, especially for an airliner.

Anyone on here fly S80's on the civilian side?

Currently on one, wondering about the TOLD after using >9500 feet of an 11k foot runway on takeoff...

Ask the DA Civilian.

Reduced thrust T/O? Did you start at the end of the runway or could it have been an intersection departure?

We started in the displaced threshold (1000') on 22R(8200') at ewr and lifted off in the other displaced threshold (1800').

You got off the runway ok.

TOLD checks.

Totally true, but when you seeing touchdown markers then the EOR line while still in a 3 point attitude, you start thinking.

I'm not saying your TOLD is wrong, but a LOT of data is figured out in dry climates. If it was hot & humid (or raining), the numbers tend to be less accurate.

...then again, double check that flap lever too...

:-)

I'm not saying your TOLD is wrong, but a LOT of data is figured out in dry climates. If it was hot & humid (or raining), the numbers tend to be less accurate.

Always scary when a nav starts talking about TOLD

• Upvote 1

Humidity doesn't really affect available thrust, but the increase of water in the air displaces air molecules decreasing air density which affects dynamic pressure and thus lift.

Increase DA 100 ft for every 10% above 40% relative humidity, or so my -1 tells me.

Copy, but a 100% humidity increase from 40% is still only a 400' increase in density altitude. Of course, that probably affects helicopters more than fixed wing aircraft.

Is that correction specific to thrust?

Always scary when a nav starts talking about TOLD

always scary when he's backed up by the next 3 postings too...

I'm not saying it's very significantly different, only that you have to make applicable corrections to account for it. In the grand scheme of things 400 feet isn't much on a 12,000 foot runway....until you need it.

100% relative humidity increases DA 600 ft, not 400

That correction is for the decrease in lifties that the airfoils get from the ambient air.

400 ft DA is important when you have limited power available and need to pull all of your Ng's to get out of an LZ.

100% relative humidity increases DA 600 ft, not 400

That correction is for the decrease in lifties that the airfoils get from the ambient air.

400 ft DA is important when you have limited power available and need to pull all of your Ng's to get out of an LZ.

I didn't say 100% relative humidity...I said a 100% increase from 40% RH, which equates to 80% RH, thus resulting in a 400' DA correction.

The RH correction makes sense, it's just not something I've seen in the handful of aircraft I've flown to this point.

While I don't fly the MD80, there are some things I know, so here goes a few questions.

Solid EPR check (that is, N2, FF, EGT line up/make sense with take-off EPR)? Did you set the propper EPR, i.e. take-off and not go-around setting. High PA location? Dragging brakes? Take off on a "treadmill runway?" Search the archives, that was an entertaining topic of opinions!

Out

While I don't fly the MD80, there are some things I know, so here goes a few questions.

Solid EPR check (that is, N2, FF, EGT line up/make sense with take-off EPR)? Did you set the propper EPR, i.e. take-off and not go-around setting. High PA location? Dragging brakes? Take off on a "treadmill runway?" Search the archives, that was an entertaining topic of opinions!

Out

In terms of the EPR check it was tough to see from seat 28C and subsequently the bathroom dispensing of the alcohol intake from the night before from the same hole it went in. PA- no factor, brakes refer to earlier... and I'm not even going to touch the "treadmill runway" concept.