Drone Pilots: We Don’t Get No Respect

a publicity whore will do pretty much anything degrading to entice the limelight their way.

Fuck him. I do not see any terrorists going on Al Jizera (don't give a shit if I spelled it wrong) saying that the images of them videotaping the killing of American's with IEDs while chanting "aler ackbar" are haunting them. Some guys are just pussies.

• Upvote 4

1626 EKIA? I'm calling shenanigans.

Standard air force OPR/EPR tactic. Support an op and claim results as your own....and it doesn't matter where you were in that kill-chain...a shoe or a trigger squeezer.

From the article: "It showed that he had participated in missions that contributed to the deaths of 1,626 people."

"Contributed" is a key word IMO. I "contributed" to ending the Cold War, and the effort in OIE/OEF (and from the looks of it about to re-contribute again)...doesn't mean I put a spot down on somebody/something and drove-in a kinetic action or won the war single handed. Go forward and witness shit that happens to our folks and bystanders, opens your eyes to reality a lot more than an EO/IR picture. Welcome to the Fog of War shipmate, nobody likes it and it comes back to visit us in our dreams and life...but we don't talk to the press about it for publicity.

Edited by ATIS

From the article: "It showed that he had participated in missions that contributed to the deaths of 1,626 people."

"Contributed" is a key word IMO. I "contributed" to ending the Cold War, and the effort in OIE/OEF (and from the looks of it about to re-contribute again)...doesn't mean I put a spot down on somebody/something and drove-in a kinetic action or won the war single handed.

All number fucking aside, I call shenanigins on him even being on-sta for that number of EKIA. Maybe that was the entirety of all ops the SQ supported the entire time he was assinged there? Who would even track that number? Claiming kills not your own is shameful; but then, so is talking to the media.

“Like, this isn’t a videogame,” he said. “This isn’t some sort of fantasy. This is war. People die.”

Uhh...what?

I guess the recruiter forgot to mention that militaries go to war, and in those wars people tend to die every now and again.

What did he think was going to happen? we were going to politely ask the terrorists pretty-please, if its not too much trouble, could you stop bombing us?

• 3 weeks later...

That last one looks like something Jennifer Connely had a close encounter with in Requiem for a Dream.

In related news, Jughead has a new title at the top of his "must-see" movie list...!!

In related news, Jughead has a new title at the top of his "must-see" movie list...!!

Full disclosure: if you try to fap to it, you'll likely be scarred for life.

However, this movie should be at the top of everyone's list of flicks to show their kids why drugs are bad, m'kay?

Honorable mentions to "Trainspotting" and "Blow"

• 1 month later...

"Contributed" is a key word IMO. I "contributed" to ending the Cold War, and the effort in OIE/OEF (and from the looks of it about to re-contribute again)...doesn't mean I put a spot down on somebody/something and drove-in a kinetic action or won the war single handed. Go forward and witness shit that happens to our folks and bystanders, opens your eyes to reality a lot more than an EO/IR picture. Welcome to the Fog of War shipmate, nobody likes it and it comes back to visit us in our dreams and life...but we don't talk to the press about it for publicity.

Kind of like when the Finance or MPF troops would call the MPC and ask how many lines/hours/bombs/EKIA we had in a given period "for their awards".

I usually just hung up on them.

Someone explain why we have officers doing this at all? Sure, there's the weapons engagement aspect... but I don't see why an officer shift-supervisor can't roll-in when it's time to go kinetic. If the CAOC is watching and has approved anyway, what's the point of someone on the O payscale pressing the button?

Someone explain why we have officers doing this at all? Sure, there's the weapons engagement aspect... but I don't see why an officer shift-supervisor can't roll-in when it's time to go kinetic. If the CAOC is watching and has approved anyway, what's the point of someone on the O payscale pressing the button?

Just to add fuel to the fire...We probably can draw parallels with an Army artillery platoon: one OIC to over see the platoon, with the "trigger-pullers" being enlisted artillerymen. The OIC doesn't aim each gun and pull the trigger, but directs an effect executed by his platoon.

Why are the bases in shitholes like Cannon? Why aren't they based at Homestead, Patrick, MacDill, Hanscom, Los Angeles, and Hickam... where people might actually want to live?

• Upvote 4

You'd have grievous morale issues because the O would be "stealing their shot". Also, I call the CAOC frequently, and I've yet to be impressed.

You'd have grievous morale issues because the O would be "stealing their shot". Also, I call the CAOC frequently, and I've yet to be impressed.

As opposed to the greivous morale issues of being stationed at Creech or Cannon?

I personally think the whole thing can be done by enlisted folks, but the Air Force has this paradigm of "Officers do the killing because airpower is strategic and overarching." For RPAs, I think a paradigm shift is in order.

I personally think the whole thing can be done by enlisted folks, but the Air Force has this paradigm of "Officers do the killing because airpower is strategic and overarching." For RPAs, I think a paradigm shift is in order.

Any other service sends their Enlisted dudes in to the war first. In the Air Force, we send our Officers in while the enlisted dudes sit at home in the air conditioning.

(Broad, generalized statement with exceptions, I know, but overall true)