Marine Discharged for Facebook Comments

Gas Man

Brave new world territory...

My understanding is the Marine had it on his private Facebook (I don't do such so I don't the correct terms/settings) and was "outed" by one of his "friends."

Is it then free speech since he wasn't in uniform and didn't intend to say it publicly?

Obviously, the USMC saw it differently.

Where is the line between public disclosure and privacy? Not just for this jarhead, but for a lot of other things in our world?

Lots of changes and new thinking to be done. Not a cosmic observation, but scary nonetheless.

But, as a practical matter, don't post such sh1t on-line. Or take pictures and post them.

Brave new world territory...

My understanding is the Marine had it on his private Facebook (I don't do such so I don't the correct terms/settings) and was "outed" by one of his "friends."

False, it was a public Facebook group where he was spouting his message to the world.

Adios, idiot.

Another document brought forward in an earlier proceeding revealed that Stein posted on a Marine meteorology and oceanographic Facebook page March 23, "As an active Marine I say, 'Screw Obama' and I will not follow orders from him."

Yea...probably not a good idea to post that Chief...

I am not defending him. If, as noted above, he did it on a "public" website representing himself as a Marine, then he accepts the consequences. Or gets out of the Corps, whatever was his goal.

I am commenting on the blurring (well, duh Cap'n Obvious!) between what is private and what is public.

I am not defending him. If, as noted above, he did it on a "public" website representing himself as a Marine, then he accepts the consequences. Or gets out of the Corps, whatever was his goal.

I am commenting on the blurring (well, duh Cap'n Obvious!) between what is private and what is public.

What really set it off was he started his comment with the phrase "As an active duty Marine..."

Had he left off the portion identifying himself as an active duty Marine (thus implying endorsement by the Marines) he would have been OK.

"Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said."

I know several people who would be more than happy to walk away from their ADSC with nothing. Also, run the BIT on your sarcasm detector.

He argued that he was exercising his constitutional rights to free speech.

He's been in the Corps for nine years and he's just now hearing about the UCMJ?

"Screw Obama and I will not follow all orders from him."

Really? He doesn't realize the impact of such a comment?!?

Stein persisted even after being warned

What a dumbass, he deserves to go...

"As an active Marine I say, 'Screw Obama' and I will not follow orders from him."

Even back in my time in, this was one of those "third rail" issues - really tough to "untouch" it once it's done. We had a guy on base that said much the same thing about Reagan in uniform to the media as his second term was coming to an end. Can remember sitting there in the dorm watching it live on the news - was like watching a car crash. "Dude, dude, stop... don't go there... Owwwww, that's gonna hurt."

Even back in my time in, this was one of those "third rail" issues - really tough to "untouch" it once it's done. We had a guy on base that said much the same thing about Reagan in uniform to the media as his second term was coming to an end. Can remember sitting there in the dorm watching it live on the news - was like watching a car crash. "Dude, dude, stop... don't go there... Owwwww, that's gonna hurt."

You have to wonder if there is some partisan type in the background egging these guys on to ###### up like this. It seems like this is one of those things that requires multiple personnel to achieve the intended level of stupidity. I'll close with some wisdom my first mentor in the military gave me: Never ###### up during an election year.

FIFY

Following this one simple rule would have prevented that whole Abu Ghraib business along with the Peeing Marines controversy.

And this simple rule should also be applied to TDYs...yet, some people still don't get it. Even in this day and age of facebook, email, digital cameras with wifi, etc. some dudes still don't get the concept of don't take pictures of shit you wouldn't want everyone on the internet to see. Some people were just born stupid.

And this simple rule should also be applied to TDYs...yet, some people still don't get it. Even in this day and age of facebook, email, digital cameras with wifi, etc. some dudes still don't get the concept of don't take pictures of shit you wouldn't want everyone on the internet to see. Some people were just born stupid.

That should be a squadron standard fine = 1 keg