The Mother of all CGOCs

ThreeHoler

About 3-4 years ago at Beale, one of our pilots didn't get as high a strat from the Wing as this person should have. When given feedback, said pilot was told "For example, you're not the president of the CGOC".

So... said pilot decided to fix that shit.

Somehow, the U-2 CGO's learned the bylaws, called for an election, ensured all the U-2 pilot CGO's got the word... and said pilot was elected to be the president of the CGOC via a hostile takeover. The non-Ops Group CGO's were NOT happy about this.

Classic pilot solution: "I saw a problem, now I've fixed it. Next?"

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 2

2 years ago our squadron pulled a coup and elected one of our own to be CGOC President without his knowing about it. We had almost every CGO in the squadron vote and it was enough to get him the prestigious position. The guy's callsign was "Teabag" so you know he was the perfect fit. Needless to say he wasn't thrilled but thought it was funny and the VP did all the "work" that year...

Same thing attempted at Minot, but the Ops Gp commander got an earful from the Wing Vice...who decided to invalidate the election. Three cheers for Putinism!

All I have seen out of the CGOC on my base is a string of emails about "senior" leaders giving talks about how to get promoted.

I get 6-9 emails a week from the 56 Club here that are basically the same thing, sprinkled with various "mentoring opportunity!" and "X volunteers needed!" emails. I tried to block the person who sends the majority of them, but Outlook wouldn't let me...

Heard a rumor that a few years back, a bunch of KC-135 pilots took over the CGOC at Al Udeid (the crown jewel of CGOCs in the AOR) and their 1st order of business was to disband the CGOC. It took the clerks six months to reorganize. Like I said, a rumor, anyone else heard the same story?

I heard that happened at Thumrait during early-OEF when it was mostly Bone guys and AWACS dudes.

I heard that happened at Thumrait during early-OEF when it was mostly Bone guys and AWACS dudes.

I was there at the time, never heard of it. Then again never paid much mind to CGOC, 16-19 hr missions had a way of prioritizing what I paid attention to.

Edited by Shortbus

One of the absolute best side-effects of pinning on O-4 is putting their pain-in-the-ass shoeified emails behind you.

When I was an idiot 2nd Lt on causal I decided to check out the CGOC (which I distinctly remember was at 1500 on a Friday afternoon and guys weren't going back to work when it ended). I walked in and when I told people I was with the fighter squadron I kept getting eye-rolls or some other feedback. When pushed they told me that "pilots get all the attention and accolades already. This group is for non-rated people who need to get Wing level visiblity and strats." I didn't really understand what that ment at the time, but it sounded stupid.

When I mentioned it to the bros on Monday I got some of the best mentoring of my career.

I'd be interested in hearing some historical perspectives.

The CGOC (formerly known as the "junior officer council") used to sponsor "JOC Night" at the Mather Club in the early 80s (and probably well before that) - I think anyone there at the time would have been beholden to the "JOC" (probably our UNT instructors) for the hang-overs and social diseases, but all-in-all a pretty good time for the lieutenants.

But, by the time I got to the my 1st B52 assignment the JOC was pretty much a no-air-crew organization unless they needed help with an event - in which case they would just route their requirements through command.

I wonder if the JOC/CGOC was ever worth a bucket of spit in the past. Was Mather the last dying gasps of something better?

Edited by B52Herc

This was sent out base-wide earlier this week...JUST in case you were planning to attend....

----------------

CGOCs,

In this austere fiscal environment, we are all being asked to do our part

and try to reduce travel costs whenever possible. While the Air Force CGOC

believes that no matter the fiscal environment, we need not forget the

professional development needs of our junior force, we also must face the

reality that the attendance minimums needed to meet our financial

obligations for an annual conference are just not likely to be met this

year.

In that light, we have cancelled the 2012 Air Force CGO Professional

Development Conference, originally scheduled to be held this May in Seattle,

WA. We have been trying to find a way to make it work, but feel it is best

to look for alternative means to provide Air Force-wide, CGO-focused,

professional development opportunities for this year.

The Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) team did a fantastic job of pulling

together resources and creating a quality program, and we want to publically

thank them for all their efforts. Luckily, they are able to transform many

of their events into opportunities for local personnel, so if you are near

JBLM this May, you may want to consider looking into what they have to

offer.

The Air Force CGOC will be looking for ways to continue to provide the

excellent professional development and networking opportunities that we have

become known for. If you have any ideas, we would love to hear from you!

Please remember, an investment in a junior officer's professional growth IS

an investment in their local mission, as well as the Air Force mission.

Networking internal and external to their immediate career field, a better

understanding of strategic initiatives, leadership lessons and exposures to

new missions and ways of doing business are invaluable tools in making our

Air Force mission succeed. The Air Force CGOC will work hard to ensure we

continue to provide these opportunities to you in the future.

Please contact us with any ideas or questions.

Chairman, AFCGOC

• Upvote 1

This was sent out base-wide earlier this week...JUST in case you were planning to attend....

----------------

CGOCs,

In this austere fiscal environment, we are all being asked to do our part

and try to reduce travel costs whenever possible. While the Air Force CGOC

believes that no matter the fiscal environment, we need not forget the

professional development needs of our junior force, we also must face the

reality that the attendance minimums needed to meet our financial

obligations for an annual conference are just not likely to be met this

year.

In that light, we have cancelled the 2012 Air Force CGO Professional

Development Conference, originally scheduled to be held this May in Seattle,

WA. We have been trying to find a way to make it work, but feel it is best

to look for alternative means to provide Air Force-wide, CGO-focused,

professional development opportunities for this year.

The Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) team did a fantastic job of pulling

together resources and creating a quality program, and we want to publically

thank them for all their efforts. Luckily, they are able to transform many

of their events into opportunities for local personnel, so if you are near

JBLM this May, you may want to consider looking into what they have to

offer.

The Air Force CGOC will be looking for ways to continue to provide the

excellent professional development and networking opportunities that we have

become known for. If you have any ideas, we would love to hear from you!

Please remember, an investment in a junior officer's professional growth IS

an investment in their local mission, as well as the Air Force mission.

Networking internal and external to their immediate career field, a better

understanding of strategic initiatives, leadership lessons and exposures to

new missions and ways of doing business are invaluable tools in making our

Air Force mission succeed. The Air Force CGOC will work hard to ensure we

continue to provide these opportunities to you in the future.

Please contact us with any ideas or questions.

Chairman, AFCGOC

Meh, a CBT should just about cover it..

• Upvote 1

They must be cool. They play crud.

Fuck me sideways....they wrote a 22 (that's right, 22) page CONOP (yes, they actualy put CONOP on the cover page) on playing CRUD!!

For their punishement, I am going to throat punch the first shoe I can find on Monday!

Cheers,

Cap-10

• Upvote 3

Fuck me sideways....they wrote a 22 (that's right, 22) page CONOP (yes, they actualy put CONOP on the cover page) on playing CRUD!!

For their punishement, I am going to throat punch the first shoe I can find on Monday!

Cheers,

Cap-10

Was this thing written as a joke? Never been to an A/T A event, but I thought they were supposed to be pretty legit?

I get 6-9 emails a week from the 56 Club here that are basically the same thing, sprinkled with various "mentoring opportunity!" and "X volunteers needed!" emails. I tried to block the person who sends the majority of them, but Outlook wouldn't let me...

Best way to fix this problem is to use the "create rule" function. It will allow those who fill your inbox with mindless banter to have their emails automatically go into either the junk folder, or the trash. You'll see the end result when you get that puzzled look the first few times you have unread emails in your trash bin.

I had a friend who refused to do this at my previous base, and he emailed the base CGOC president himself asking to be removed front the email list. He was sent an email approximately 10 minutes later from the CGOC advisor who was a Lt Col asking why he did not want to be a part of the CGOC and the buffoonery continued. My friend had a target on his back for a while because our leadership at the time was very big on this organization.

Best way to fix this problem is to use the "create rule" function. It will allow those who fill your inbox with mindless banter to have their emails automatically go into either the junk folder, or the trash. You'll see the end result when you get that puzzled look the first few times you have unread emails in your trash bin.

I had a friend who refused to do this at my previous base, and he emailed the base CGOC president himself asking to be removed front the email list. He was sent an email approximately 10 minutes later from the CGOC advisor who was a Lt Col asking why he did not want to be a part of the CGOC and the buffoonery continued. My friend had a target on his back for a while because our leadership at the time was very big on this organization.

There was a guy a few years back at a certain 3-hole tanker "forward" location (and I use that term with all the sarcasm I can muster) who did something similar. The whole lot of CGOs received an email requesting that people take the time to help the CGOC deliver Christmas packages to every door in the trailers. This fine upstanding young aviator was angered by the email and wrote back "I do not have time for your emails or your projects, please remove me from your mailing list."

As you can imagine, the Lt president of the CGOC who sent out the email was quite butt-hurt and cried to the Wg/CC. Within a few hours, this aviator found himself yanked out of crew rest to stand before the Wg/CC and explain why he thought the CGOC was a waste of time.

It is always good to see when we have our REMF priorities straight...

Too passive. I suggest one of two different responses.

1 - Slightly less passive. Create an Outlook rule that auto-forwards any message with CGOC in the title to the CGOC distro list. Get a buddy to do the same. First time you get an email it will ping-pong back and forth between the two of you with the entire CGOC as innocent bystanders.

2 - Much less passive: Respond. A dude I know took the same route of "Please take me off your emails" and got the same response of "You're a CGO and you need to receive these bla bla bla." So when the email came out letting all the CGOs know that the CGOC was going to be meeting at 3:30 for some cookies and punch in the club, he hit reply all and said, "Hey guys, this sounds awesome, I'll be there!

Then he waited 6-9 minutes and hit reply all again with, "Oh darnit, I just got scheduled to fly, won't be able to make it."

Then he waited another 6-9 minutes and replied all, "Hey, turns out the line got cancelled, I'll be there!

"Gosh - I got put into a sim!"

"Somebody else is going to take my sim!"

"Crud, I have to close the vault."

"Hey, we just closed the vault, are you guys still meeting?"

He was removed the next day.

• Upvote 1