Home of The Fighter Pilot

Guest Hueypilot812

Ironic that Little Rock is still "Home of Combat Airlift", yet Nellis loses the "Home of the Fighter Pilot" status. I guess it's just a matter of time for us as well...I can see it already..."Little Rock- Home of Combat Mission Support".

On a side note, as an herbivore, I'm with everyone else...Nellis = fighters, and fighters = fighter pilots. I actually made the comment over dinner the other day that I'm damn near willing to go back to the Army Guard. At least they know what tradition is, even if Army aviation is ed up.

• Upvote 1

Overall several good points but everyone needs to remember that the best way to win is to fight smart and lose the hyperbole.

Can you imagine someone today looking for a LEADER to execute that Doolittle Raid and suggesting that it be given to a dare-devil boozer - his only attributes: he had the respect of his men, an awesome ability to fly, and the organizational skills to put it all together? If someone told me there was a chance in hell of selecting that man today, I would tell them they were either a liar or dumber than shit.

I disagree. There are places to go to find people who could organize and lead something like this that has never been done before. It still happens but there is far less publicity. The Doolittle raid, while unbelievably daring and cool, was primarily a publicity and psyops mission.

FWIW, to say Doolittle should be defined simply as a daredevil boozer is a foul. The reason he was chosen to lead that raid was because of his hands, his cranium and his balls and I believe the same would be true today.

I find it ironic that the Air Force put BG Robin Olds on the cover of the company rag last month. While it made me extremely proud to see his face, he wouldn't make it across any base in America (or overseas) without ten enlisted folks telling him to zip up his flight suit and shave his mustache off.

I have a feeling that his response would be predictable and for that crime he would probably get a trip home and an Article 15.

The important thing to remember here is that Robin Olds was smart enough to know that his best course of action would be to ignore anyone who would give him shit about his mustache or flight suit and it would be a non-issue. He was the fucking king when it came to ignoring people he thought were dumbasses. He put up with plenty of bullshit during his career and was smart enough to know that you don't disregard the threats, you just regard them properly...and defeat them...but you have to be in to win.

Just sayin'...

The important thing to remember here is that Robin Olds was smart enough to know that his best course of action would be to ignore anyone who would give him shit about his mustache or flight suit and it would be a non-issue. He was the fucking king when it came to ignoring people he thought were dumbasses. He put up with plenty of bullshit during his career and was smart enough to know that you don't disregard the threats, you just regard them properly...and defeat them...but you have to be in to win.

Just sayin'...

Word.

As long as his leadership backed him up and didn't believe E-6>O-3 when said individual was ignored and ran to their boss.

Overall several good points but everyone needs to remember that the best way to win is to fight smart and lose the hyperbole.

I disagree. There are places to go to find people who could organize and lead something like this that has never been done before. It still happens but there is far less publicity. The Doolittle raid, while unbelievably daring and cool, was primarily a publicity and psyops mission.

FWIW, to say Doolittle should be defined simply as a daredevil boozer is a foul. The reason he was chosen to lead that raid was because of his hands, his cranium and his balls and I believe the same would be true today.

Yes he was chosen for those good qualities, but in his records before the ball measuring section would be two article 15's, ADAPT counseling, and a host of other issues marking him as a bad candidate for 'leadership'.

Yes he was chosen for those good qualities

Period.

but in his records before the ball measuring section would be two article 15's, ADAPT counseling, and a host of other issues marking him as a bad candidate for 'leadership'.

Today or in 1942?

He also had a couple advanced degrees as a counterweight to the article 15s...among other things.

Ironic that Little Rock is still "Home of Combat Airlift", yet Nellis loses the "Home of the Fighter Pilot" status. I guess it's just a matter of time for us as well...I can see it already..."Little Rock- Home of Combat Mission Support".

On a side note, as an herbivore, I'm with everyone else...Nellis = fighters, and fighters = fighter pilots. I actually made the comment over dinner the other day that I'm damn near willing to go back to the Army Guard. At least they know what tradition is, even if Army aviation is ######ed up.

Since when did it change from Home of the Herk???

• 1 month later...

Home of the Fighter Pilot = the bottom of a bottle of 18 year.

Just got told today no more Friday shirts/patches.

Starting a new bottle tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

On a side note, as an herbivore, I'm with everyone else...Nellis = fighters, and fighters = fighter pilots. I actually made the comment over dinner the other day that I'm damn near willing to go back to the Army Guard. At least they know what tradition is, even if Army aviation is fucked up.

What's wrong with Army Aviation? Not being a smart ass, actually curious.

• 3 weeks later...