FAA OKs iPad for Pilots’ Charts

ClearedHot

I was part of the initial testing @ Travis & can definitely say everything was looked @ and evaluated. I hear Gen Johns loves Apple, however upper management had no interest in exactly what the platform was, only what the capabilities were.

The other issue they have is that the iShit every tablet on the market is all flash (memory) based and currently no flash memory connected to computers on the network, so their going to need a hella lot of "airgap" stations or get some rules changed. Wireless is a hard road to get down with USAF regs as well.

We have successfully conquered both these requirements and it wasn't even hard.

Really don't understand why they don't go with an Android/Linux based solution that they could pay some small business dev company to rework the android framework to do specific functions (like checklists, approach plates, enroute charts, etc) and sync to a single off-net server. Wouldn't be that hard and it could run on much more cost effective (and maintainable) hardware.

Because there's no need to "pay some small business dev company" to totally rework Android if you just use iOS off the shelf and apps that are already available in the Apple app store. We do every function you could want in an EFB with apps that already exist and they work pretty well; as the market increases for military-specific iOS apps then even better choices will be created.

I heard one of the higher ups at Scott pushing this program was an Apple lover and that's why we've not really looked in to anything but the iMaxi

Well our unit has no relation to Scott or AMC and I can tell you that the iPad was the best performing option that was tested.

Edited by nsplayr

Really don't understand why they don't go with an Android/Linux based solution that they could pay some small business dev company to rework the android framework to do specific functions (like checklists, approach plates, enroute charts, etc) and sync to a single off-net server.

It is nice to help out the little companies right up to when they go under and with them so does the source code. Next thing you know, there are a bunch of EFBs turned into paperweights and no paper FLIP to replace them.

Ought to be able to make a filter out of Glendale Green film.

I goofed around with a sheet of photography film (used to change the color of flash light) and the black/white swap function o my iPad, and it was tolerable but wasn't nearly as good as a true NVIS compliant filter. The ghetto system would work fine for instrument approaches because who cares if the colors are off, but if you needed true color representation the NVIS filter won't alter the colors, so red will still be red, etc. The NVIS filter will also make it so you can stare at the filtered screen and not bloom your goggles. All that said, it isn't all that hard to just manage where you shine that screen and put the stupid thing away when it will be a distraction.

Ought to be able to make a filter out of Glendale Green film.

I said this before and it sailed through the conversation like a sabot round through a Bedouin tent. I don't think people know what Glendale Green is anymore, which is probably good. Not many people still around who can recall the days of electrical tape, chemlights and Glendale Green film. That means you are old...I mean old school.

I said this before and it sailed through the conversation like a sabot round through a Bedouin tent. I don't think people know what Glendale Green is anymore, which is probably good. Not many people still around who can recall the days of electrical tape, chemlights and Glendale Green film. That means you are old...I mean old school.

Very common in the Herk world. Our H2's were not compliant w/o 100 mph tape, chemlights, and Glendale green until right before they took them from us. Almost all of my NVG hrs were done this way. Didn't realize I was old school.

Edited by herkbum

They were still using all that stuff in slick C-130s, including Glendale Green, as recently as 2005. I don't feel THAT old.

Ok...so why would someone pay $542 for a filter you could make yourself at the ops desk during the step brief?

Before there was high tech, there had to be low tech. Stepping 15 early to prep the cockpit was always a joy. I failed with my Goggle-fu to locate a supplier of Glendale so I don't know if they still make it. I think anything in the 540-550nm filter band would work better than nothing.

There is no "lockdown." There is just the "if you change anything, and an evaluator looks at your iPad, you will get a pubs Q3."

The reliable rumor is from an OG StanEvil-type here.

Of course, that could just be a scare tactic for the children...

The reliable rumor is from an OG StanEvil-type here.

Of course, that could just be a scare tactic for the children...

U - Unaware of established procedures and/or could not locate them in the appropriate

publication in a timely manner. Publications were not current.

Don't really know how they could give you a U/Q-3 for pubs if you have current pubs on your iPad and you changed something. Unless a local policy comes out.

Don't really know how they could give you a U/Q-3 for pubs if you have current pubs on your iPad and you changed something. Unless a local policy comes out.

I'm talking about an OGV that Q3'd a boom operator for not knowing what airspeed/configuration the outboard ailerons are unlocked. Anything is possible...