I Hate Reflective Belts

Toro

Anybody else notice those sweet lightsuits the dancers had on in yesterdays Super Bowl halftime show? I bet those are a required deployment item within 5 years.

LMFAO!

Anybody else notice those sweet lightsuits the dancers had on in yesterdays Super Bowl halftime show? I bet those are a required deployment item within 5 years.

Take the initiative and run with it. Sounds like an 8-BPZ to Brig Gen opportunity.

Edited by HerkDerka

My son told me he was issued his reflective belt last night. All cadets must wear them sunset to sunrise while in uniform.

I never thought the reflective belt would come to "reflect" The Circle of Life.

real-life-lion-king-mufasa-simba-pumba-tiger-lion-warthog.jpg

• 1 month later...

At least they're all standardized. That's important too right?

No... They Arent.

I got stopped in the middle of a 6 mile road march the other day during PT by some bored staff guy in his car on the same road because my PT belt while yellow wasnt "Griffen Standard."

Thats right... there is a Brigade standard PT belt, its the hard crispy plastic one that glows in the dark and cuts at your neck when worn. And you cant buy it at Clothing and Sales so thats obviously the one they should go with right....

Edited by Lawman

Dammit, "Squarr!"

I damned-near spat out my mouthful of margarita while watchin' that!

Purple Nurples! Y'all 'member them!? Hell yeah...

Killin' me, Smalls.

:beer:

Linda

So there I was...

I attended Supervisors Safety Training today, put on by an SNCO from base Safety (at my stateside base). We were talking about PPE, to include reflective belts, so I raise my hand and ask:

Me: "Do you know why we need to wear reflective belts in a non-pedestrian area at the Deid? Like around the Bra and transient lodging."

Safety SNCO: [deer in headlights look] "Wait.. wha... where?"

Me: "The Deid... the U.S. air base in Qatar."

Safety SNCO: "Oh, I've never heard of it. Well, the reflective belts are so that cars can see you at night." [so I repeat...]

Me: "But transient lodging and the Bra, the socialization area, are open to pedestrians only. There are no cars."

Safety SNCO: "Well, in case you go off the someplace else, it'd be easy to forgot to put on your reflective belt."

[being a new SSgt., I didn't want to press any more.]

What I Learned:

-Safety, apparently, knows jack shit about current ops in OIF/OEF. And I'm not talking about an Airman, rather, a SNCO. Safety first, to the extent of forgetting the mission, right boys?

-I could not to be trusted to remember to grab a reflective belt when leaving a hypothetical pedestrian-only no reflective belt zone.

Fantastic

• Upvote 1

Guest Hueypilot812

What I Learned:

-Safety, apparently, knows jack shit about current ops in OIF/OEF. And I'm not talking about an Airman, rather, a SNCO. Safety first, to the extent of forgetting the mission, right boys?

Depends on who's working in safety. You were probably talking to an NCO who works in ground safety, and they come from a variety of career fields. Most everyone in flight safety has been deployed at some point, because they are either bag-wearers or aircraft maintenance troops.

That being said, from my perspective as an FSO, the reflective belt thing isn't really being driven by safety...it seems to be a favorite tool of chiefs and leadership to have one more queepy thing to focus on. Flight safety is too busy dealing with HATRs, CMAVs and mishaps to care much about reflective belts.

That being said, from my perspective as an FSO, the reflective belt thing isn't really being driven by safety...

Exactly. How many people were getting run over because they didn't have reflective belts? If you took the total number of fatalities in that category over the entire history of the AF, it'd still be less than a couple months worth of car/motorcycle accident accident fatalities.

So big blue should just not let anyone drive or ride. /sarcasm

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fourtenwedge

Action Figure Therapy has finally gotten around to addressing reflective belts:

I havent been here in a long while but saw this Action Figure Therapy and was gonna post this exact video. Glad someone already had it posted. I don't know why I doubted you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

i know a few guys with "active" reflective belts (i.e. self powered and illuminated). I'm terrified they're going to catch on.

We had a guy who had the LED belt buckle on his reflective belt...he was directed to stop wearing it because he was "mocking the policy".