Booze Talk

B*D*A

Thanks Helo,

My friend's dad is a big scotch guy; he travels across the pond frequently for work and always brings back the goods. Had the Balvenie and some Caol Ila 12 after a good ol' fish n chips dinner.

BTW, I had it 'neat', for the first time, although for the second glass, I added one ice cube as the little booklet in the bottle tube recommended, definitely brought out some more flavors, hard to describe now as I was a little intox when I had it. Really enjoyed having it neat though, swishing it around, breathing it in, feeling the burn on the gums and all the fore/aftertastes. I used to be only a craft beer drinker, but now that my eyes have been opened to true whisky, my horizons have been broadened.

Thanks for the link, sir.

Get rid of ice cubes. Learn to dribble just a little water in. The cold of the ice cube is not very good for the flavors.

All you need to know: "neat with a water back."

Guest Grind

Yeah I just learned that from Ralfys videos.

Should the water be room temp? Or slightly chilled? I'm guessing that the water should be filtered and as tasteless (not mineral enhanced bottled) as possible so as not to contaminate the whisky?

I'm still learning; thanks for the tip.

Edited by Grind

Just had some Lagavulin 16 year this past weekend, by coincidence. Fantastic - I've always been a fan of the heavier scotch varieties. There's a bar down in Sacramento that has the largest library of scotch and whiskys in the area and it might as well be a small slice of heaven. I'm slowly wading through them dram by delicious dram.

Also, the bourban standby, Basil Haydens - it never disappoints.

There's a bar down in Sacramento that has the largest library of scotch and whiskys in the area and it might as well be a small slice of heaven. I'm slowly wading through them dram by delicious dram.

Would this be deVere's? If so, I've never been there, but have heard about it. The menu is impressive.

Next time you're in Vegas check out Comme Ca at the Cosmopolitan. Awesome scotch & whiskey selection and an amazing balcony view of the Strip to boot.

If you venture away from downtown, Freakin' Frogs over by UNLV has a HUGE scotch & whiskey selection - just about anything you'd want to try.

Would this be deVere's? If so, I've never been there, but have heard about it. The menu is impressive.

It would be. Almost everything on the menu is made by hand in the kitchen: breads, mustards, butchering of meats and sausage making, etc. All of it is traditional Irish styles, to include some oddities you don't see often in the States such as black and white pudding. No, not the dessert type pudding.

Between that and the rear wall full of scotch and whisky, its a regular haunt for me. Highest recommendations. for what its worth.

1324532387-double_chocolate_opt.jpg

I admit, mixing chocolate with booze might normally be reserved for chicks, but this is amazing. It's definitely not a liquer or a cordial(I am looking at you, Tennessee Honey), it is a good bourbon with a hint of chocolate and it has been dessert over ice all week long.

• 4 months later...

Speaking of bourbon, I'm about to drop 120$ on some pappy van winkle 20 year based on word of mouth alone. Anyone actually tried it? I'm not normally into aged bourbon but I have some Jefferson 18 year which is amazing so I know it's possible to have an older bourbon without the tannins destroying the flavor.

Speaking of bourbon, I'm about to drop 120$ on some pappy van winkle 20 year based on word of mouth alone. Anyone actually tried it? I'm not normally into aged bourbon but I have some Jefferson 18 year which is amazing so I know it's possible to have an older bourbon without the tannins destroying the flavor.

Yes. It is an incredible bourbon. Whatever they did to age it properly worked.

only heard great things about pappy's...unfortunately never tried it.

On another note, Stranahan's whiskey is delicious. Distillery is in Denver, free tours, and it's connected to a bar with great beer on tap and delicious food.

On another note, Stranahan's whiskey is delicious. Distillery is in Denver, free tours, and it's connected to a bar with great beer on tap and delicious food.

Agreed. One of my favorites...can't wait to pick up several bottles while on leave soon.