New Weapons School patch

Guest rapier01

Why are there two U-2s? Or is one of them meant to be Global Hawk?

Looks more like two Global Hawks to me.

As usual, the artist can't figure out what a U-2 planform looks like.

Idiots.

Edited by Huggyu2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That bigass blob up top...I see all the different Herks on the patch already, but (as much as it wouldn't make sense throwing this in with the aircraft views), if you look at it the right way it kindof looks like somebody's idea of a specter. Maybe meant to represent the gunships? I dunno, just a thought. Doesn't look like any kind of plane though, that's for sure.

I think it's an Intel Spook.

Correct, and it is upside down, which may be appropriate!

There have been previous Group patches that looked like this, I believe this is simply an update (and sorry if that has already been said, but I am TDY with limited connectivity).

Cheers! M2

CH

Which Historian are we talking about? The USAF Historian, or the Nellis Historian?

The current USAF Historian is an F-4 Patch Wearer. Getting rid of the division patches doesn't sound like something he'd do.

Steve,

I would imagine it was under a previous regime as the same thing happened when I was at Robins AFB in the late 1990s.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the comment about getting rid of HO, I disagree. First, it truly is a tiny portion of the budget. Second, to the best of my knowledge there are no more active duty HO guys (and the ones that were were 99% enlisted TSgt - Chief), they all were converted to civilian under "he who shall not be named's" regime. There are Reserve uniformed HO dudes, a handful in DC and at Maxwell.

Second, the stated intent of the HO program is to serve as a lessons learned bank for USAF leadership. Whether they serve that function or not is a different conversation. As the Air Staff stood up A8 (I think) that has as one of its missions to prepare/present lessons learned, I have my own opinion.

Third, there is a need to have some way of capturing the history and heritage of our service. Would you have that just tossed away? Guess we don't need the National Museum of the USAF, the gate guard airplanes, the Museum of Aviation at Robins, the Flight Test Museum at Edwards, the Armament Museum at Eglin, etc, etc.

All those records from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, ONW/OSW, OEF, OIF, etc, etc, should be sh1tcanned. After all, who cares? Same for those photos.

Qweep over some stuff? Sure. Directed, usually, by the CSAF or MAJCOM/CC? Yep. Remember, again, "he whose name shall not be mentioned's" heritage drive to save the first 18 or so wings lineage during the drawdown of the post-Cold War 1990s? Mr. DUI himself directed that, USAF/HO was just the tool (sts) to carry it out. From that, I believe the 'standardized' patches purge originated.

CH

Which Historian are we talking about? The USAF Historian, or the Nellis Historian?

The current USAF Historian is an F-4 Patch Wearer. Getting rid of the division patches doesn't sound like something he'd do.

AF level, I believe it is actually the USAF Heraldry Office.

When the divisions became squadrons, the rules changed.

CH

I thought that little blob looked a bit like the old Phantom mascot. Maybe a little slight of hand?

Pull the ######ing it-used-to-be-gay-ass-but-now-it's-so-watered-down-it's-too-meaningless-to-even-be-recognized-as-gay-ass Weapons School patch off.

Put the American flag back on.

Here's some shit. When I tried wearing my flag patch as opposed to my wing patch, I was told it was "against regs". How's that for ######ed up?

Guest John Cocktosten

Long time lurker, very infrequent poster...

They haven't changed the grad patch.

The WS "pizza patch" isn't new. The WS/CO and deputies wore them when I was a WUG in 98A, but it's mostly worn by the front office crew, not the squadron instructors. They just keep adding icons to it as they add MDS'. The intel spook is modeled after the F-4 Phantom

The division patches went away in 2003 when they converted the divisions into Weapons Squadrons (ie F-15C Division became the 433 WPS, the intel division became the 19 WPS, etc).

FYI, the CO in 04-05 tried to introduce instructor patches that said "instructor" instead of "graduate" at the top, IPs wore them in the '50s and '60s, but that went off like a fart in church. They kept the black bordered grad patches instead for instructors.

Edited by John Cocktosten

Only dudes I ever see wearing the Flag are Navy or cadets...does it really matter? We all know why we are serving, I don't really need the flag on my shoulder to prove how patriotic I am. Do I honor the Flag at all times, absolutely, would I rather and do I wear my Wing patch, yes. My $0.02.

Edit: punctuation.

Edited by B*D*A

Only dudes I ever see wearing the Flag are Navy or cadets...does it really matter? We all know why we are serving, I don't really need the flag on my shoulder to prove how patriotic I am. Do I honor the Flag at all times, absolutely, would I rather and do I wear my Wing patch, yes. My $0.02.

and i would rather wear the US Flag instead of a wing patch. leave Enid more and you might see a lot more folks other than Navy or cadets wearing them

Guest JollyFlight21

Helo guys wear 'em. It's a fighter thing to not wear a flag. I've never understood it, but somehow they all usually get behind the idea that B*D*A mentioned. I think they just want to differentiate themselves from the rest of the AF by wearing a wing patch instead of a Flag. Of course, that's total biased BS on my part. Absolutely nothing to back that up whatsoever.

Put the Flag back on! It's cooler than any grad patch or wing patch always.

I see flag patches everyday in heavy land, wear one myself.

Pretty sure it's part of the AMC supplement to 36-2903 that directs the wear of the flag for us heavy folk. Not 100% on that, though - I don't have the AMC sup, and I'm not interested enough in confirming it to go searching for it.

Here's some shit. When I tried wearing my flag patch as opposed to my wing patch, I was told it was "against regs". How's that for ######ed up?

We told the same when TDY to EWO...TDY!

Baffles me that somehow the wing supercedes the US flag.

Hmmm...45 pages complaining about the stupid shit our leadership focuses on at the 'deid.

Then there's this thread.

Good point. I started the flag/patch "argument". My bad, I suppose.

I'm a heavy guy and I think you should have to shoot or drop something that explodes to wear a Weapons School patch.

My $.02.

Back to drinking.

Pretty sure it's part of the AMC supplement to 36-2903 that directs the wear of the flag for us heavy folk. Not 100% on that, though - I don't have the AMC sup, and I'm not interested enough in confirming it to go searching for it.

Must be. I went to school in Charleston and spent a good bit of senior year on base with one of the squadrons. Everybody wore the flag. You're right, probably an AMC thing. Never saw anybody that I can recall wearing a wing patch.

Looks more like two Global Hawks to me.

As usual, the artist can't figure out what a U-2 planform looks like.

Idiots.

I'm just guessing here, but I think those two silhouettes are the Pred and the Rapier since neither the U-2 nor the Global-piece-of-crap-Hawk have Weapons School attendees.

Why is it that we support the Weapons School, but we don't have Weapons Graduate U-2 pilots?

Kuma