Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

If we piss off the "host nation" enough that they stop working with us effectively though, we're losing these small wars because the entire point of us being there is to stabilize these sh*t holes enough that violence at least doesn't spill out into the rest of the world.

I didn't realise that America was working to stabilise Qatar. I thought that the basing of combat assets at Al Udeid was the result of a marriage of convenience between Dohar and Washington. As such, it's peculiar to say the least for the US military to throw away in Qatar the very freedoms that it is fighting to introduce in Iraq and Afghanistan.

If we don't win the propaganda war in the eyes of the target country population the enemy will be endless and killing becomes pointless.

You actually need to win the propaganda war at home, first. This policy will not help you do that.

And quite how implementing a policy in Qatar that could actually harm your own people (no drinking water on the flightline) will allow you to strike a moral victory over the Taliban or AQ in Iraq or Afghanistan is beyond me.

I didn't even make the connection that it was him until you brought that up. I, too, was at CAFB during his tenure.

Agreed - he seemed like a good guy.

Ditto on being at CBM during his reign. I put the two together when I saw his name and confirmed it when I saw his ugly mug on his bio. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about him at the Died? In other words, is he the one responsible for the extra stupidity recently being introduced, or do we think he trying to fight it? He seemed like a good guy the last time I pounded a few cold ones down with him at the CBM club.

Ditto on being at CBM during his reign. I put the two together when I saw his name and confirmed it when I saw his ugly mug on his bio. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about him at the Died? In other words, is he the one responsible for the extra stupidity recently being introduced, or do we think he trying to fight it? He seemed like a good guy the last time I pounded a few cold ones down with him at the CBM club.

Flew with him, and he seemed like a good guy. But it IS his signature on the reflective belt/PT/crocs/Ramadan memos.

Hopefully all 64 pages (and counting) of this thread are printed out into a nice packet and given to the incoming CC as required reading when he assumes command.

Edit: is/are confusion.

Edited by Champ Kind

He told our class when we first started that he didn't mind fun. He told us he didn't mind if we ripped the urinals off the wall in the club, as long as we payed for it we'd be a-okay. (strange example I know but whatever)

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone was willing to ops-check that statement at the Deid.

He told our class when we first started that he didn't mind fun. He told us he didn't mind if we ripped the urinals off the wall in the club, as long as we payed for it we'd be a-okay. (strange example I know but whatever)

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone was willing to ops-check that statement at the Deid.

If you can provide proof he actually said that, I'll be happy to ops-check that statement the next time I'm through...

...granted, I fly the B-52 and those planes don't fly into there...but still...

And it's so cliche but here's a Sun Tzu quote for ya; I heard he was a real shoe in his day.

Nice "Sun Tzu" quote...I'll give you twenty virtual beers if you can tell me what chapter that's in.

Edit: The original "quote" dropped out. Here's what it said:

Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Edited by LockheedFix

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the dumbness continues...got an email from the first sgt today saying that they are changing the auab uniform reg to require that pt shirts stay tucked in at ALL times (including while working out/running) and that we are required to salute in PT gear, even officers of a higher rank that are wearing PT gear that we recognize. I think some people were getting too much morale and we need to take it down a notch.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir. I didn't salute because I didn't recognize you in PT gear...without any rank displayed."

I saw a similar email today and honestly, this doesn't change my "NO SALUTING IN PT GEAR POLICY." I'll just bust out the half-sincere apology and Bill Murray salute (sweat stains included) if called out by some Col/General who has nothing better to do.

469640089889.jpg

Guest Homestar

This kind of thing goes back and forth constantly it seems. The AUAB 36-2903 is only a month old (striking down the sandal as an authorized form of footwear in CC) so I give it, oh, another month before the revision process begins again in earnest!

My favorite paragraph from AUAB 36-2903:

6.1.10. Swimwear. Only conservative swimwear, to include Speedos, is authorized at the base pool. Thongs are not authorized.

Second favorite paragraph:

1.1.4. Absent of specific authorization to wear a clothing item means that it is not authorized.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir. I didn't salute because I didn't recognize you in PT gear...without any rank displayed."

I saw a similar email today and honestly, this doesn't change my "NO SALUTING IN PT GEAR POLICY." I'll just bust out the half-sincere apology and Bill Murray salute (sweat stains included) if called out by some Col/General who has nothing better to do.

This is my plan. Especially when I'm in PT gear...prove that you outrank me. Do you really want to spend the time comparing ID cards with every person you walk by?

Anyone care to post a copy of this "reg" for the purposes of mocking and ridicule? Also heard a rumor of a little known provision that transients are only required to wear clothing "similar to" PT gear. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I just looked through a few regs and couldn't find any reference to the transient aircrew thing.

From what I heard the new salute policy/shirts tucked in at all times memo is presently being passed around for final signatures and should be implemented here shortly. I attend "right start" in the morning so I am sure I will hear some good info there. :bash:

Guest Hueypilot812

I think the saluting in PT gear thing is extremely idiotic. They had that rule at Sather when I was over there, and I had a 1Lt CE officer try to jack me up for not saluting him (I'm a Captain).

Our squadron CC (Lt Col) was wearing PTs talking to another O-5 that was in uniform in passing, and the non-rated guy (I think he was the FSS/CC) said "I think you should be referring to me as sir". Our CC responded "well, I usually don't call other O-5s sir". Dude backpedaled and made up some lame excuse that there aren't many O-5s on Sather (which is untrue...there are a sh!tload because of the hospital, the CAFTT Group HQ, and our CAFTT ops).

This is just too funny. But this is really like that cartoon where the AF guys says "this sucks" because the cable is out.

Most seem not to mind spartan conditions - the problem is not so much with the external suck making life bad as our own leadership unnecessarily doing it. Many would probably rather work on a more spartan FOB which didn't have as many shoes with nothing better to do than make everyone elses life difficult.

Most seem not to mind spartan conditions - the problem is not so much with the external suck making life bad as our own leadership unnecessarily doing it. Many would probably rather work on a more spartan FOB which didn't have as many shoes with nothing better to do than make everyone elses life difficult.

Bingo. I have very little problem with the living conditions. I take issue with people who go out of their way to deliberately make deployments more difficult for no discernable purpose.

Exactly. Of course this is from an old crewdog that isn't in the fight anymore...but I think the main issue is the pussification/homoization of the Air Force. I mean come on when a 4 star has to apologize to us for making a joke about how good we have it as flyboys and somebody gets a chaffed crotch and cries. Our senior leadership is completely unsat any way you look at it. Grow some nads and put a stop to all of this crap and be the Air Force.

Since I have no current knowledge of USAF leadership other than what I read in Baseops, I do kind of wonder if there is a certain amount of excess complaining/whining which of course would be normal. What I see in my kids current AF Magazine really has me wondering. I like to look over the nice color pictures of the senior leaders and the first thing that leapt to mind was.....Why are these men smiling? Other than Chandler, Deptula, Hoffman, North and the Historian for Christ sake they look like a convention of prosperous dentists who happen to have the same tailor. So I thumb back a few pages to a picture of Billy Mitchell who I must say looks pretty bummed. Ever see a picture of Gen Lemay where he DIDN'T look like he wanted to kick somebody in the nuts? At the back of the mag they have pictures of some real heavy hitters most of whom look like they have just...SURPRISE...been through a war. Maybe this whole screed is a cheap shot but I fail to see under current conditions what is making Schwartz the Chief of staff so happy. Prozac in the water at the Pentagon? Denial? Too much puss......Ooop's sorry...

....."To lure the wily dentist out of his lair we built a crude driving range".........

I have been known to say that time and time again... I would much rather live in tents, eat MREs, etc. if it meant no shoes around to "manage" all the extraneous crap in this "combat zone." When deployed bases start having SAVs, Room Inspections, and exercises.... when people have TIME to coordinate and oversee that crap.... it's time for some folks to go home. As long as there's shit and people to move, I'll stay, but send some of these noners home so those who actually have a mission in this fight can get on it with it unimpeded.

Some crusty guy said it best to me: "When Services began to show up on base, I knew the 'war' was over."

Dude, spot on. 64 pages of griping about shoes making it difficult for us to do our job or unpleasant when we aren't actively doing our job. Not a single complaint about heat, bugs, shitty showers, bugs, rats...etc. My favorite deployment memories are all places out in the weeds where I could focus on my job and no one cared if my sleeves were rolled up!

I have been known to say that time and time again... I would much rather live in tents, eat MREs, etc. if it meant no shoes around to "manage" all the extraneous crap in this "combat zone." When deployed bases start having SAVs, Room Inspections, and exercises.... when people have TIME to coordinate and oversee that crap.... it's time for some folks to go home. As long as there's shit and people to move, I'll stay, but send some of these noners home so those who actually have a mission in this fight can get on it with it unimpeded.

Some crusty guy said it best to me: "When Services began to show up on base, I knew the 'war' was over."

Word on the street is, Al Udeid won't be a deployed location much longer...it's going to become a permanent base, complete with 2 year tours with the wife and kids.

I wonder if you'll still have to wear PT gear everywhere at that point?

Edited by pawnman

As an almost free lance reservist I refuse to got to bases that have become worse than home base. I don't mind leaving the family for a couple months, but I'm not going to put up with more mil BS deployed than at home.. Drinking 3 beers a day isn't worth the Died, I honestly don't mind the liver recoup and it justifies my excesses.

Died mispelled on pourpose as were all other mispels.

Word on the street is, Al Udeid won't be a deployed location much longer...it's going to become a permanent base, complete with 2 year tours with the wife and kids.

I wonder if you'll still have to wear PT gear everywhere at that point?

I'm glad to see the rumor mill is still strong. I've heard that rumor for the last four years. Schools, medical support and much more has to happen before wife and kids show up.