Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

From the AUABI 34-246 1 March 2009

Out-Processing.

2.4.1. “1+1” and Non Pre-Designated “1+0” Rooms. Outgoing personnel will inform BPC/LMO of their departure date no later than seven calendar days prior to departure. Outgoing personnel will conduct a room inspection with their squadron billeting POC; place clean linens in the room; and return room key to BPC/LMO on the day of departure. If member is delayed departing for any reason, member will be assigned a transient bed in CC through the Transient/LMO.

That reg has been superseded. It is not the latest guidance.

We had two 365 Lt Cols assigned to tents for two weeks in July.

dude, moving out of your room is just common courtesy for folks coming in. Sucks that it was more than a week overlap, but giving the incoming dudes they room they will be in for the duration of their deployment is how it should be done.

dude, moving out of your room is just common courtesy for folks coming in. Sucks that it was more than a week overlap, but giving the incoming dudes they room they will be in for the duration of their deployment is how it should be done.

True enough. If you're not a senior leader or IP/IWSO in the squadron, you aren't likely to be that heavily tasked in your last week or two. Sure, it sucks to move to the tents...but you're going home. It sucks more to be stuck here for six months. Make it just a little easier by giving those guys a clean, empty room to move into.

True enough. If you're not a senior leader or IP/IWSO in the squadron, you aren't likely to be that heavily tasked in your last week or two. Sure, it sucks to move to the tents...but you're going home. It sucks more to be stuck here for six months. Make it just a little easier by giving those guys a clean, empty room to move into.

Feel free to correct, but i think afnav was talking about guys who had been there for a 365, and on the ass-end of their tour were kicked to tents while waiting for a ride home. I'd imagine one's tolerance for tent living is exponentially greater at the beginning rather than the end of a year-long vacation to the desert. In that case, yea, it sucks and if I had a vote I'd keep the departing guys in real rooms until their ride was ready and have the new arrivals deal with tent city until their room was ready so long as it didn't take forever; obviously a smooth, on-time transition would be best but you know how that usually works out...

Feel free to correct, but i think afnav was talking about guys who had been there for a 365, and on the ass-end of their tour were kicked to tents while waiting for a ride home. I'd imagine one's tolerance for tent living is exponentially greater at the beginning rather than the end of a year-long vacation to the desert. In that case, yea, it sucks and if I had a vote I'd keep the departing guys in real rooms until their ride was ready and have the new arrivals deal with tent city until their room was ready so long as it didn't take forever; obviously a smooth, on-time transition would be best but you know how that usually works out...

Wow, can't believe I'm agreeing with a post of yours... that's how it was way back when I was in. Old guys stayed put until they rotated out, new guys filled into rooms (once they were vacated by guys going home) from a tent city area.

For us it's always been move out so the new guys can move right in and start flying missions. Looks like each squadron is different.

I'll agree with Murph here. 2 tours at the Deid and we always made sure that the incoming person had a quality place to rest his/her head with fresh linens. If that meant giving up your own bunk and sleeping in the transient tent, so be it. That way they could move right in and you were packed to leave. Caveat: we were all in tents.

Edited by BQZip01

So here's a question:

Just where do these dweebs (especially Lts - hell even Capts for that matter) get off thinking that just because someone is in PT gear and not a uniform with displayed rank that they are automatically outranked and therefore need to salute? I mean, seriously - does the thought not cross their pathetic little minds that maybe, just maybe, there are people on base that outrank them?

Un-fucking-believable. I would have a meltdown of biblical proportions if someone of equal or lesser rank stopped me and told me to salute just because I was in PT gear and they were not.

So here's a question:

Just where do these dweebs (especially Lts - hell even Capts for that matter) get off thinking that just because someone is in PT gear and not a uniform with displayed rank that they are automatically outranked and therefore need to salute? I mean, seriously - does the thought not cross their pathetic little minds that maybe, just maybe, there are people on base that outrank them?

Un-fucking-believable. I would have a meltdown of biblical proportions if someone of equal or lesser rank stopped me and told me to salute just because I was in PT gear and they were not.

Agreed. On the other hand, if you start memorizing the faces of the jack-ass NCOs who tell you to take the sunglasses off your head or wear a reflective belt, it is a useful tool for retaliatory REMF-ery.

That is exactly what I'm talking about.

A 365-er has more time on the bus than an AEF-er has in-theater.

If you've ever been around one that is been on station for more than 200 days, they are clearly insane. I'll be there in around a month (or less).

So here's a question:

Un-######ing-believable. I would have a meltdown of biblical proportions if someone of equal or lesser rank stopped me and told me to salute just because I was in PT gear and they were not.

Let's not lump all LTs into the same idiocy boat. I think saluting in PTs is ######ing retarded. Somebody's mentioned it before, but the next thing you know we'll have to have some kind of rank insignia on the PT shirt to clear this up. This has bad idea written all over it.

Let's not lump all LTs into the same idiocy boat. I think saluting in PTs is ######ing retarded. Somebody's mentioned it before, but the next thing you know we'll have to have some kind of rank insignia on the PT shirt to clear this up. This has bad idea written all over it.

Whoa there! This needs to NOT be mentioned, ever again, or somebody is going to think it's a fantastic idea and get it instituted in the next uniform board...

They just added it to the fleece jacket, PTs can't be too far behind.

Gortex rank displayed in the window of the ID card holder man purse thingie, cheap & effective. I'm sure someone from the Desert Dildoes is trolling this web site for "ideas". So rock on Deid warriors. :bash:

Rank with PT gear...WTF?

EDIT: Me not spell so good.

Edited by Stitch

Gortex rank displayed in the window of the ID card holder man purse thingie, cheap & effective. I'm sure someone from the Desert Dildoes is trolling this web site for "ideas". So rock on Deid warriors. :bash:

Rank with PT gear...WTF?

EDIT: Me not spell so good.

I just need to say that those man-purses are way too prevelant. I have seen dudes literally wearing them like purses, with the string across the front of their chest and around their back.

If anything, THATS the stuff that needs to go around being corrected.

Some people must enjoy being deployed so much that they want to bring a little bit of the desert back home... per the attached memo, the pt tuck will be mandatory for all AETC personnel whether or not on an AETC base as of 1 Oct. Looking forward to some CBTs on detecting the fake front tuck.

AETC PT Wear Policy.pdf

Some people must enjoy being deployed so much that they want to bring a little bit of the desert back home... per the attached memo, the pt tuck will be mandatory for all AETC personnel whether or not on an AETC base as of 1 Oct. Looking forward to some CBTs on detecting the fake front tuck.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but BFD. It only applies to "organized PT activities". Of course, it applies to PT testing and as such has the potential for a bunch of REMFs standing around the track to scream at you about your tuck. But, really it's only 1.5 miles of listening to them and then you re-tuck.

When the AFI says "it is not required to tuck in your shirt." and some genius says, "In my command, we will all tuck in our shirts" When is AF leadership going to stand up and say, "Hey, dipstick! We gave our troops an option for a good reason: it's friggin' uncomfortable to wear it tucked in and forcing them to tuck it in allows assho1e shoeclerks to nag people about something else. Let them do as they please and leave 'em alone."

I love being in a deployed location wearing PT gear (not really) and walking by a fellow Capt that is in uniform. I look somewhat young for my age, so most think that I am somewhere between SrA-SSgt. When passing, I like to scratch my head with my right hand just as we are about to pass. Sometimes they'll bite and start to salute. Kind of brightens up your day a little bit...kind of like seeing someone trip.

Here's my funny desert story--

We had just flown a 12-hr OEF sortie and made it back just in time for breakfast. I had quickly changed out of my flight suit & into my PTs. I was then walking to the DFAC with my engineer who was still wearing his flight suit. On the way, we came upon a shoe-Chief that was walking with a shoe-Captain (both were in uniform). The Capt was looking directly at the ground when we passed, my engineer didn't salute. Of course the Chief noticed this right away and stopped. She then spouted off "Do we not salute Captains anymore?" My FE then told the Chief that he was going to salute, but the Capt wasn't even looking in his direction. She then said, "Ok, thats fine, but what about you?" (Obviously talking to me). I then told the Chief that I don't salute those of the same rank. She & the Capt both looked at me like I was lying out of my ass. I thought for a second that the Capt was going to ask for an ID in order to verify that I hadn't "broken the law". I was hoping that he would, but he never did. Good thing we had only been in country for a couple of weeks, because if we had been towards the end of the deployment, I probably would have said something to them both that would have got me into trouble.

We had just flown a 12-hr OEF sortie and made it back just in time for breakfast. I had quickly changed out of my flight suit & into my PTs. I was then walking to the DFAC with my engineer who was still wearing his flight suit. On the way, we came upon a shoe-Chief that was walking with a shoe-Captain (both were in uniform). The Capt was looking directly at the ground when we passed, my engineer didn't salute. Of course the Chief noticed this right away and stopped. She then spouted off "Do we not salute Captains anymore?" My FE then told the Chief that he was going to salute, but the Capt wasn't even looking in his direction. She then said, "Ok, thats fine, but what about you?" (Obviously talking to me). I then told the Chief that I don't salute those of the same rank. She & the Capt both looked at me like I was lying out of my ass. I thought for a second that the Capt was going to ask for an ID in order to verify that I hadn't "broken the law". I was hoping that he would, but he never did. Good thing we had only been in country for a couple of weeks, because if we had been towards the end of the deployment, I probably would have said something to them both that would have got me into trouble.

So obviously you turned the question back onto the Chief, correct? Since you informed her of your rank she should have rendered the proper courtesy, even if you are in PT gear.

Guest Sandlapper

I've found that if you ignore these D-bags & keep walking, they either become more enraged and chase you down or simply give up, realizing their F-up. Either way, you've won...the out-of-control-mad ones are the most fun. To this special breed, say this (loudly): "You. Come with me." Act pissed. Then proceed to the chow hall & order your food. Enjoy some ice cream. Most importantly, don't acknowledge their presence in any way. This is a winning strategy.

We have 2, two-striper ARMS troops with us out here. We also get to hear their stories of REMF-ery, but sadly, they don't have the rank to fire back. One was in PT gear, wearing her iPod, on her way to chow. When she got into the building, she took the earbuds out and tucked them into the armband. One of these double-Ds told her "you can't wear your iPod indoors". (Really? Someone should make a sweep through the gym.)

Our other ARMS troop was getting on the bus to come to work. He's sitting there in his ABU's, minding his own business, and he gets out his iPod to pass the time on the bus ride (I'm sure we've all been there, done that). As I'm sure you can guess, some DD yells at him for having headphones on while in uniform.

So much for creativity, intelligence, or common sense. Maybe all these regs need the standard you'll find at the beginning of any TO: This document is not meant to replace sound judgement.