Tops in Blue (TIB) - WTF?

Steve Davies

TIB is more than just a retention tool, it allows bases to practice team work at a very high level without the high cost. You have to understand that TIB is an immense undertaking at each base. Logistics coordination in of itself gives each base a taste of what it takes to work as a "whole" team to get the mission done. This allows bases to see their logistical weak spots without the cost of a real ops-tempo. Maybe there should be a more open forum for folks to see what it really takes to run a "low cost" high ops-tempo regimen such as TIB. You would be AMAZED at what individual bases would learn from the after-action reports.

JuanRamos TIB92

Juan,

Everybody on this thread who took the time to read this nonsense is now dumber for having done so. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

p.s.

Choketh thyself

Edited by usaf36031

All you guys do is whine about everything!! It's incredible you don't have your mommas come along with you to wipe your asses before and after flights. I am going to begin making it my mission to make your lives a living hell on base... Don't bring your whiny concerns to finance, medical, maintenance etc... I have found a new calling! Thanks so much for making it easier to just say "NO" to you whiny little bitches...

Begin? I suspect you've already been making operator's lives a living hell long before you found this forum.

It's not whining, it's calling people out for not doing their jobs.

Where did the Air Force go wrong? Why do airmen increasingly believe that everybody is a "warrior"? Why do we have retired veterans trying to equate Tops in Blue logistical lessons learned to real world, ongoing deployments?

I think it was that little emphasis a couple years back called Every Airman a Warrior. Ever since then the Don Juan Ramos' of the world have become ever increasingly self important.

Seriously, Tops in Blue? I've never seen this traveling sideshow and now I never will.

This guy has to be yanking our chain. Someone posing as Juan Ramos.

Anybody looked up Mr Ramos' office symbol on the Global? I'm betting there are people out there with less letters in their office symbols who'd be very interested about Mr Ramos' new "mission".

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go get a clue as to what it takes to keep us whiny girls qualified to fly planes.

Edited by Hacker

He's at the Air force Safety Center,

AFSC/SEAC

SEA is the Analysis and Integration Division.

SEAC is the Computer Programing department. Since he apparently works in safety and has made it his self avowed mission to make our lives miserable I can only assume that he will be jeopardizing operations safety.

http://www.afsc.af.mil/organizations/

Shouldn't someone notify his supervisor or something? This seems like treason to me!

USAFPilot, cheers, bro! Way to make an entrance. Welcome!

I think next time a shoe gets mad at me for not knowing their job (like I'm pretty sure finance is going to whenever I file that 3-week late travel voucher) I'm going to ask them if they know how to fly cargo planes. When they say "no," I'm going to remind them that I don't get mad at them for riding in the back of my plane and tell them to drive themselves. They don't know how to fly, so I give them a ride when they need it. Similarly, I don't know much about their job, so they can help me out with finance.

We might be getting played....

...but on the chance we're not, Juan has himself a thread revival on AF.mil:

Linky

I'm getting more popcorn!

I sure hope no one called Kirtland to try to find the good retired Sgt there. This Ramos guy sure has a thing about "after action reports"...

The heck with popcorn - we need to break out the nachos and :beer:

Edited by ExBoneOSO

Oops - it appears I had bad info...based on the latest link provided by Crog he's at McGuire (and not Kirtland)...

Anyone run into this guy?

USAFPilot - have you ever thought about writing a mission statement? (aka Jerry McGuire) Nice post.

Guest Sandlapper

Hi there, Mr. Ramos! Just curious if you've been agonizing over how to adequately verbalize the "sincere regret" you feel for having made such a poorly worded comment a few days ago on this site. Don't worry - no apology expected here...we get it. What's that? Oh, I see...one of your buddies was just goofin' us, and used your name without your knowlege, huh?

Here's a little free advice, brainiac: next time you decide to kick the proverbial hornet's nest in an online forum, don't use your real name. Genius.

Logistics coordination in of itself gives each base a taste of what it takes to work as a "whole" team to get the mission done...they would be MORE amazed if they knew the logistics behind it.

I know you have been beaten to death but feel compelled to add this little snippet I just finished reading...lets compare the "logistics coordination" needed to get the "mission done." TIP vs Real world of course. Here is my real world example:

Two Air Force C-17s and one C-130, along with multiple aircrews, aeromedical evacuation teams, and agencies from around the world, came together in late July to help save the life of a British soldier who was seriously wounded in Afghanistan. This soldier had sustained multiple gunshot wounds to the abdomen and chest. Medical personnel determined that he had to be taken to Germany for upgraded care. Immediately, Air Mobility Command officials sprang into action to coordinate the complex task of the patient's move. "Not only did we have to find a plane and crew to fly the patient out of theater, but also we had to find another plane and aircrew to get the right medical personnel and equipment into Afghanistan because we needed specialized medical teams to care for the patient in-flight," said Col. John Martins, director of operations of the 618th Tanker Airlift Control Center at Scott AFB, Ill. Despite the Herculean challenge, the patient was on a C-17 heading to Ramstein Air Base within 22 hours of the first call for help. He arrived at Ramstein on Aug. 2, and as of Aug. 4 was at a university hospital in Germany in critical condition—but alive. "When you look at the requirements we had, its awe inspiring to see how many people will come together to save one life," said MSgt. Keyser Voigt, an aeromedical evacuation mission controller in the TACC. (Scott report by Capt. Justin Brockhoff)

I will await your TIP example that comes within .01% of worthiness...if even that.

I will await your TIP example that comes within .01% of worthiness...if even that.

This one time at TIB camp, all their blue sequins and glitter got melted together. They had to find a convertible VW bug to drive to the local Faggots-R-us to replace them. Do you know what a logistical challenge that was?

Edited by slacker

Linky

Anyone else notice that his reply here was almost word-for-word what it was on AF.mil? Minus, of course, the "pilots are whiny bitches" comments (after all, leadership might actually READ the AF.mil one). I wonder if he's got it saved as a Word document on his desktop at work so he can just cut and paste it everytime someone bashes TIB in a public forum?

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4

Linky

Thanks for the link. You know what would make TIB useful? Take these strumpets and dress them like the Pussycat Dolls. Then free lapdances to guys in the AOR and handjobs for dudes who've taken schrapnel.

I'd give them something to hold instead of those mikes. She wants me:

090709-F-7087B-115.jpg

SrA Bone!

090709-F-7087B-262.jpg

See that bald guy? He's just ripped his PT shorts and ruined his reflective belt:

090709-F-7087B-239.jpg

SJ4

Wow...

I have to admit...as a retired AF vet...I am ashamed of the pilots writing on this forum. You are a bad example for others to follow...if I knew you were flying me over to Balad or any other place, i would definitely call you out on your vociferous opinions. You folks are clueless to the nature of what it really means to be part of the AF team. You have no clue as to how what it takes to even keep you whiny girls qualified to fly planes. Out of all the folks on base, I have had pilots come in whining about finance, parachutes and harnesses, medical waivers, etc... All you guys do is whine about everything!! It's incredible you don't have your mommas come along with you to wipe your asses before and after flights. I am going to begin making it my mission to make your lives a living hell on base... Don't bring your whiny concerns to finance, medical, maintenance etc... I have found a new calling! Thanks so much for making it easier to just say "NO" to you whiny little bitches...

Also,

TIB is more than just a retention tool, it allows bases to practice team work at a very high level without the high cost. You have to understand that TIB is an immense undertaking at each base. Logistics coordination in of itself gives each base a taste of what it takes to work as a "whole" team to get the mission done. This allows bases to see their logistical weak spots without the cost of a real ops-tempo. Maybe there should be a more open forum for folks to see what it really takes to run a "low cost" high ops-tempo regimen such as TIB. You would be AMAZED at what individual bases would learn from the after-action reports.

Most people that walk away from a TIB show are amazed that the Air Force can even accomplish such a feat as this on such a shoe string budget and tight schedule...they would be MORE amazed if they knew the logistics behind it. Lets make it more visible folks, thats the only way to prove it's worth...of which I already know...but one that cynical f*&ks like you will never understand.

JuanRamos TIB92

Go ahead, call me out - you do not even come close to scaring me. I have contributed FAR more to the real mission of the United States Air Force in my 2 1/2 years as a boom operator, than EVERY Tops In Blue performance EVER HAS.

Whine about everything? Well no shit! We are expected to do our jobs right the first time, every time. If not, people die. You SUPPORT agencies don't do your job right... well, there's always tomorrow. Oh, wait: "I'm sorry, we're closed for training tomorrow; you'll have to come back another time." As aircrew, we see tangible results of our training - we get better at our jobs. What are you doing during your "closed for training" sessions? You sure as fuck aren't getting better at your jobs. Especially when I have to do your job to ensure I'm still qualified to fly planes.

Teamwork... last I checked, we're still fighting, supporting, and supplying two conflicts in two different countries, in addition to all the regular peacetime missions (which have not decreased in duration or frequency). So much for your theory about learning teamwork "without the cost of a real ops-tempo".

I am far more amazed by the planning and execution of REAL-WORLD, short-notice, tight-schedule missions whose purpose is to save a fellow American (or non-American, i.e. the Brit soldier evac'd from Afghanistan that stoleit2x referenced a few posts earlier) via airevac, airlift, or airstrike, than ANYTHING a musical/theatrical group could possibly conjure up. After all, the mission of the United States Air Force that I joined is "to fly, fight, and win"... not "to sing, dance, and tweak knobs".

BL: Tops In Blue is not contributing to the current conflicts, or even any future conflicts that I can dream up. I wish Mr. Gates would see TIB for the waste of funding that it is, and immediately shut the program down, reassign every Airman back to their career fields, and use the funding to buy gear/supplies/parts for the forces that actually NEED it.

BTW... I'm DNIF for 45 days, and my location isn't hard to figure out. SITREP to follow.

Muff invasion! These must be TIB washouts. Wonder if they have a soundboard dude..

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 2:30 PM

To: AUAB CAOC ALL Personnel

Subject: Camelot Band Event

ALCON,

The AFCENT Band, Mojave will perform at the Camelot Club this upcoming

weekend from 1900-2100. This is an ALL RANKS event. The Camelot staff

actually opens up the larger doors on the South end of the facility and the

band will be setup outside playing "into" the Camelot. The last event was

one of the most enjoyable evenings in a long time and we even had some guest

singers/air guitarists doing their best rock star imitations (one was a GO).

Please spread the word!

Thank you.

"Mojave is a high energy rock and roll band playing hits of the rock and roll era to today's hits. Mojave accomplishes this with talented musicians, including vocalists and a horn line. The band engages the audience with many interactive tunes and often invites audience members to the stage to perform with them"

Edited by vsu8992

Found this gem and just had to pass it on:

A Tribue To Tops In Blue

Somewhere I read there would be this day

Where the best would gather in their own way

An expression of talent would then be displayed

For all to witness as a big, big parade

I say to myself what can I do

To accomplish the name of TOPS IN BLUE

I know it's not possible without sweat on my brow

So I must not delay it's best to start now

So I take some ideas and toss them around

And then ask my friends "Hey, man, how'd I sound?"

Hey man stop laughing and tell me true

Will I ever make it to TOPS IN BLUE

Not like that is always the word

Man you're the worst I've ever heard

Aw, come on man, was I really that bad?

Naw, man, not really, you were just sad

So I try hard to cast off the criticism

And increase my goal with extra egotism

I've started it now so I'll see it through

And I'll have my chance at TOPS IN BLUE

The day of the base contest I'm nervous as hell

There's always that doubt that I might not fare well

So I sing my song and dance my dance

Never really thinking I'd really have a chance

Now it was up to the judges who held our fate

As my heart started to pound during the long, long wait

And I say "Let it please be me.."

The judges returned and tension was felt

as my heart fell below my belt.

They called off the winners and when they were through

I was one step closer to TOPS IN BLUE

I shake some hands, I take a bow

I wipe the sweat from my brow

I'm so excited, so filled with glee

My chest stands proud for all to see

This was just the beginning you understand

For now I must compete and win command

Where things would be rougher and competition tougher

And little time could be spent with the bad.

But with my chin in the air I went like the devil may care

determined to see my goal through

For I had my heart set and surely nothing could get

in the way of TOPS IN BLUE

Now at command on the stage

I stand with a microphone in my hand

I sing my song, I do my dance, and wonder again if I'll have a chance

For there's a lot of talent here I've watched them perform

I've heard the crowd cheer, I know that they had done their best

I wondered if I had stood the test

The judges took longer than they had before

Discussing and tallying who had the best score

And then the time came for the moment of truth

While everyone quietly shook in their boots

"Let it please be me..."

Then I heard a familiar sound which meant

I had won another round

I shook some hands, I took a bow

I wiped the sweat from my brow

It was at that moment I really knew

That I would have my chance at TOPS IN BLUE

When we arrived at Worldwide, the feeling was hard to describe

The anticipation was a great sensation, and could not be held inside

For there on display, before the show

stood two statues, "ROGER" and "WILCO"

One made of silver, the other of gold

They both stood tall, proud and bold.

Wow, they were such a beautiful sight

And I knew if I earned it I would get one tonight

Now the judges have gone to their rooms to decide

And I feel all choked up inside

My pulse beat faster and then I knew

It was the final call for TOPS IN BLUE

"Let it please be me..."

With everyone quiet a man came on the stage

With a list of finalists, and as he read the page

There were cheers and then some tears

As he continued down the line

I heard a lot of names, but I didn't hear mine

So I shook no hands and took no bow

For me my quest was over now

I realized then the best had won

But I still felt proud of what I'd done

I've gained self-confidence and I understand

That this competition has made me a better man

And even though I didn't accomplish what I had desired

Maybe someone in my audience had been inspired

Well, I've sung my song and did my dance

And I thank God for giving me the chance

To show the world what I could do

With just the thought of being TOPS IN BLUE

I think we all can relate in some way...