Gun Talk

VL-16

TL;DR - Retired General and strong bipartisan support recommending to end the restrictions commanders currently have to gather information about their troops' private ownership of firearms.

http://thehill.com/b...rsonal-firearms

Despite seeing how this policy could help to stem the high rates of suicide in the military, I'm mostly against the idea. I don't like the thought of commanders, or anybody else in my chain of command, getting involved in my or any other service members' firearm ownership. I see this as just another invasion by big blue into my private life - can I have a life of my own please? I can see this morphing into a freak show - worse than all the hoops motorcycle riders have to jump through currently - endless firearm based CBTs, mandatory safety meetings and classes, currencies, forms to fill out and have signed, etc... and for what? A decline in suicides? Yea right! This is about control. I mean, it's not being spun as control currently, but sure as shit, that's what this is about.

Edit: Grammar and formatting.

Edited by Ahab

I'm completely against the idea. It is none of my Commanders fucking business what tools I legally own and possess outside of work.

They don't get to decide what kind of car I drive or when I get to drive it -- and cars aren't even a Constitutional (and SCOTUS-reaffirmed) personal right. Thinking someone might be at risk of suicide is not in any way an excuse for carte blanche authorization for a Commander to pre-emptively remove one of their natural God-given rights.

It is shameful that a 28-year Army Medical Corps officer thinks that treatment of a symptom (ergo, access to firearms) is in any way an effective treatment for what is absolutely a tragedy and an epidemic (military suicides). How about you "medical professionals" use some of that education you have to figure out the actual root cause and treat that instead?

Flight Doc: "Captain, I'm aware that you are seeing me complaining of massive bleeding from your hand being cut off, but instead of actually treating the amputation, we are going to tape your mouth shut so you cannot scream in pain and so you won't bother any of your coworkers with your screams. Come on back in a week and we'll see how you are doing."

Edited by Hacker
  • Upvote 5

So how many of you actually list your firearms by serial number and caliber in the TMO forms like you're supposed to?

When I move I just happen to have an 800 lb gun safe that is closed and locked when the movers show up, but it has no firearms inside. And, no Mr Mover, you cannot look inside.

So how many of you actually list your firearms by serial number and caliber in the TMO forms like you're supposed to?

When I move I just happen to have an 800 lb gun safe that is closed and locked when the movers show up, but it has no firearms inside. And, no Mr Mover, you cannot look inside.

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS move my own firearms.

• Upvote 1

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS move my own firearms.

+1 on this, unfortunately staying on base means you have to register them, just another reason to live off base. I was reading up on the National defense act of 2011, it prohibits commanders from asking about privately owned firearms or requiring registration of them for off base housing.

Not if you forget to do so, which I did many times.

I agree with your sentiment but what happens when it's your lucky day for random car search? I conceal carry so I was frequently taking my handgun on and off base, now I never got searched, but still not the easiest thing to talk your way out of.

I agree with your sentiment but what happens when it's your lucky day for random car search?

In your case you pray you aren't being searched by the guy who needed the two bedroom TLF.

If they think that is the solution, upon the requirement to register my firearms, I think I'll bring in my kitchen knives, a box of matches, a 550 cord noose, some rat poison, and my batman cape because it gives me the ability to fly off of any building in Gotham. Oh, and my car keys. And two handles of JD. They car register all those items too.

Out

SPRINGFIELD-In a huge win for gun-rights groups, a federal appeals court in Chicago Tuesday tossed the state's ban on carrying concealed weapons and gave Illinois' Legislature 180 days to craft a law legalizing concealed carry.

"The debate is over. We won. And there will be a statewide carry law in 2013," said Todd Vandermyde, a lobbyist for the National Rifle Association.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/politics/2012/12/big_win_for_gun-rights_groups_federal_appeals_court_tosses_state_ban_on_carrying_concealed_weapons.html

I'm pretty sure she'd be covered by the intent of the law in that it only belonged to her recently when her father died and once it was "hers" she turned it into police...

Where did you get that ol' dad had 'recently' died? She stated to the officers that it had been 'sitting in her closet' -- there was no length of time given that she had it. None the less, that is still possession of an unregistered, un tax-stamped fully automatic weapon. Folks have ended up with federal convictions for significantly less.

Do you think it might be difficult to charge her when the officer who recieved the gun as part of a non-retributional buy-back program said it was brought in in inoperable condition by a woman who did know know it was a machine gun and that he would help her out and ensure the weapon would remain safe until she could find a buyer because he didn't think a valuable antique should be destroyed?

Just a thought.

ATF agents are federal officers. They likely aren't going to care about a local peace officer's vouching for her, other than that he can positively identify her as being the individual in possession of the unregistered, un-taxed automatic rifle. Unfortunately, the ATF has proven time and time again that 'intent' means nothing, and the fact that it was non-functional also means nothing.

Let's remember this is the same organization that determined that a string is a machine gun. Logical, rational thought is not applicable:

ATF-shoestring-machine-gun-2004.jpg

Edited by Hacker

She might be able to get away with the fact that it was not in a condition that could be "readily restored to shoot" since someone would have to fix whatever they found broken in it and manufacture new ammunition or convert it to modern ammunition.

Looking at adding a .40 to my collection, specifically either a Sig P229 or a USP .40. Anyone have any recent experience with these two? Also looking at the Glock 22 and the XD if anyone has recent input on those.

I searched through the thread and found good info, just looking for something recent, and if anyone has a direct comparison of the Sig and USP.

Thanks

Sledy

Edited by sledy

Looking at adding a .40 to my collection, specifically either a Sig P229 or a USP .40. Anyone have any recent experience with these two? Also looking at the Glock 22 and the XD if anyone has recent input on those.

I searched through the thread and found good info, just looking for something recent, and if anyone has a direct comparison of the Sig and USP.

Thanks

Sledy

I have a USP 9 full size & Sig 226, so not .40 but still a comparison betwee full size offerings from each manufacturer. Both good weapons, so you won't have any QC issues but there are clear differences between the two and if I could only have one it would be the USP, no doubt. The HK has a much better trigger, it feels lighter and quicker. I found the HK factory sights superior to the night sights that came with my Sig, but have since bought trijicon sights for both, so no issues there. The slide release is harder to reach on the HK and awkaward to operate the first few times. I'm accustomed to it now, but it's a bit weird at first and an area where the Sig will feel more natural. I also bought my USP when HK was still doing that ridiculous proprietary rail on the bottom instead of standardizing it with pretty much everyone else in the industry, so attachments are more expensive. That said, if you buy a newer HK design like the P30L (which I'm looking at now, but haven't bought yet) the rails are standard. No issues with the Sig WRT rail interface.

Both are easy to take down. Both point and balance well, although the clear winner in feel and draw is the HK to me. The things that put the USP over the Sig IMO are the trigger, the weight and balance, I like having a safety over just a decode like the Sig, the factory sights and I also much prefer the mag release. The USP literally shoots the mags out and gives a very audible click when they are fully inserted. The Sig is fine, but nothing special.

Hope that comparison helps. Note that all things HK (like new mags) will be more expensive. Worth it in my book.