Gun Talk

VL-16

Other AR guru's...I am in the process of building the lightest non-SBR AR I possibly can.

I am looking for opinions on barrels. I want to get a 14.5 inch with a pinned flash suppressor.

I was also throwing around the idea of fluted or dimpled barrels. Lightest barrel I have found so far is 1lb 7oz (standard lightweight, not fluted or dimpled).

I don't remember where, but I do recall reading that there's not much weight to be saved through fluting/dimpling/grooving/etc., over a "pencil profile" AR barrel.

You may already know this, but BCM has an extended A2-style flash hider for just that purpose (the A2X). I have one pinned on my BCM 14.5 upper, and I really have to look closely at it to tell it's longer than a standard A2 FH. Whether it's the lightest choice for an extended muzzle device is up to you to research...

Thanks for the replies so far. Yea it WON'T be an SBR. I live in Illinois (fuckers).

Yea, I have seen that. Most of the flash hiders I am looking at will bring a 14.5" to 16" though.

I think the BCM pencil barrel has a front sight post though. I want to skip that hassle of chopping it off and just try and get one without the fixed post.

Additionally, BCM doesn't seem to mention the weights of their upper receiver groups anywhere.

You're not going to save that much weight if you cut the FSP. I would keep it, since it will give you more versatility if you ever want to put irons on it. I'm assuming you are going to keep standard M4 or MOE hand guards on it?

You're not going to save that much weight if you cut the FSP. I would keep it, since it will give you more versatility if you ever want to put irons on it. I'm assuming you are going to keep standard M4 or MOE hand guards on it?

I was going to do a Carbon FIber handguard (free float, which also wouldn't support a FSB)

Along the lines of this:

handguard.jpg

A chopped FSB will be solid, cheaper and fit just fine under any of the rails out there. I'd also look at the Troy/VTAC rails, the Centurian Arms line, the Daniel Defense MFR as they are all very nice and some of the lightest ones out there. Don't forget to look at how the rail attaches - if you get one that goes right on the barrel nut you can remove a few parts to cut down the overall weight. Look at DSG Arms as they give a good military discount on all their stuff along with Brownell's.

A quick question. Helodude mentioned the Ruger LC9 in a post a while back. Does anyone have experience with that gun? Does it shoot well? Would it make a good conceal carry gun (size wise)?

I don't own an LC9, but I have shot it several times. I personally don't like the way it feels/shoots (mainly the trigger), but that's not to say it's a bad firearm (I actually like the Ruger LCP for a pocket CCW). It also has a safety which is a no-no in a lot of eyes, especially when it comes to CCW.

Size wise it would make a good IWB firearm. Personally, I would go with a Kahr P9/PM9 (CW9/CM9 for the less expensive version) as IMO it feels and shoots better. The new S&W MP Shield might be right up your alley as well.

Are you only interested in a 9mm? Though I'm a .40 guy, I'm really considering buying a Kel Tec PF9--anybody shoot one?

A quick question. Helodude mentioned the Ruger LC9 in a post a while back. Does anyone have experience with that gun? Does it shoot well? Would it make a good conceal carry gun (size wise)?

I bought an LC9 about 4 months ago and love that gun. Now, putting it up against a Kahr, I'd take the Kahr because it feels a little more put together than the LC9, but that isn't to say the LC9 is a bad gun. I was looking for a sturdy, cheaper concealed carry weapon, and I definitely got that in the LC9. I've worn it multiple times with an IWB holster, in shorts and a t-shirt, with absolutely no problems.

Agreed with what HeloDude stated about the safety. However, it's right there next to your thumb if you want to have it on. To me, it doesn't make that much of a difference. I've practiced drawing and flipping safety off so many times that if I actually had to, I don't think I'd forget to turn off the safety but YMMV.

Anyone use a Springfield XD or XDM for a concealled carry weapon?

I see they now have a 3.8" XDm in .45ACP and it sounds interesting.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Have we met? I've been carrying a full-sized Springfield XD-45 Service (3") concealed for 5+ years without issue. It is my #1 "oh shit" firearm (as my cop buddy describes pistols).

I am anxiously awaiting the XD-S (single stack .45 with a 3.3" barrel that is only 1" width) to hit the stores...

gallery-left.jpg

gallery-right.jpg

gallery-top.jpg

I may give up a few of my 9mm and .380 Taurus pistols (PT111, PT709 and PT 738) to get one if it's as good as I've heard. I would prefer a .45 BUG, especially one made by Springfield Armory. That's no slight on Taurus, I've had nothing but great experiences with their products; but given a choice I would still prefer a Springfield product.

Cheers! M2

Bandwagon...

Smith & Wesson just introduced (12 Apr) a single stack M&P, dubbed the M&P Shield. .40 or 9mm with a 3" barrel and listing as .98" wide.

Me likey the trend - Walther PPS (am still saving for it), the Springfield from M2's post, now this M&P skinny.

Decisions, decisions...

(Oh, and finish establishing residency in my new state of Nebraska. Midwest, but strangely liberal-ish regarding gun laws.)

A chopped FSB will be solid, cheaper and fit just fine under any of the rails out there. I'd also look at the Troy/VTAC rails, the Centurian Arms line, the Daniel Defense MFR as they are all very nice and some of the lightest ones out there. Don't forget to look at how the rail attaches - if you get one that goes right on the barrel nut you can remove a few parts to cut down the overall weight. Look at DSG Arms as they give a good military discount on all their stuff along with Brownell's.

Centurion also advertises a .mil discount on their website. Run by a former SEAL. Beautiful product, with a large price tag and a long wait list (as of a few months ago, per the m4carbine.net forums).

I am anxiously awaiting the XD-S (single stack .45 with a 3.3" barrel that is only 1" width) to hit the stores...

Do want.

Have we met? I've been carrying a full-sized Springfield XD-45 Service (3") concealed for 5+ years without issue.

I may give up a few of my 9mm and .380 Taurus pistols (PT111, PT709 and PT 738) to get one if it's as good as I've heard. I would prefer a .45 BUG, especially one made by Springfield Armory. That's no slight on Taurus, I've had nothing but great experiences with their products; but given a choice I would still prefer a Springfield product.

Cheers! M2

1. Like my XD45 but too big to carry.

2. Will def buy the XD-S. Fingers-crossed the BX will carry it. I'm guessing in the $500 price range.

3. Even better when someone starts making extended mags for it.

(Oh, and finish establishing residency in my new state of Nebraska. Midwest, but strangely liberal-ish regarding gun laws.)

Douglas County sucks on gun laws. Check out NFOA (Nebraska Firearms Owners Association) for more info on NE gun laws.

Wow, I'm not an overly big fellow (6'2", 195 lbs) and usually conceal carry wearing shorts and a t-shirt; and I have no problems carrying my XD using a simple Uncle Mikes neoprene IWB holster.

Actually, I find carrying my smaller pistols (the aforementioned PT709, PT111 and PT 738) to be more difficult due to their smaller size. I've also found my 1911s to not be easy to conceal carry due to their heavier weight.

I am actually expecting the XD-S to be more in the $650 range simply due to the current prices of the XDm line. I wouldn't even bother with the BX as I've never found decent prices nor well-cared-for pistols at all the AAFES that I've been to that sell firearms. I will either order one online (I have a FFL bud who will do the transfer for free) or pick one up at a gun show if I find one at a good price (<$650).

As for this "trend," I believe Glock came out with a single-stack .45 ACP sub-compact with their G36 way back in 2000; but I don't think that particular pistol is as small as the new XD-S. The S&W Shield is nice and closer in size, but not available in .45 ACP so that's not an option.

Building such a small but usable .45 has been a real challenge for Springfield, and there was a lot of secrecy involved from what I have heard; but rumor is that it is a remarkable pistol and unbelievably manageable considering how small it is and the round it uses...

Cheers! M2

I had the G36 slimline for a while. It was ok, but it was still about the size of the Glock 26. I ended up selling to a buddy of mine so I could buy a 1911. The XDs looks appealing, and I'd like to handle and shoot it when it comes out.

But in the mean time....

I have a dilemma of which to buy, a new 12 ga shotgun or a lever action carbine. I'm in the market for a new firearm and can't make up my mind which to get. I already have a Remington 1187 12 ga, but have been considering a pump action. Anyone have any experience with a pistol caliber leveraction rifle (Marlin, Winchester, Rossi...)?

Edited by BamaPilot08

Anyone use a Springfield XD or XDM for a concealled carry weapon?

I see they now have a 3.8" XDm in .45ACP and it sounds interesting.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Just get a 1911 and be happy ....

I've also found my 1911s to not be easy to conceal carry due to their heavier weight.

A good belt is a must .... And they aren't THAT much heavier ....

Unless you are intimately familiar with the inner workings and are able to do your own armorer level maintenance (i.e. fitting parts like extractors) on a 1911, it is not an ideal choice. You have to be very dedicated to the platform. While I think it is an awesome pistol, most people are better served by an easier to maintain firearm like a Glock or M&P.

Unless you are intimately familiar with the inner workings and are able to do your own armorer level maintenance (i.e. fitting parts like extractors) on a 1911, it is not an ideal choice. You have to be very dedicated to the platform. While I think it is an awesome pistol, most people are better served by an easier to maintain firearm like a Glock or M&amp;P.

Bah!

The only Reason to have armorer level skills is if you are making mods.

A field strip is simple and all you'll need for 99.9% of cleaning and mx

You can be a beta tester for a design produced last week, or go with a platform that has been workin just fine for over a century.