Gun Talk

VL-16

I've looked at them, I was just curious if anyone had a target .22 that they really liked.

I know you stated bolt action but.... I have a ruger 10/22 with a match barrel and it will out shoot my Ruger 77/22 (chambered in .22 hornet). A 10/22 is a fine weapon for the money. I also have an old Winchester bolt action gov't issue match rifle that is .22 LR, and my 10/22 almost shoots as well as it does.

If you have to have a bolt rifle, than the Savage Mark II line is about the best for under 500 bucks and it is available with the accutrigger which is an awesome arrangement. I'm looking to get their 110BA in .338 lapua which is suitable for the splitting of many a zombie-wig..

Edited by bagasticks

Interesting. I guess I just overlooked the 10/22 as a gateway gun you give your 8 year old once the BB gun gets boring but they can't handle a full sized rifle yet. Never would have thought it could be very accurate, but that was a preconceived notion on my part.

I'm basically looking for a rifle that I can take to the range and shoot for a few hours without spending huge amounts on ammo. Additionally, I'm trying to get my better half into shooting. We used to watch biathlon when we were stationed in Europe, so I thought if I could convince her that the rifle was like the ones they shot, she'd be more interested. Maybe I'll have to take another look at the 10/22.

Thanks for the input.

I own two Ruger 10/22's, they both drive nails with the standard barrel. Some day when I have time, I want to build another with a bull barrel.

Fun to shoot, cheap ammo, rarely jams, extended magazines are cheap, great gateway gun.

I've got a 10/22 with a bull barrel and a Timney drop in trigger. It's a tack driver.

same setup i have, and with "subsonic" low velocity ammo it's nearly the same report as a pellet rifle, which makes me deadly to squirrels; they just start falling from trees and their buddies are like WTF?

That TC hotshot is a great gun too, but i'll caution you that peeps are about useless if you wanna take him hunting due to the unusability in low light. I'm guessing you could mount a little scope on it though.

same setup i have, and with "subsonic" low velocity ammo it's nearly the same report as a pellet rifle, which makes me deadly to squirrels; they just start falling from trees and their buddies are like WTF?

That TC hotshot is a great gun too, but i'll caution you that peeps are about useless if you wanna take him hunting due to the unusability in low light. I'm guessing you could mount a little scope on it though.

Does subsonic ammo cycle the action reliably? Only ever used it in revolvers.

Does subsonic ammo cycle the action reliably? Only ever used it in revolvers.

maybe 70%. . .sometimes a little help is required (fortunately squirrels aren't shooting back), you make a good point. A bro of mine has one of those walther .22 autos and works great with sub's.

I own two Ruger 10/22's, they both drive nails with the standard barrel. Some day when I have time, I want to build another with a bull barrel.

Fun to shoot, cheap ammo, rarely jams, extended magazines are cheap, great gateway gun.

I shot a buddy's 10/22 with the bull barrel and it was an amazing experience. The only downside is it's quite heavy. Not a problem for benchrest shooting, but not really ideal for carrying around in the woods plinking.

The Volquartsen action and trigger mod is pretty good, though if you're handy with tools and have the right equipment it's a fairly straightforward job to mod yourself. I did that work on my 10/22 stock action and trigger. The gun goes from good to great with a lighter trigger, less reset, and auto bolt. I highly reccomend the auto bolt mod.

You can also buy aftermarket loaders that make it quick and easy to load those 25 round mags in no time.

Odd coincidence, I'm picking up my first Ruger 10/22 tomorrow. A bud's selling one, standard model with a Weaver rail on it. In good shape and he's only asking $160 (well, he advertised $175 FTF, but he's giving me a deal). I'm looking forward to shooting it, I also have a 1954 Polish Lucznik Wz48 trainer which is a single-shot .22 Mosin-Nagant clone that I need to get out to the range...

Finally, after being boned on a deal for a SLR-101S a few months back (the seller sold it despite my telling him I'd buy it); good fortune has finally decided to shine upon me!

I've been on the hunt for a milled Bulgarian AK-47 for a while, and posted a few 'WTB' ads on various forums. One finally resulted in a hit, and up for sale was a great deal on a SLR-95 in AWB configuration...

SLR95-2.jpg

SLR95-1.jpg

What is most cool is that while this particular rifle was nearly 200 miles away from me, it turns out the seller lives in the same neighborhood as the in-laws of a Navy LT I work with, and the latter is going there this weekend! He's gonna 'gun-run' this for me (perfectly legal) and save me the trouble and expense of having it shipped!

My plans are to find some nice milled furniture that will work on it (it had one of the two tabs for the stock removed as a part of the AWB), I could put a new tab on but that would prevent me from being able to put the current thumbhole stock back on it if I ever desired to do so.

All in all I am pretty happy with this score! :rock:

Cheers! M2

. All in all I am pretty happy with this score! :rock: Cheers! M2

I can't wait for the day when the Russian Army sends you a note, on official letterhead, that says somthing like "Ok, you officially own more AK and AK deriviates than we do. Will you sell us parts?"

I can't wait for the day when the Russian Army sends you a note, on official letterhead, that says somthing like "Ok, you officially own more AK and AK deriviates than we do. Will you sell us parts?"

You'll notice the above scene is also my signature block...

2012-04-07_11-49-04_511.jpg

2012-04-07_11-49-11_989.jpg

Buddies range rack (with some of my guns thrown in). I need to make one of these ASAP. Comes in handy.

If you get plans for that, share them. I've been needing something like that for quite some time...