Gun Talk

VL-16

Typical Pommie.

I beg to differ. The "typical pom" would have said, "It is rather nice that you have your own farm, but, of course, it is not 'quite' up to health and safety standards."

"Innit?"

Having grown up on a farm, I couldn't wait to get the f' out of there.

As an ORF, I'm thinking it wasn't so bad. So...."2" on having your own farm.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Smith and Wesson MP 15-22?

Having a friendly debate with a co-worker who is dying to get one for his kid with all the bells and whistles, red-dot, every rail accessory imaginable, etc... Of course its his choice to make and maybe I'm overly traditional but my take is that kids should learn to shoot with a quality rifle, wood furniture and iron sights. I loved my Ruger 10-22 when I got it and it still holds a place of prominence in my own personal collection because it is the gun on which I learned to shoot.

His take is that all weapons are evolving to pistol grips, modern sights and Picatinny rails so its better for the kid to learn on the starter version of what he may be shooting in the future...

Any thoughts?

I bought and purchased one some months back; did a review in this thread.

Fine little rifle for those that like black rifles. I'm more old school and would tend toward the Ruger. But, pros and cons to both.

However, he should teach his kid to shoot with iron sights only before moving on to all the strap-on stuff (sts).

Having a friendly debate with a co-worker who is dying to get one for his kid with all the bells and whistles, red-dot, every rail accessory imaginable, etc... Of course its his choice to make and maybe I'm overly traditional but my take is that kids should learn to shoot with a quality rifle, wood furniture and iron sights. I loved my Ruger 10-22 when I got it and it still holds a place of prominence in my own personal collection because it is the gun on which I learned to shoot.

His take is that all weapons are evolving to pistol grips, modern sights and Picatinny rails so its better for the kid to learn on the starter version of what he may be shooting in the future...

Any thoughts?

I 100% agree. If you're going to teach someone to shoot, they need to learn the basics. You wouldn't put a new pilot in their MDS until they've gone through IFS, UPT, etc. It's a crawl, walk, run method. They will never reach their maximum potential if you start them on the whiz bang shit without first grasping the importance of basic shooting. If he is going to start his kid on RDS, scopes, and the like they will only be a crutch. If he learns proper technique/fundamentals and then adds the ancillary stuff later, he will be able to exploit them to a higher degree.

His argument is flawed, and his kid have zero skill with a firearm.

My one and only AR is a Colt 6920, but now I'm thinking about doing a build. I'm planning on going with a Spikes lower and a DD LPK, but I'm debating on the upper. I've been thinking about a PSA upper:http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-hammer-forged-m4a1-cmv-upper.html. Have any of you on here have first hand experience with PSA? Based on what I've been reading they make some pretty good stuff and are building a name for themselves. Thoughts? I'm trying to avoid breaking the bank on this one, and I figured I can buy a few parts at a time so the wife won't get too pissed.

Edited by Mi Scusi!

I have no personal experience with PSA, but I haven't heard anything bad about them either. The specs they list for the upper you linked are what someone looking for their first rifle should have. The Spike's lower and the DD LPK are fine choices. You can make a great AR-15 by doing your homework and choosing the components that fit your needs. See JarheadBoom's posts on the previous page about his recent build. Is there a reason why you want to do a build?

The Colt 6920 you have is built to the same exact standards as the Colt M4 with the only differences being that the M4 has burst/auto (depending on the variant) and the M4 has a 14.5" barrel where the 6920 has a 16" barrel. The 6920 is the standard by which all other AR-15s are judged. Many fall short, and few meet or exceed what that 6920 brings to the table. If you're just looking for another AR, buy a known quality weapon built right: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920MP, http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920, or http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

My one and only AR is a Colt 6920, but now I'm thinking about doing a build. I'm planning on going with a Spikes lower and a DD LPK, but I'm debating on the upper. I've been thinking about a PSA upper:http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-hammer-forged-m4a1-cmv-upper.html. Have any of you on here have first hand experience with PSA? Based on what I've been reading they make some pretty good stuff and are building a name for themselves. Thoughts? I'm trying to avoid breaking the bank on this one, and I figured I can buy a few parts at a time so the wife won't get too pissed.

You already own the standard by which ARs are judged. Are you just looking for a new project?

Is there a reason why you want to do a build?

Are you just looking for a new project?

Honestly, I'm just looking for a new project. I purchased the 6920MP that Timbonez listed that already had the Magpul furniture. I thought that would be it and wouldn't want to do anything additional to it. But then came the Eotech. Then I swapped the MOE grips for a DD Omega rail and just added a LaRue UDE kit. So now I have some spare furniture laying around. I figured, what the hell, might as well build one and let the spare parts get some use. That way I can give the build to my wife as a present, thrilled as she was by that idea...

14xj6kj.jpg

Edited by Mi Scusi!

I figured, what the hell, might as well build one and let the spare parts get some use. That way I can give the build to my wife as a present, thrilled as she was by that idea...

I bought 2 lowers, thinking that I'd build "his n' hers" AR's.

She's not interested...

edit: spelin

Edited by JarheadBoom

Honestly, I'm just looking for a new project. I purchased the 6920MP that Timbonez listed that already had the Magpul furniture. I thought that would be it and wouldn't want to do anything additional to it. But then came the Eotech. Then I swapped the MOE grips for a DD Omega rail and just added a LaRue UDE kit. So now I have some spare furniture laying around. I figured, what the hell, might as well build one and let the spare parts get some use. That way I can give the build to my wife as a present, thrilled as she was by that idea...

Hey, nothing wrong with new projects. I bought 5 PSA lowers for $50 each. They go on sale pretty often and I've heard no complaints about them. As long as it's in spec a lower is a lower.

Any interest in a different caliber? I'm putting together a 6.8 with an upper from AR Performance.

Hey, nothing wrong with new projects. I bought 5 PSA lowers for $50 each. They go on sale pretty often and I've heard no complaints about them. As long as it's in spec a lower is a lower.

Any interest in a different caliber? I'm putting together a 6.8 with an upper from AR Performance.

You know, I've thought about it; but I've got about 2K of 5.56 and counting and figured one more 5.56 rifle couldn't hurt. Especially when the zombie apocalypse comes...bwahaha. :M16a2: Who knows, maybe I'll go for an SBR build instead. But then again at that point the budget will probably go out the window. Decisions, decisions....

You know, I've thought about it; but I've got about 2K of 5.56 and counting and figured one more 5.56 rifle couldn't hurt. Especially when the zombie apocalypse comes...bwahaha. :M16a2: Who knows, maybe I'll go for an SBR build instead. But then again at that point the budget will probably go out the window. Decisions, decisions....

I was going to suggest SBR but you mentioned budget. That's the plan for one of my other lowers. Have you looked at BCM uppers?

Must be nice to live somewhere that the Chief Law Enforcement Officer signs off on Form 1s...the Bexar County Sherriff will not! :pissed:

That sounds like an issue that needs some sunshine. I got my CCW card in Bexar county....What gives?

I was going to suggest SBR but you mentioned budget. That's the plan for one of my other lowers. Have you looked at BCM uppers?

As a matter of fact, yes. I'm liking this one: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm. Also looking at their BCGs. I've read nothing but good things about BCM. I would end up paying about a few hundred more if I went this route though rather than going with a PSA upper since PSA's BCGs are about half the price of a BCM BCG.

Any thoughts?

I love my MP 15-22! Great gun to take out on the range, practice fundamentals, and just a great gun to have fun plinking--and what's best--it's cheap as hell to shoot.

IMO, there's no need for a kid to have any special optics on his 22. Teaching the fundamentals just don't require them, besides, he'd be better off getting his son another 22 (pistol) and work on those fundamentals as well.

Speaking of .22 pistols, check out this new guy I just bought! Been eying one of these for the past 2-3 months and finally saw a good price and bought one today--should be delivered next week to my FFL. I'm definitely a S&W fan and this will allow me to work on drills at a much cheaper cost. Plus when I take a new chick out to the range, it will be easier for her shoot than one of my .40's.

post-2274-0-79950900-1326589529_thumb.jp

That sounds like an issue that needs some sunshine. I got my CCW card in Bexar county....What gives?

CHLs are no problem, nor are 03 FFLs; but to get a Form 1 approved by the ATF to build a SBR or an AOW, you need a chief LEO to sign off on it, to which the current Bexar County sheriff--Amadeo Ortiz--refuses to do. And since I live outside the SA city limits, that is my only option as an individual.

However, there is a work-around by establishing a legal trust, but that's an additional $350 to establish plus the $200 tax stamp on top of that for every weapon built, and it's not really worth the trouble unless I was planning on building numerous NFA Class II firearms...

But there is an election this year, maybe we'll get lucky and replace Ortiz with someone who actually respects the Second Amendment!