Gun Talk

VL-16

M2 Curious what is was like when you carried that in the war?

CH

Nice one; but remember that there are only a few of us on here that are older than you! :flipoff:

Cheers! M2

Well played sir! My most humble apologies!

:beer:

Naw, it wasn't. Mine was a pretty weak response actually, but I appreciate the kind words! :salut:

I've just been in a grumpy-ass mood lately. It happens every year when the contract runs out of money and we get the Three Stooges routine from the government. It's nice that they feel they can fuck with us this much, it's not this isn't our livelihoods or that we’ve haven't got families to feed or anything...

My attitude was the reason I changed my avatar to Yossarian, some days working in this organization (which will remain nameless to protect the guilty) is just like Heller’s book! Hell, even the euphoric high I had from finding these two great deals has worn off, and now I am back to my grumpy-ass self.

Geez, I need a beer! Or better yet, a trip to Germany to get a real beer! :beer::rock:

Cheers! M2

Redirect from the Glock 19 thread...

I'm not a gun guy but I heard the Sig P228 was possibly coming down the pipe for aircrew as the M11...anyone shot it/carried it yet?

Re-attack. Has anyone been issued a M11 yet? If so, what'd you think of it, especially compared to the M9? I'd much rather carry a Sig P228 than a Beretta 92F!

Additionally, I've heard the Germans are selling a railed version of the M11 to the US military (essentially a P228R). That's a smart move. Anyone seen one?

Cheers! M2

Re-attack. Has anyone been issued a M11 yet? If so, what'd you think of it, especially compared to the M9? I'd much rather carry a Sig P228 than a Beretta 92F!

Additionally, I've heard the Germans are selling a railed version of the M11 to the US military (essentially a P228R). That's a smart move. Anyone seen one?

Cheers! M2

In late 2008/2009, SIG Arms imported a limited quantity of German made P228 pistols, but with the more modern P229 railed frame (basically, a P228R). These are said to be US military contract overrun weapons and many have frames marked "US" and "M11" (though these markings are visible, they are etched over for sale to civilians) although no railed M11s are in service with the United States military.

I haven't see one personally. Will let you know if I do.

Update on my recent search for a .22 pistola. I went to the big gun store up here in Tacoma intent on purchasing a Sig Mosquito. I ended up buying a P226 that is chambered in .22. It's basically the P226 with the .22 conversion installed. The awesome part is that it only cost me $500 and it is coming with a coupon from Sig to buy either the 9mm or .40 kit for only $399. It basically will work out to getting the .22 conversion kit for free, since I will only end up spending around $900 for both the .40 and .22 barrels/slides whereas a full up P266 costs about that much already plus the additional cost of the .22 kit (~$300-$400). So, for those of you who are in the market for a new hand gun check out this deal from Sig. You can either get the 226 or 220 chambered for .22 and then buy the full size barrel, etc. directly from Sig. I'm not sure how long this offer will last.

Cheers!

Cheers! M2

The P228 is no longer made; it's been replaced by the P229 (essentially the same) which comes standard with the rail. The mil never procured these weapons as all M11s are P228s. I'd still prefer the M9 as it's 15+1 over 13+1, and size is not an issue (sts) when carrying for the government. That being said, if they issued P220s or 1911s I'd prefer those.

EDIT: Did not see Vertigo's response.

Edited by Timbonez

I'd still prefer the M9 as it's 15+1 over 13+1, and size is not an issue (sts) when carrying for the government

For those of us who are required by MDS Vol3 to carry concealed, something a little smaller would be nice.

NOTE: I am not suggesting we buy a smaller service pistol based solely on the needs of a couple USAF aircrew communities...

For those of us who are required by MDS Vol3 to carry concealed, something a little smaller would be nice.

NOTE: I am not suggesting we buy a smaller service pistol based solely on the needs of a couple USAF aircrew communities...

Guess I didn't think about that one.

News flash for those living in Oregon. The department of precrime has been activated. M2, if you ever move there, you're in for a world of hurt. Linky

Police act swiftly after gun purchases

ODOT worker who'd been put on leave is mentally evaluated after buying handguns, AK-47

Concerns about an Oregon Department of Transportation employee who purchased several guns after being placed on leave prompted law enforcement across Southern Oregon to step in.

Negotiators and a SWAT team from Medford police safely took a man — whose name wasn't released — into protective custody Monday morning in the 500 block of Effie Street, Medford police said in a news release.

Man, guns held by police spur controversyODOT worker wants guns; police say they'll comply

He was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center for a mental-health evaluation.

The man recently had been placed on administrative leave from his job and was "very disgruntled," the news release said.

ODOT Communications Director Patrick Cooney said there were administrative, personnel matters involved that limited what the department could discuss.

However, the state agency had reported concerns about the man to law enforcement agencies, who started monitoring him, officials said.

"We had concerning information regarding a personnel issue and were watching the subject," Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters said.

In two days, the man bought a Heckler & Koch .45-caliber universal self-loading handgun, a Walther .380-caliber handgun and an AK-47 assault rifle, Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen said. All of those firearms were purchased legally, with required record checks by the Oregon State Police.

Authorities were "extremely concerned" that the man may have been planning to retaliate against his employers, the news release said.

"Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach," OSP Sgt. Jeff Proulx said.

Douglas and Jackson County sheriff's departments, OSP officers based in both counties and police in Medford and Roseburg collaborated, he said.

Medford police watched the man's home overnight, starting at about 9 p.m. Sunday, Hansen said.

Because he was known to have weapons, police wanted to defuse the situation and ensure the man wasn't a danger to himself or others before the neighborhood awakened and people started their daily activities, Hansen said.

Medford's hostage negotiators and SWAT team were called in at 3 a.m. Monday and arrived on the scene at about 5:45 a.m., he said.

About a dozen officers responded. They closed the street for about an hour and evacuated three homes to protect neighbors and prevent bystanders from gathering, he said.

After a phone conversation with negotiators, the man — who was alone in the home — agreed to come out, Hansen said.

Police seized the recently purchased firearms, as well as another .45-caliber Heckler & Koch handgun and a 12-gauge shotgun. Police are holding the weapons for safekeeping, but no criminal charges have been filed.

Reach reporter Anita Burke at 541-776-4485, or e-mail aburke@mailtribune.com.

edited to add emphasis

Edited by HU&W

I've visited Oregon, it's a nice place but it's turning into the next California so there is no chance I'll ever end up there...

Hell, here in Texas people would be concerned if someone didn't like guns! :nob::bash::gun:

The P228 is no longer made; it's been replaced by the P229 (essentially the same) which comes standard with the rail. The mil never procured these weapons as all M11s are P228s. I'd still prefer the M9 as it's 15+1 over 13+1, and size is not an issue (sts) when carrying for the government. That being said, if they issued P220s or 1911s I'd prefer those.

EDIT: Did not see Vertigo's response.

You can get 15 round mags for the M11 so in doing so you get the same 15+1 as the M9 but in a more compact package which is nicer for concealed if you are required to do that. The larger mags don't stick out any more or change the dimensions of the weapon at all, they look identical to the 13 rounders on the outside. Good gun IMHO, like shooting it.

You can get 15 round mags for the M11 so in doing so you get the same 15+1 as the M9 but in a more compact package which is nicer for concealed if you are required to do that. The larger mags don't stick out any more or change the dimensions of the weapon at all, they look identical to the 13 rounders on the outside. Good gun IMHO, like shooting it.

You're probably talking about Mec-Gar magazines. Point is it was designed as a 13rd magazine and then they changed the follower/spring to fit 2 extra cartridges. On a related note SIG just came out with their E2 (enhanced ergonomics) P226 and P229. The P229 9mm version uses their .40 S&W frame which allows for 15 round magazines that were designed for it. I was thinking about getting the wife one since she has trouble holding my Beretta.

SIG P226 E2

SIG P229 E2

I got bored yesterday so I took a picture of my 1911s. I technically have 7, but two of them are being built by Nighthawk Custom (a Talon II and an Enforcer).

Smith & Wesson 1911, Colt Special Combat Government Carry, Nighthawk Custom Talon IV, Colt Series 70, and Colt Combat Commander.

the_enforcer.jpg

I got OD green gator grips for my Enforcer

nh-talontwo_1_xl.jpg

The frame on my Talon II is a titanium blue w/black controls and slide

News flash for those living in Oregon. The department of precrime has been activated. M2, if you ever move there, you're in for a world of hurt. Linky

So it's bad when people see warning signs and ignore them (Ft Hood comes to mind) and bad when people see warning signs and do something about it? It would be one thing if they arrested the guy or just seized his weapons for no reason... but they didn't do that, they took him to get a mental health examination.

Much rather have this guy get looked at then risk him going into work and shooting up 30 of his co-workers.

If a muslim man had been making statements about how he hates the fact that American soldiers are in Arab lands suddenly starts buying ammonia nitrate... would you not expect law enforcement agencies to look at this guy?

Edited by Vertigo
  • Downvote 2

You're probably talking about Mec-Gar magazines. Point is it was designed as a 13rd magazine and then they changed the follower/spring to fit 2 extra cartridges. On a related note SIG just came out with their E2 (enhanced ergonomics) P226 and P229. The P229 9mm version uses their .40 S&W frame which allows for 15 round magazines that were designed for it. I was thinking about getting the wife one since she has trouble holding my Beretta

My wife has small hands and can't get a comfortable grip on my XD45 thanks to the doublestack mag. However she loves my Sig P229 in .40S&W. The heaviness of the frame dampens the snap in the .40's recoil, so she doesn't complain about that either. Overall, the Sig P229 is just an outstanding gun.

But to keep M2 from tracking me down and kicking my ass, I still like my XD better!

My wife has small hands and can't get a comfortable grip on my XD45 thanks to the doublestack mag. However she loves my Sig P229 in .40S&W. The heaviness of the frame dampens the snap in the .40's recoil, so she doesn't complain about that either. Overall, the Sig P229 is just an outstanding gun.

But to keep M2 from tracking me down and kicking my ass, I still like my XD better!

M2, thanks a lot. The Combat Commander is going to my dad as he gave me the slide assembly while I bought the frame and frame parts. I had a smith fit the parts that I couldn't, and I just thought I'd give it back to my dad. I'm thinking about selling the Series 70 Colt, but my wife thinks I should have 7 1911s because it's a lucky number. That means I'll have to buy a new one to replace the Combat Commander.

Schokie, I totally agree that the SIG P229 is a fine firearm. I have a SIG P220 carry and I love it; it's one of the pistols in my rotation for carry.

So it's bad when people see warning signs and ignore them (Ft Hood comes to mind) and bad when people see warning signs and do something about it? It would be one thing if they arrested the guy or just seized his weapons for no reason... but they didn't do that, they took him to get a mental health examination.

Much rather have this guy get looked at then risk him going into work and shooting up 30 of his co-workers.

If a muslim man had been making statements about how he hates the fact that American soldiers are in Arab lands suddenly starts buying ammonia nitrate... would you not expect law enforcement agencies to look at this guy?

So to stir the pot you decided to put your ACLU card away for a few hours...

Let me get this straight, by your new definition, legally purchasing weapons is now probable cause to;

1. Send SWAT to your home.

2. Seize your weapons.

3. Force you to undergo a mental evaluation.

4. Keep your weapons even after you are released.

Your analogy is a Red Hearing, of course I would expect the authorities to "look at this guy", but in accordance with the law, I would expect an investigation and common sense. If we were to send SWAT to his house and take him away for questions, morons like you would be screaming about his Miranda rights. Let me guess, according to you, the Constitution only applies to terrorists.

For the love of god, leave this forum. All you do is throw shit, and despite your posts, I don't think you are a monkey.

So to stir the pot you decided to put your ACLU card away for a few hours...

Let me get this straight, by your new definition, legally purchasing weapons is now probable cause to;

1. Send SWAT to your home.

2. Seize your weapons.

3. Force you to undergo a mental evaluation.

4. Keep your weapons even after you are released.

Your analogy is a Red Hearing, of course I would expect the authorities to "look at this guy", but in accordance with the law, I would expect an investigation and common sense. If we were to send SWAT to his house and take him away for questions, morons like you would be screaming about his Miranda rights. Let me guess, according to you, the Constitution only applies to terrorists.

For the love of god, leave this forum. All you do is throw shit, and despite your posts, I don't think you are a monkey.

I would think that if SWAT responded then someone in the Police department did some investigating and decided that sending the SWAT team would be a safe, appropriate response.

If the mental evalution turned up nothing then I'm sure the person will be getting his guns back. I think it's a little early to tell what came out of the evaluation and we may never hear anymore on this.

Looks like FN has a .mil discount going on:

• $100 back on a new FNX pistol in 9mm or 40 S&W

• $125 back on a new FNP-45 pistol in 45 ACP

• $200 back on a new Five-seveN® pistol

• $100 back on a new SLP shotgun

• $250 back on a new FNAR rifle

• $300 back on a new FS2000 carbine

• $150 back on a new PS90 carbine

• $100 back on a new TSR XP USA bolt-action rifle

Too bad the SCAR isn't on there - the local shop has two that are looking real good. My money is stashed for the LMT MWS in .308 when it is available...

BF

DSP FNUSA 3-23-10.pdf

Looks like FN has a .mil discount going on:

• $100 back on a new FNX pistol in 9mm or 40 S&W

• $125 back on a new FNP-45 pistol in 45 ACP

• $200 back on a new Five-seveN® pistol

• $100 back on a new SLP shotgun

• $250 back on a new FNAR rifle

• $300 back on a new FS2000 carbine

• $150 back on a new PS90 carbine

• $100 back on a new TSR XP USA bolt-action rifle

Too bad the SCAR isn't on there - the local shop has two that are looking real good. My money is stashed for the LMT MWS in .308 when it is available...

BF

Those are some pretty good deals on FN products. The SCAR is overrated and overpriced, IMO. The LMT MWS looks pretty awesome.