Gun Talk

VL-16

All of these shootings are not helping our side at all. Of course we cannot predict what a man who just got laid off, let the foil hat fall off, or catches his wife with another man is going to do. One day they are responsible gun owners and the next they are killing indiscriminately. It will only get worse as the economy and unemployment continue to tank.

I think you hit it on the head - the economy drives some of these things...

I've always thought a universal license for guns would be one way to go - you get one license and you are now allowed to own whatever you want and can carry concealed nationwide. That being said, it opens up the whole licensing issue - it would then depend on someone's interruption of the laws and if they want you to really own them. There are some who think the government has no idea what you have or where you live but that information is out there - as the SERE guy kept saying in our HRC class today... But licensing is the prelude to other more sinister things...

If you want a good book to read about being prepared here's one: "Equal or Greater Force" by Kit Cessna. Former Delta Force guy turned Louisiana sheriff - lots of real world examples and some experiences from Katrina. I think it is a great book to convince others that the world is not as safe as it always appears.

BF

I think you hit it on the head - the economy drives some of these things...

I've always thought a universal license for guns would be one way to go - you get one license and you are now allowed to own whatever you want and can carry concealed nationwide. That being said, it opens up the whole licensing issue - it would then depend on someone's interruption of the laws and if they want you to really own them. There are some who think the government has no idea what you have or where you live but that information is out there - as the SERE guy kept saying in our HRC class today... But licensing is the prelude to other more sinister things...

If you want a good book to read about being prepared here's one: "Equal or Greater Force" by Kit Cessna. Former Delta Force guy turned Louisiana sheriff - lots of real world examples and some experiences from Katrina. I think it is a great book to convince others that the world is not as safe as it always appears.

BF

All valid points; as long as we remember to draw the distinct line between licensing and registering.

Most of us here have concealed carry permits or are in the unfortunate circumstance of being a resident of a place that requires a license just to own. Registering them however; is a far different story. Granted; they could figure out what you have if they wanted to; but with the amount of effort it requires without registering them; they won't do it unless they have to.

You're note about "being prepared" though, brings up a point I've been curious about. Anyone hear have their own personal bug-out bag? In case of emergency, natural disaster, etc? What do you keep in it?

You're note about "being prepared" though, brings up a point I've been curious about. Anyone hear have their own personal bug-out bag? In case of emergency, natural disaster, etc? What do you keep in it?

Go over to XDtalk.com and I swear there is at least 2 threads every month about this with a ton of good info in there.

I think I'm going to buy something from this guy just because of the commercial.

And I think I'm going to watch your links; hoping they are half as good as your avatar.

Guest Brewdog

Fairly far back in this thread, M2 linked a site "The Box O' Truth" that has a lesson about employing a shotgun in the home defense role. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu83.htm I noticed in the article the author talks about leaving the muzzle covering the downed intruder while scanning for additional threats. I was always under the impression that if you were clearing a room etc. the correct thing would be never to look where your weapon was not pointing with the reasoning being that if a bad guy sees you at the same time you see him, he can get the drop on you while you are bringing your weapon to bear. What's the right method? Is this just one of those things that comes down to personal opinon?

Where has been the biggest headache for people to PCS to with their arsenal? I would imagine getting sent to any of the CA bases would be a pain in the ass. I've been told you can fill out a form to get an exemption to some of their weapons bans if you're military and a non-CA resident. Anybody had any problems with other locations?

Just moved to AZ...do I have to register my already-owned guns with the local cops, state, etc. or does it not matter since I haven't purchased these in state and I'm not an AZ resident? I'm particularly interested in my Glock since I have a CCW and plan to use it.

Just moved to AZ...do I have to register my already-owned guns with the local cops, state, etc. or does it not matter since I haven't purchased these in state and I'm not an AZ resident? I'm particularly interested in my Glock since I have a CCW and plan to use it.

You have to comply with the state laws. I would start with the Arizona Department of Public Safety Concealed Weapons Permit Unit web site. Another good source is OpenCarry.org, but I would always double-check any information I get from a non-governmental web site. A good source for that is the Arizona Statues web site

With open carry, the laws in Arizona are different from Texas. In the Lone Star State, any resident can conceal carry in a vehicle (even without a CHL) thanks to our Castle Doctrine laws. In Arizona, concealed carry in a vehicle without a license can get you arrested.

And, of course, after typing all that I find a discussion on it here!

Good luck!

Cheers! M2

No, AZ doesn't require registration. This is for other than class 3 weapons.

Guest MegaPieBoy

I'm an Arizona resident with a CCW permit, and I'm like 95% sure that if you have a CCW permit from Texas that it will carry over in Arizona. There are like 20(give or take a few) other states whose CCW permits are recognized by Arizona. If you don't have an actual CCW(or if the Texas permit doesn't carry over), something to keep in mind is that it is legal in Arizona to carry around an unconcealed(and loaded) firearm without a permit anywhere but a bar or a government building; it is also legal to have a loaded firearm readily available to you in your car as long as it is in open view(this means in the dash board or in the passenger seat). I bought my first pistol as soon as I turned 21(in Arizona), and I just carried it around unconcealed for a few weeks until I got my CCW. A little technicality I found out about for Arizona is the gun is considered "unconcealed" as long any part of it is visible. I just put my t-shirt over the gun and left the bottom inch of the hand grip showing.

Edited by MegaPieBoy

From the horses mouth: Texas Reciprocity

Scroll down and you will find Arizona. You can even read the official statement by clicking on the state. It looks like it went into effect in 1999. Just be sure you are up to speed on Arizona's concealed carry laws, as you will be held to their standard while in that state. Happy carrying.

Edited by Timbonez

Actually I have a CO CCW (and I did check to make sure there was reciprocity in AZ). I was just wondering if there was some law requiring gun registration, since Colorado doesn't require it, but I know some states do. Thanks for the help guys.

Actually I have a CO CCW (and I did check to make sure there was reciprocity in AZ). I was just wondering if there was some law requiring gun registration, since Colorado doesn't require it, but I know some states do. Thanks for the help guys.

I guess I assumed you were coming from Texas because M2 mentioned Texas. Anyway, you can check online at both CO's and AZ's state websites about reciprocity and whatnot.

Of all places, the 9th circuit court of appeals incorporates the 2nd amendment

Interesting read to say the least.

To add:

We therefore conclude that the right to keep and bear

arms is “deeply rooted in this Nation’s history and tradition.”

Colonial revolutionaries, the Founders, and a host of commentators

and lawmakers living during the first one hundred

years of the Republic all insisted on the fundamental nature

of the right. It has long been regarded as the “true palladium

of liberty.” Colonists relied on it to assert and to win their

independence, and the victorious Union sought to prevent a

recalcitrant South from abridging it less than a century later.

The crucial role this deeply rooted right has played in our

birth and history compels us to recognize that it is indeed fundamental,

that it is necessary to the Anglo-American conception

of ordered liberty that we have inherited.17 We are

therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth

Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and

applies it against the states and local governments.

Edited by busdriver

So at what point do I have to turn a gun into SF if I am living in the dorms on base?

I am in the process of building an AR-15 (just ordered some parts). I DON'T have the lower receiver yet (the only part that is technically considered a weapon). But I will still need to finish building it at some point...thus having the lower receiver in my dorm room.

Figured I'd throw the question out here before potentially embarrassing myself to the SF A1C.

So at what point do I have to turn a gun into SF if I am living in the dorms on base?

I am in the process of building an AR-15 (just ordered some parts). I DON'T have the lower receiver yet (the only part that is technically considered a weapon). But I will still need to finish building it at some point...thus having the lower receiver in my dorm room.

Figured I'd throw the question out here before potentially embarrassing myself to the SF A1C.

According to the Fed...

DEFINITION OF "FIREARM": 18 USC § 921(a)(3), (4). Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will expel a projectile by means of an explosive or is designed or may be readily converted to do so. This includes the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any firearm muffler or silencer or any destructive device. A "destructive device" includes any explosive, incendiary or poison gas --- (i)bomb; (ii) grenade or (iii) similar device, or any combination of parts designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device, or from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. Does not include antique firearms. (Source)

Emphasis mine. It does not address functionality or parts, but it does explicitly state frame or receiver. I was always under the impression it was the receiver that made the distinction; but I would be absolutely, positively sure before I would go any further. Maybe the ATF web site might help. If not there, try the NRA's site.

But the big question is, if this happens, is what remains still a firearm?

fail.gif

Cheers! M2

I dunno what the AF has to say about it, but a Marine I worked with a long time ago got hammered for having an empty 1911 magazine in his car when coming through the gate at MCAS Tustin.

My thoughts:

- Check the AFI that governs the dorms (IIRC, the dorm manager has to have a hard copy of the AFI available for residents to view) to see if what constitutes a "weapon" is spelled out.

- If it's at all possible, DON'T GIVE YOUR GUN(S) TO SF! Find a friend you trust to keep it at their place in base housing, or off-base.

I dunno what the AF has to say about it, but a Marine I worked with a long time ago got hammered for having an empty 1911 magazine in his car when coming through the gate at MCAS Tustin.

My thoughts:

- Check the AFI that governs the dorms (IIRC, the dorm manager has to have a hard copy of the AFI available for residents to view) to see if what constitutes a "weapon" is spelled out.

- If it's at all possible, DON'T GIVE YOUR GUN(S) TO SF! Find a friend you trust to keep it at their place in base housing, or off-base.

Yea I really don't want to give it up, but I don't know a lot of people here yet. Especially any that are off base.

I figure if I give it to SF it will either have a trigger lock on it or will be missing some critical components...like the bolt. Preferably the trigger lock.

Stoleit...find someone. I've heard too many bad stories from friends who kept guns in the armory. Don't even bother removing the bolt...they have those and can easily put one in your gun (sts). Also, I don't know for sure, but I thought I heard something about not being able to have a trigger lock on your gun. It doesn't make sense, but then again it's the AF. I'm sure there is someone you can find by the time you have the gun built who either lives in base housing or off base.

Stoleit...find someone. I've heard too many bad stories from friends who kept guns in the armory. Don't even bother removing the bolt...they have those and can easily put one in your gun (sts). Also, I don't know for sure, but I thought I heard something about not being able to have a trigger lock on your gun. It doesn't make sense, but then again it's the AF. I'm sure there is someone you can find by the time you have the gun built who either lives in base housing or off base.

I stored my 12 guage @ Maxwell with a trigger lock (it was in a case but they knew I had one on). I would call to see if it's a base by base policy.

Edited by B*D*A

Guest MegaPieBoy

From what I read, it sounds like you can have guns if your living in base housing....and if my assumption is correct are there any specific rules you have to follow if you have firearms in base housing???

Do all Air Force bases have a set of standard rules regarding firearms, or do state laws have anything to do with it? I have a CCW in Arizona(I usually carry everywhere besides my college), and I'm going to Laughlin AFB in Texas where I know my CCW permit will transfer legally. If I'm driving off base, can I keep my carry piece on me, or am I supposed to keep it locked up and unloaded until I'm off base? Any knowledge or advice would be appreciated.