SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

We had guys getting tasked by home station while TDY to SOS...I can't imagine it will be any better when their leadership can actually harass them in person.

I've seen people expected to return home on weekends to do work (3 hour drive one way). IMO that should be an IG issue

Just what exactly are you talking about Willis?

Is there a Dear Boss reference in here somewhere that I missed or did you just need to get that off your chest?

He's talking about the "Dear SOS" letter several pages ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, yesterday Air Force AFPC briefing, AFPC admitted to royally dicking up the VSP / RIF process.

They underestimated how many pilots were going to apply, senior leaders best guess was nowhere near the actual. We all knew this was the case but to admit it... haven't heard it before.

Holy crap, yesterday Air Force AFPC briefing, AFPC admitted to royally dicking up the VSP / RIF process.

They underestimated how many pilots were going to apply, senior leaders best guess was nowhere near the actual. We all knew this was the case but to admit it... haven't heard it before.

more details pls.

She still didn't even answer my question though-- is the Air Force doing ANYTHING to prevent it from happening again? It sounded like AFPC was shocked that so many people wanted to get out from under a crushing ADSC. The reason that retention is high among junior pilots is because we have no choice! When shown the door it should be no surprise how many people ran for it. I'm not saying I'm trying to get out, but I saw a LOT of dudes ride that roller coaster.

Link?

No link, this was from a mass briefing at SOS by the Assignments O-6 from AFPC yesterday. Other gems:

1. Intel dude asked what was going to happen when the economy improved and retention dropped, thus causing an even larger exodus from intel. The answer was basically to rob peter to pay paul-- force crossflow people from other AFSCs to fill intel.

2. Coming soon: no more 3 day opt on ITDYs. You will go, and you will not have a say in the matter.

Overall it was a good brief, but it's shocking with what is going on with some of the personnel stuff.

Edited by Napoleon_Tanerite

2. Coming soon: no more 3 day opt on ITDYs. You will go, and you will not have a say in the matter.

Interesting. I'm not sure how that's even legal, but if the AF has the ability to screw someone, I'm sure they'll use it. As if I needed another reason to get out...

Coming soon: no more 3 day opt on ITDYs. You will go, and you will not have a say in the matter.

Interesting. I'm not sure how that's even legal, but if the AF has the ability to screw someone, I'm sure they'll use it. As if I needed another reason to get out...

Wait....what?

If someone has no service commitment remaining, what makes it any different if they just randomly wake up on a Tuesday morning and say, "I'm done" versus getting served with a 365 and saying, "I'm done"?

Wait....what?

If someone has no service commitment remaining, what makes it any different if they just randomly wake up on a Tuesday morning and say, "I'm done" versus getting served with a 365 and saying, "I'm done"?

Not sure I got my head wrapped completely around it, but it sounded like ITDYs were going to become more like a regular duty type thing, and once tasked you automatically incur the commitment. She said she goes through as many as 100 people to fill an ITDY sometimes due to people running for the hills.

Wait....what?

We probably should have seen it coming. First, the 7 day option turned into the 3 day option. A zero day non-option is an even more efficient reduction. I can see the OPR bullets now...

She said she goes through as many as 100 people to fill an ITDY sometimes due to people running for the hills.

So AFPC sees this happen on a regular basis and claims suprise at the number of people who tried to VSP? What's better is their solution is the zero-day, no-notice 365 ITDY. Unbelievable. Well, not unbelievable, but still dissapointing.

• Upvote 1

So AFPC sees this happen on a regular basis and claims suprise at the number of people who tried to VSP? What's better is their solution is the zero-day, no-notice 365 ITDY. Unbelievable. Well, not unbelievable, but still dissapointing.

Well, it'll get those 365's filled.

My favorite from that brief was when she said people don't want to be execs for generals because they are afraid it will "hurt their career" to be "out of their career field". I think we all understand that working directly for a guy with stars is a GREAT career move, it's just a miserable fucking job.

I personally know one. He's a major now at the end of his 3 year exec tour, so perhaps he was a major-select when he got the job.

You sure he's THE actual exec? Most 4-stars have an O-5 (lots are even O-6 select) as an exec. O-4s are generally the aide-de-camp or whipping boy deputy assistant exec.

Edited by Danny Noonin

Unfortunate. He obviously doesn't do this engagement for free. His speech is a giant insult to those who have served in combat, and is a tremendous waste of Air Force funds. I sat for an hour and a half with my ears plugged as he yelled a bunch of loosely related stories into the microphone. The worst part was when he received a standing ovation. I understand he has seen some hardships, but do a bunch of wartime CGO's need a Matt Foley-esque speech to "motivate" them at Shoe Flag? Apparently my extensive feedback to the leadership had zero impact (edit... not that I thought my feedback meant sh!t anyways).

Edited by FUSEPLUG
  • Upvote 1

Not sure I got my head wrapped completely around it, but it sounded like ITDYs were going to become more like a regular duty type thing, and once tasked you automatically incur the commitment.

When was the last time anybody got an ADSC without agreeing and signing for it?

• Upvote 1