Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

• 2 weeks later...

My first assignment was C-21s and I know that they offer an ATP practical as an add-on to the sim refreshers, but unfortunately I didn't have the hours to take the checkride back then.  Now that I'm looking to knock out my ATP before my written expires, I'm wondering if it's still a possibility to go back to simuflite to get a couple of hours in the LJ and take the check.  I've been out of the jet for several years, but I think it would be a preferable alternative to doing the check ride in a light twin which I have 0 experience.  Has anybody tried this?  Also, are there any current C-21 guys/gals on here who has any contact info for the simuflite instructors?  Is it still Jeff, Wayne, and G-Heart?  I'm curious as to what they charge per hour for their LJ sim...

23 hours ago, pcola said:

Is it still Jeff, Wayne, and G-Heart?  

Don't have contact info for you, but thanks for the trip down amnesia lane. First thing that popped into my head when reading your post was, "Welcome to G-Hart Country."Loved the plane, and the Simuflite dudes were awesome.

Is it still Jeff, Wayne, and G-Heart?  

Don't have contact info for you, but thanks for the trip down amnesia lane. First thing that popped into my head when reading your post was, "Welcome to G-Hart Country."Loved the plane, and the Simuflite dudes were awesome.

Yeah, G-Hart was/is an awesome instructor. Nearly a decade later and I still remember some of his lessons like yesterday and I try my best to pass them on to younger dudes when I can. In fact, I got myself into a shitty situation in an airplane last year, and in the heat of the moment, along with seeing my kids flash before my eyes, I vividly remembered G-Hart's mantra: "fly the fucking airplane, Lieutenant. Level the wings, point the nose, and get some smash!"

8 hours ago, pcola said:

Yeah, G-Hart was/is an awesome instructor. Nearly a decade later and I still remember some of his lessons like yesterday and I try my best to pass them on to younger dudes when I can. In fact, I got myself into a shitty situation in an airplane last year, and in the heat of the moment, along with seeing my kids flash before my eyes, I vividly remembered G-Hart's mantra: "fly the fucking airplane, Lieutenant. Level the wings, point the nose, and get some smash!"

Story time...

Throwing out a random idea here...

I am thinking about going to the local FBO, renting their twin for a few hours of instruction (aka practice practical / get familiar with aircraft) and then scheduling with the local ATPE.

From everything I've read, it seems this is pretty much the basis the places a lot of you are flying with albeit more focused (aka gouge and such).

Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, contraildash said:

I am thinking about going to the local FBO, renting their twin for a few hours of instruction (aka practice practical / get familiar with aircraft) and then scheduling with the local ATPE.

From everything I've read, it seems this is pretty much the basis the places a lot of you are flying with albeit more focused (aka gouge and such).

Thoughts?

It's a 7 million dollar career. Skimping out on $1000 for a potential checkride failure on every future airline app seems like a terrible idea.

• Upvote 2

Thoughts?

This is a bad idea.

• Upvote 1

Thoughts?

Risking putting a check ride failure on every airline app should be enough...but give it a go. Let us know how it turns out. You may do great. I spent less than $2K and it was money well spent. I could have and would have spent more. YMMV.

Meh, it was just a thought, kinda expected those replies. FWIW (and not to justify my random thought) I've flown as a co-pilot on an ATP check in a Lear. Honestly thought it was a fairly benign event. Even more so compared to checks I've had in the AF. Only reason I didn't do my ATP then was I had less than 1500 hours and the ATP-R wasn't in effect yet. Poor timing/luck.

...off to find somewhere with an opening...

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up doing mine with Cobra Kai.  Nothing but positive things to say about their whole program.  IPs are all retired fast jet guys, German, Italian, and Danish - all very experienced instructors that know how to teach and have the experience to get you ready, or to tell you if you need more time before busting a check ride.  They have 2 Barons available for training, but we only flew one because it never broke.  I met both examiners that they like to use, and both were really nice guys.  The guy that I checked with was very big picture.  We had to deal with some pretty shitty weather all week, and these guys flexed to get us all done, successfully.  Even with dealing with weather and modifying profiles to make it work, I walked away from my checkride feeling like I was over prepared (which I view as a good thing!)

All in all, it was a legit training program with a legit checkride at the end, and you will be prepped for success.  Highly recommended!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am admittedly a little late to the game here. I recently got back from an overseas assignment, extension will not apply to me, and have been searching for a quality place to get my ATP before the deadline. The only opening I could find is ATP Flight School in Richmond, I believe they are also known as allatp.  Not only do they have openings but they have a lot of openings.

My question is has anyone on here worked with them. A review of the Richmond facility would be ideal, but I would take advice from anyone who has attended any of the other ones. The fact that they have a lot of openings makes me think that maybe people are steering away from them. 

• Upvote 1

Just finished my ATP today at Tulsa Community College. Overall, it's a great program! Overall cost (including checkride) was $3k. This did not include the cost of hotel and food.

I studied the prep material one full weekend prior to showing up. The first day was an hour of admin queep followed by about 5 hours of academics. The second day was a Wx CNX for 40-50 knot winds. The third day was two flights, 2.4 and 1.7 hr sorties. The fourth day was the checkride; 30 mins admin, 1 hour of GK, a 1.9 hr sortie, then a debrief.  

TCC has a brand new building...it literally smelled like a new car walking in the front door. I would say "best seen to date" for a community college flight program with regard to their aircraft, student area, computer availability, overall newness and cleanliness. Their Seminole is 5 years old and hangared daily. The instructors are up to speed and know what to teach you to pass your ATP. I felt confident after my 2nd flight. 

The examiner is very pleasant and professional...unfortunately, booked for checkrides through July. 

MIL2ATP out in North Carolina was good. Finished a couple weeks ago. 3 flights, 3 sandbag sorties, and a checkride. All of their instructors are prior AF pilots. They have 2 senecas, and provide you with good gouge. Examiner was decent, as long as you weren't cocky. Had a short ground eval of about 10 min, spent more time going through admin than the ground eval. (I had a good written test score and no centerline thrust restriction, sounded like the normal eval is around 30 min). Checkride was a 1.4 sortie. Debrief consisted of a couple minor comments on the walk in, followed by getting my temporary certificate.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2016 at 5:00 PM, Brewster said:

I am admittedly a little late to the game here. I recently got back from an overseas assignment, extension will not apply to me, and have been searching for a quality place to get my ATP before the deadline. The only opening I could find is ATP Flight School in Richmond, I believe they are also known as allatp.  Not only do they have openings but they have a lot of openings.

My question is has anyone on here worked with them. A review of the Richmond facility would be ideal, but I would take advice from anyone who has attended any of the other ones. The fact that they have a lot of openings makes me think that maybe people are steering away from them. 

Two of my mil friends just went here and said it was cake. $3,500 total.