Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

VN 16-02 Track Select

This is the only 16-02 class in SUPT (ENJJPT doesn't count) Columbus and Laughlin got rolled to 16-03 because of the T-6 being grounded for a week.

T-38 x 6 (all active)

T-1 x 13 (6 Guard)

UH-1 x 2

VN 16-02 Track Select

This is the only 16-02 class in SUPT (ENJJPT doesn't count) Columbus and Laughlin got rolled to 16-03 because of the T-6 being grounded for a week.

T-38 x 6 (all active)

T-1 x 13 (6 Guard)

UH-1 x 2

is that the closest the T-1/T-38 drop ratio has been for some time? 6:7 AD

VN 16-02 Track Select

T-38 x 6 (all active)

T-1 x 13 (6 Guard)

UH-1 x 2

It was grounded for more than just after the engine out at doghouse or dogface or whatever you guys call the aux field up there.

It was grounded for more than just after the engine out at doghouse or dogface or whatever you guys call the aux field up there.

Maybe at your base, but that incident was the driving factor AETC-wide and the only reason at END.

• Upvote 1

Maybe at your base, but that incident was the driving factor AETC-wide and the only reason at END.

The way that dude posted makes it seem like the week long thing was the only contributing factor at DLF. I'm well aware that the same issue has not been discovered at the other bases.

Edited by the g-man

A lot of guys in my class 87-04 CBM washed out of 38's. Back then it was formation intensive. So if your going to a heavy unit and are offered the chance to fly the 38, it may sound like a great opportunity to some, but can also be a really bad decision if you wash out. Don't know the washout rate in T-1's but I have to presume it's lower than 38's. But What do I know I'm a dinosaur.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of guys in my class 87-04 CBM washed out of 38's. Back then it was formation intensive. So if your going to a heavy unit and are offered the chance to fly the 38, it may sound like a great opportunity to some, but can also be a really bad decision if you wash out. Don't know the washout rate in T-1's but I have to presume it's lower than 38's. But What do I know I'm a dinosaur.

T-1s: We would washout about 2/year -- usually only students who had trouble flying AND had bad attitudes. Student pilots that possessed a good attitude and at least borderline ability almost always graduated. I remember one or two that washed out, despite having the right attitude.

T-1s: We would washout about 2/year -- usually only students who had trouble flying AND had bad attitudes. Student pilots that possessed a good attitude and at least borderline ability almost always graduated.

"Johnny's not really safe in a T-1, but he has a good attitude, so let's just send him to a jet 30 times the size. I'm sure once his brain is filled with some mission knowledge, the basic flying stuff will get sorted."

Well ENJJPT 15-06 just proved your good students get good drops theory wrong. Although good kids, not the strongest class I have ever seen.

Here are some highlights, that I can remember:

F-22

T-38/F-22 follow on

F-15E

F-15E

F-15E

F-15C

F-16

A-10

A-10

T-38 FAIP

T-6 FAIP

B-2

C-17 Elmendorf

C-17 McChord

KC-10 McGuire

Internationals:

2 Italian EuroFighters

3 German EuroFighters

1 German Tornado

Only one guard guy who went F-16s

Edited by Duck

Sooooo why are currently a lot of communities' must-moves going 100% RPAs, and none are coming from UPT? Not even volunteers? Do you want bad retention? Because that's how you get bad retention.

Edited by fox two

The UPT direct UAV pipeline is about to open back up according to the CSAF.

Edited by Duck

Sooooo why are currently a lot of communities' must-moves going 100% RPAs, and none are coming from UPT? Not even volunteers? Do you want bad retention? Because that's how you get bad retention.

You get the bad retention not by sending people to RPAs, but by making them stay there. An unwanted assignment is acceptable, an unwanted AFSC is not.

You get the bad retention not by sending people to RPAs, but by making them stay there. An unwanted assignment is acceptable, an unwanted AFSC is not.

BS

The fighter to RPA is very close to being a one way door.

BS

I think we're in agreement. Had the Air Force treated RPAs as an ALFA tour from the beginning, they wouldn't have the retention problem they do now. The sooner Big Blue admits that it can't run this mission properly and hands it over to the Guard/Reserve and contractors the better off we will all be. And heavies to RPAs are very much a one way door right now as well. Edited by guineapigfury

BS

No, there was a correction for a while. Starting around 2013, unless you recatted or went to WIC, you got an assignment out of RPAs as an 11F. But like everyone else, I see big AF about to ignore its recent lessons learned.

Well ENJJPT 15-06 just proved your good students get good drops theory wrong. Although good kids, not the strongest class I have ever seen.

Here are some highlights, that I can remember:

F-22

T-38/F-22 follow on

F-15E

F-15E

F-15E

F-15C

F-16

A-10

A-10

T-38 FAIP

T-6 FAIP

C-17 Elmendorf

C-17 McChord

KC-10 McGuire

Internationals:

2 Italian EuroFighters

3 German EuroFighters

1 German Tornado

Only one guard guy who went F-16s

Wasn't there a B-2 dropped in this class as well?

It's pretty unnerving reading this thread. I'm very relieved that I went guard when I made the switch to the AF. Army flight school was stressful, and I managed to come out on top and get what I want, but at least I didn't have to worry about stuff like this!

The Army doesn't do very many things right with regards to aviation, but one of the things it nailed is the way it handles its UAS (RPA) program. The program always was, is, and always will be completely separate from regular flight school, and the operators are enlisted. That's not to say they let any old joe fly a Grey Eagle, they have high standards for applicants.

Here's the reality:

For an enlisted guy, flying a drone is cool, something to be proud of. If they get to do it, they feel accomplished and will likely continue to serve. No one goes to the Academy or puts all their life's time, money, and energy into getting into flight school to go RPA. This is a life commitment, we grew up our whole lives dreaming about flying and working hard to earn a career in the field. Say what you will about patriotic duty this, and just happy to serve your country's needs that; it's not ok to take someone who devoted their life to being able to fly, send them to flight school, and then pull the carpet out from underneath them and give them RPAs, even if it's only a temporary assignment.

Guinneapig fury, I agree with making the guard/reserve units that are already flying drones more active in order to fill gaps but if you are suggesting that more guard units be converted then of course I think you're wrong. We're basically a Total Force now and one of the only ways that the AF has been able to stop some of its best pilots from leaving is by letting them palace chase to guard units. The guard is more active than ever, and the AF cannot meet its mission requirements without the help.

As far as to how even just temporary assignments affect retention, someone did an interesting survey on the subject. Note the timing; about two years prior to the huge 11F shortage and bonus offerings:

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by xcraftllc
  • Upvote 3

Here's the reality:

For an enlisted guy, flying a drone is cool, something to be proud of. If they get to do it, they feel accomplished and will likely continue to serve. No one goes to the Academy or puts all their life's time, money, and energy into getting into flight school to go RPA. This is a life commitment, we grew up our whole lives dreaming about flying and working hard to earn a career in the field. Say what you what about patriotic duty this, and just happy to serve your country's needs that; it's not ok to take someone who devoted their life to being able to fly, send them to flight school, and then pull the carpet out from underneath them and give them RPAs, even if it's only a temporary assignment.

f***ing nailed it

• Upvote 1