Baseops Forums
Guest e3racing

Promotion and PRF Information

1 minute ago, FUSEPLUG said:

At the airlines you are a number. A well-compensated number, but still just a cog in the machine. 

That said, the mis-management you speak of is far less prevalent when maximizing a profit is your number one goal. Funny how that works. 

You are correct you are still a number for the airlines as well and well-compensated one as you said for your skill. Now only if we could change how we run this big machine to “maximize” the profits. Oh who am I kidding that will never happen.  It won’t change any time soon and by that point the death spiral we are end will be about to hit the ground. 

While we are on the topic, and getting some good mentorship on here....I'm writing my 1BPZ PRF.  I'm headed to IDE next summer....what's an appropriate push line for the PRF when you're heading to IDE?  "En route to IDE in-res....blah blah blah"?  Cheers.

While we are on the topic, and getting some good mentorship on here....I'm writing my 1BPZ PRF.  I'm headed to IDE next summer....what's an appropriate push line for the PRF when you're heading to IDE?  "En route to IDE in-res....blah blah blah"?  Cheers.

Can’t put that, in-res vs correspondence is masked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, ihtfp06 said:

Helpful.  Thanks! 

3 hours ago, panchbarnes said:

14N Guy, one of your earlier posts you mentioned that someone told you 14N Lts don't get stratted, that statement is just flat out wrong. 

When did I say that? I don’t know why I would say that; I’ve seen Lt’s get strats.

Solid post panch. Need to publish that to AFROTC dets and save a lot of folks a lot of time/anxiety.

Edited by 14N Guy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you are in IDE, they will know from your narrative only PRF and the fact that your current duty status is what it is.   None of that is masked

your SR is also allowed to put the following on his push line, “He pisses fire; Sq DO/CC after IDE; SDE; Joint Staff—Definitely Promote”

1 hour ago, ihtfp06 said:

Masked, but your training report and duty status aren't... So, not actually masked.

6 hours ago, 14N Guy said:

When did I say that? I don’t know why I would say that; I’ve seen Lt’s get strats.

My bad...My mind is playin' tricks on me...

On 10/6/2018 at 6:55 PM, 17D_guy said:

Wow.  That sucks dude.  I remember sitting bitch queep work at wing CAG and reviewing the incoming 14N Lt/Jr Capt OPR's with no strats and discussing forcefully with the Sq/CC's they needed to get the good people numbers.  Never got that done.  I've talked with a few 14N Lt Col's afterwards and they all said no one gets strats at that level.

I still don't understand it.

Here is what we were mis-reading/attributing to 14n

13 hours ago, panchbarnes said:

For the mission hackers, from day 1, be the best at your job, be a good bro/wingman, do what's "right", enjoy/take advantage of the military career, be a good parent and spouse, check the required boxes as you see fit.  Promotion past O-4 will be a crapshoot for you, a lot can change but you'll be stressed out and fight to be in the top 50% of your peers for many years (if you want to fight for it).

Not disagreeing with the overall content/message of your post, but that said I've seen many solid "mission hacking"/never-worn-a-knee-pad dudes have a decent career and command a squadron and a few gone to OG+. It absolutely can be done. You may face an uphill battle if you stay mission focused, but doing so does not inherently close doors. My recommendation to any young guy is put mission first at work, don't neglect your family, and overall just do the right thing. It'll all work out...maybe you become a CC, maybe you fly for Delta after 11 years, maybe you do both in the ARC...it'll all be good no matter how it works out. As soon as you start prioritizing the rat race and neglecting the mission and your family, you're losing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

3 hours ago, bennynova said:

Here is what we were mis-reading/attributing to 14n

I've gotten that feedback from 2 "HPO" 14N Lt Col's, but it might have just been in my corner of the AF.

If you're in the CAF "hacking the mission" is your job. Show up, study, listen to briefs, fly, learn from your mistakes, fly, learn from other peoples mistakes, fly, learn how to schedule, build a LOX, go to the sim and practice, know how to put your gas mask on and when, fly, study some more, make popcorn, fly, go TDY, don't repeatedly be a nitz, fly, and do the right thing."

If you focus on those things for 10+ years, and you decide that you want to keep doing what you're doing and lead people like you were lead as an O-1, you will have an opportunity to lead as an O-5. You won't have to fight to be in the top 50%, and promotion won't be a crap shoot. It is just not like that in the CAF.

If you don't want to lead as an O-5, or you decide you want to be on the extra 5 year plan and still lead, you will have lots of opportunities to do that in the Guard and Reserve. You can keep doing what you did for the last 10+ years, albeit in a slightly different but mostly the same capacity. 

I've almost never seen a CAF pilot fight to be an exec or want to do anything other than fly and be in the squadron.There are always outliers, but it is way outside of the norm. There is no careerist path. There is only one path as an O-1, do your job well, take care of your family, and the rest takes care of itself. You will have options at the end of your commitment no matter what. 

Edited by BeerMan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Does anyone have direct experience or knowledge with turning down continuation when you’re passed over twice? 

Ive read through 36-2501 and 36-3207. Also read through recent continuation paperwork a friend received and in there it spells out that if you decline continuation you’ll separate 6 months after the board results were approved. What I’m trying to figure out is what (if any) ADSC could keep you in at that point. His paperwork mentioned an ADSC for some kind of medical training, which doesn’t apply, then goes on to talk specifically about ACP (the bonus). It says they’ll recoup any unused portion that you took and haven’t served out, which makes sense. I’m just trying to figure out if there’s any other kind of ADSC that could keep you in at that point. Apparently you’ll owe some bonus $$ back, potentially a lot if you took a lump sum, or just a prorated amount for the year, assuming you’re only taking annual installments.  So say you took the 20 year aviation service bonus w/ no lump sum, just annual payments, they would release you from the 20 years and you’d then just owe a prorated amount for that year of your separation. Does that check?  

Does anyone know if there’s any other ADSC that could still keep you around?  i.e. for a PCS, training, etc. 

I tried to call AFPC today but no luck yet. If I’m reading this right it sounds like if you refuse continuance it’s kind of a get out of jail (almost free) card for any ADSC you have at that point. 

Other thoughts or experience is greatly appreciated 

It does seem to be a get out of jail free card

Duck should be familiar

i didn’t think it was possible, but the Air Force surprises me with their ability to fail at something else, yet again.

I did it last year. Declining continuation overrides branch ADSCs. 

You'll fill out some paperwork saying you decline, and a DOS is established 6 month later. It's pretty rad.

19 minutes ago, xaarman said:

I did it last year. Declining continuation overrides branch ADSCs. 

You'll fill out some paperwork saying you decline, and a DOS is established 6 month later. It's pretty rad.

Branch ADSCs? 

I declined continuation in 2016.  I separated one month later, so there is some flexibility on DOS.  If you're looking to get out fast, follow up with your MPF to make sure that they are processing you correctly as an involuntary separation.  These go much faster.  Voluntary separations for officers have to go to the SECAF and through associated wickets along the way.  The approval authority for involuntary separations for officers is some random E-5 at AFPC.

11 hours ago, Klepto said:

New Ned Stark article. Argues against strats and forced distribution.

However, word is AF wants to move to an Army system of top/middle/bottom third check boxes.

https://warontherocks.com/2018/11/and-miles-to-go-before-i-sleep-the-air-forces-stratification-problem

I’ve heard this as well. Also heard 2-line PRFs as early as the March 19 (I think?) O-5 board and AFSC promo boards starting CY20.

• Thanks 1