Guest navobd

Promotion and PRF Information

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, BADFNZ said:

Checked MyPers today and it looks like pending Congress approval, '08 YG Maj selects with line #s 1-191 should start pin on in Oct. 

So.....when/how long will Congress take to approve it?

On 9/1/2017 at 11:08 AM, Lstcause257 said:

So at this rate it will take til Sep 18 to finish. What again was the point of moving the 09 yg up?

So why is AFPC creating a huge backlog of selects? The 09' board is in Dec. So then 09' guys won't pin until 10-21 months from their board?  That is just stupid.

Just answered my own question.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flyusaf83 said:

So why is AFPC creating a huge backlog of selects? The 09' board is in Dec. So then 09' guys won't pin until 10-21 months from their board?  That is just stupid.

Here's a possible reason - "Look, you guys got promoted!  Please don't flee for the airlines/industry!"

1 hour ago, flyusaf83 said:

This happens every year.  They increment it out to the last two months, right before the next yg is supposed to start pinning, then cash out the remaining 40% remaining over two months.

Every.  Year.  Don't know why.  At this point I don't actually think it's the shoe's fault.

On 9/3/2017 at 1:22 PM, flyusaf83 said:

I waited almost a year, and my board was pushed back a year because the groups ahead of me were waiting two years.  I suspect the boards moving forward are a result of so many pilots bailing once the ADSC is up, which is right around the time they'd be pinning on major with the current timelines.  

I just heard a rumor that the next O-4 board in December will be a 100% promotion opportunity. The only people required to submit PRFs are those with DNPs or Ps w/ derogative information.  WTF is going on?

I just heard a rumor that the next O-4 board in December will be a 100% promotion opportunity. The only people required to submit PRFs are those with DNPs or Ps w/ derogative information.  WTF is going on?

I heard similar words recently from my J1.

1 hour ago, Duck said:

WTF is going on?

Management is in full-on panic mode.  It's not just pilots who are bailing left and right- anyone with a pulse and a shred of risk tolerance is fleeing this sinking ship as fast as they can.

How's your exit going Duck?  I think you've stated you were looking forward to being twice passed over (and then released from indentured servitude)... has that happened yet?  Would 100% promotion to 0-4 throw a wrench in those plans?  Sucks if that's the case.  Good luck to you.

Will this include APZers? That'd be nuts but it would suck for the dudes unlucky enough to commission in the wrong year.

1 minute ago, Karl Hungus said:

Management is in full-on panic mode.  It's not just pilots who are bailing left and right- anyone with a pulse and a shred of risk tolerance is fleeing this sinking ship as fast as they can.

How's your exit going Duck?  I think you've stated you were looking forward to being twice passed over (and then released from indentured servitude)... has that happened yet?  Would 100% promotion to 0-4 throw a wrench in those plans?  Sucks if that's the case.  Good luck to you.

Yeah, this totally throws a wrench in my plans. From what I know they didn't distinguish between APZ and IPZ in the memo passed around. I still submitted my letter, but am a little worried to say the least.

1 hour ago, SurelySerious said:

"Opportunity"

I could be wrong, but I think "100% Promotion Opportunity" is how we promote 1st Lieutenants and Captains. In other words, the board meets only to review the records of those who might not be "Fully Qualified"--meaning those who have received a DNP or have a UIF. When everyone meets the board, they're only promoting those who are "Best Qualified."

Bottom line, unless I'm wrong, this means that unless you receive a DNP or have a UIF (or some other unfavorable report), you won't even meet the board--you're promoted.

Edited by zmoney
Included (or some other unfavorable report) to my post

48 minutes ago, zmoney said:

Until I see it from a .mil website, I remain skeptical. 

Check a few posts ago - was direct from AFPC's .mil site.  It's on the main portal now as well. http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1309770/air-force-announces-100-percent-promotion-opportunity-to-major/

It says there is more info on mypers, yet the "link" is not really a link and mypers is silent on the issue last I checked. Great job rolling this pile of $hit out AF.

14 minutes ago, zach braff said:

Check a few posts ago - was direct from AFPC's .mil site.  It's on the main portal now as well. http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1309770/air-force-announces-100-percent-promotion-opportunity-to-major/

15 minutes ago, BFM this said:

It was a .mil website.

...?

Sure is. I saw a similar post on FB that wasn't on .mil and I confused the two. My mistake. 

Edited by zmoney

1 hour ago, zmoney said:

I could be wrong, but I think "100% Promotion Opportunity" is how we promote 1st Lieutenants and Captains. In other words, the board meets only to review the records of those who might not be "Fully Qualified"--meaning those who have received a DNP or have a UIF. When everyone meets the board, they're only promoting those who are "Best Qualified."

Bottom line, unless I'm wrong, this means that unless you receive a DNP or have a UIF (or some other unfavorable report), you won't even meet the board--you're promoted.

My commentary wasn't on the process itself, but rather that the AF is portraying this as some great thing they're doing for people, when it's a self-induced reaction to the circumstances, and that people who otherwise don't want to get promoted could be voluntold. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, SurelySerious said:

My commentary wasn't on the process itself, but rather that the AF is portraying this as some great thing they're doing for people, when it's a self-induced reaction to the circumstances, and that people who otherwise don't want to get promoted could be voluntold. 

I'll drink to that.  :jd:

Yes! How many man hours do we waste taking a line flying IP and making him do exec work, all because he "needs it for major/ school select?"  How many man hours does he then waste editing OPRs and PRFs for 0-4? I may be optimistic, but hopefully this news coupled with eliminating school selects means we at least delay the fray of queen that a mid level captain faces allowing them to focus on the mission/ their primary job.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, dream big said:

Yes! How many man hours do we waste taking a line flying IP and making him do exec work, all because he "needs it for major/ school select?"  How many man hours does he then waste editing OPRs and PRFs for 0-4? I may be optimistic, but hopefully this news coupled with eliminating school selects means we at least delay the fray of queen that a mid level captain faces allowing them to focus on the mission/ their primary job.

There will be paperwork for everybody, how else do they justify the school selects or rack and stack.

I've never had to do anything more than a ribbon chart for a rack and stack.  A lot fewer man-hours involved in that.  And now that Wg/CCs control the process of who attends ACSC in-res it makes sense to simply turn the O-4 board into a rubber stamp for promotion.

O-4 wasn't really competitive anyway.  I want to say my year group to O-4 was 95% promotion rate.  It will be interesting to see how this will affect O-5 promotions 4 years from now.