Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iRobot

Jiu-jitsu Training

Recommended Posts

For those of you who train, I am curious if there are any good places that some folks may recommend to train at during UPT? Or are there any academies/training facilities on the bases?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During UPT, I'd recommend focusing your training on recovering from continous strikes to your nutsack and ego.

The recommended techniques are hard work and study Sun-Fri, then copious amounts of alcohol Friday and Saturday night.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What everyone above said is correct... your "free time" is about to get nuked.  Its not as bad as it sounds... but you will be rather focused on other things for the next few years.  That's okay... its still a (mostly) kick ass time.

Having said that... working out to recover from stress is absolutely vital.  I have never been a Ninja Turtle, but being part of a gym and working out will help you maintain balance.  This is coming from both a former UPT student and a UPT IP and FLT/CC.  Assuming your FLT aren't a bunch of numskulls... you may be able to "lobby" for gym time after the first portions of T-6s.  If that sounds like a good idea... make sure people know their boldface.  Like... perfect.  Also... don't do dumb things, show up on time, yadda yadda.

 

TL;DR... heavy/high time commitment stuff is not very conducive during UPT.  At the same time, some type of working out will most likely help you out tons.

 

edit:  To answer your question... Laughlin had nothing outside of a local "Tae Kwan Do" gym when I was there... but that was 7 years ago.  They did have crossfit when it was "the thing"... but I am not sure that is exactly what you are after.  Probably same for the other bases... try google.

Edited by VFRDirect
stupid words... spelling sucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VFRDirect said:

What everyone above said is correct... your "free time" is about to get nuked.  Its not as bad as it sounds... but you will be rather focused on other things for the next few years.  That's okay... its still a (mostly) kick ass time.

Having said that... working out to recover from stress is absolutely vital.  I have never been a Ninja Turtle, but being part of a gym and working out will help you maintain balance.  This is coming from both a former UPT student and a UPT IP and FLT/CC.  Assuming your FLT aren't a bunch of numskulls... you may be able to "lobby" for gym time after the first portions of T-6s.  If that sounds like a good idea... make sure people know their boldface.  Like... perfect.  Also... don't do dumb things, show up on time, yadda yadda.

 

TL;DR... heavy/high time commitment stuff is not very conducive during UPT.  At the same time, some type of working out will most likely help you out tons.

 

edit:  To answer your question... Laughlin had nothing outside of a local "Tae Kwan Do" gym when I was there... but that was 7 years ago.  They did have crossfit when it was "the thing"... but I am not sure that is exactly what you are after.  Probably same for the other bases... try google.

Figured as much. Mentor of mine did say that I should learn to balance some "me time" (gym, reading, nose picking) from time-to-time. I've looked around and seen a few Jiu-Jitsu academies, but I am definitely more curious if there was any community involved much on base, especially with regards to some "uncharted" places like Laughlin 😏 


Who knows, maybe in my free-time I can teach some of my classmates how to choke people out in case the Bar-Hop Op goes south...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally you can walk into the place and ask their pedigree and then check them online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends how awesome you are if you'll have time.  A fellow GA nut classmate and I occasionally hung out at a local airport on the weekend and help build some planes.  We became good friends with an IFF sim IP who had a few planes out there.  He told us about a stud that took every award in training, AND built half an RV-8 while in UPT 😳!  That said, the rest of us normal, non-water walkers didn't have much free time during the week.  I will say that it did ease up toward the end of each phase, so you might be able to sneak some time then.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, iRobot said:

 😏

Who knows, maybe in my free-time I can teach some of my classmates how to choke people out in case the Bar-Hop Op goes south...

As for Del Rio, I recommend partying on base vs in town.  (Easier, safer, less driving, and if things are like they were a few years ago, leadership is more understanding of on-base minor stupidity vs making the local news/blotter)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go train. Find a way to train, even if it’s once a week or less. Look at branching out and finding a judo school, etc, if you can’t find an actual BJJ gym.

I’ve been training for years and I would always find a place to roll, even if it meant going out of my way to do so. It’s cool because I’ve now trained jiu jitsu on 5 of the 7 continents. 

You may not get consistent training in but it’s better than nothing. And, if you’re like me, I’d rather train than party, it’s a better release from the intensities of studying/working. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like there's one right by Sheppard. Anyone have experience there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bigred said:

I’ve now trained jiu jitsu on 5 of the 7 continents. 

Now that is too damn cool ! :rock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a place about 15 minutes from Vance that’s pretty good and they meet up from 1830-1930 Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ayz33 said:

Looks like there's one right by Sheppard. Anyone have experience there?

My kid did jiujitsu at the ymca near Sheppard. We were happy with it. He taught an adult class too. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 8:39 AM, ayz33 said:

Looks like there's one right by Sheppard. Anyone have experience there?

Red River BJJ?  They are good people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get you some BJJ virtual reality goggles and after UPT you can go train on all 7 of the continents like Chuck Norris up there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...