More SARC briefings soon.

di1630

Witch hunts are a great way to divert attention away from the actual problem. I'm not a big Air Force times fan but this article throws out some interesting numbers.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2013/01/ap-sex-major-reason-military-brass-fired-012013/

We certainly have a problem in the military, but it doesn't stem from dirty songs and swimsuit calendars. I think I remember learning something in SOS about leadership setting the standard for behavior...

Witch hunts are a great way to divert attention away from the actual problem. I'm not a big Air Force times fan but this article throws out some interesting numbers.

http://www.airforcet...s-fired-012013/

We certainly have a problem in the military, but it doesn't stem from dirty songs and swimsuit calendars. I think I remember learning something in SOS about leadership setting the standard for behavior...

Again, the warrior monk is a fallacy. It's about high time the military updates their view of fraternization to recognize the changing demographics. Too many women in uniform, period dot. It's gonna continue to happen.

Again, the warrior monk is a fallacy. It's about high time the military updates their view of fraternization to recognize the changing demographics. Too many women in uniform, period dot. It's gonna continue to happen.

Best piece of advice I got as a young LT: "Don't do blue". This was from one of my ROTC instructors who was a cop in his previous life. According to him, the relationships that senior leaders take part in get a lot of air time because of the high profile people involved, but this goes on up and down the whole force, and for every 20+ relationships he saw, MAYBE one out of those worked out well. Most of them end up with a messy breakup, and then every day at work is fun and awkward. That's even if you don't get busted for frat.

So I was checking out the list floating around Facbook that AF.mil released and noticed redacted lines. So I compared those items to the list on military times....sure enough all the lines that had an action taken of "turn over to SFS/JAG/OSI," were redacted in the AF.mil list...

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

Courtesy of the Air Force Portal today, here we go:

http://www.af.mil/ne...sp?id=123333526

Air Force Officials Aim to Eliminate Sexual Assault

..."The Air Force goal for sexual assault is not simply to lower the number.The goal is zero," Welsh added. "It's the only acceptable objective. The impact on every victim, their family, their friends [and] the other people in their unit is heart-wrenching, and attacking this cancer is a full-time job, and we are giving it our full attention."

The effort includes an Air Force-wide health and welfare inspection, held in December, the results of which are publicly available, Welsh said. Also last month, Welsh used his monthly "Letter to Airmen" to reinforce "that obscene, vulgar or disrespectful images, songs or so-called 'traditions' are not part of our heritage and will not be accepted as part of our culture."

In addition, a Recruiting Education and Training Oversight Council will be established, Rice said, to review and advise any current or future actions undertaken to eliminate sexual assault. The council also will provide advice on strategic issues affecting airman safety and the maintenance of good order and discipline in basic military training, he added....

Edited by Scaredfuzz21

No matter how hard folks wish it wasn't, "obscene, vulgar, and disrespectful images, songs, and traditions" are very much a part of our heritage and culture.

(I have doofer books to prove it)

Welcome to revisionist history

Courtesy of the Air Force Portal today, here we go:

blah blah blah and attacking this cancer is a full-time job, and we are giving it our full attention."

Thank God that has his full attention. The rest of the Air Force is running fine with no input required.

• Upvote 1

I feel somewhat badly for insinuating this, but preemptive assault comes to mind here. What's the best debate/argument tactic? Deny, deny, counter-accuse. Maybe he's trying to get a head start. After Petraeus nothing would surprise me in this arena. Neither the current situation, nor the sexual assault statistics support these actions.

Nothing immediately spring to mind, except for a Fini-flight.

Leather jackets, aviator sunglasses, big-ass watches, & cocky swagger?

Neither the current situation, nor the sexual assault statistics support these actions.

I very much don't support most of the actions associated with The Great Witch Hunt of 2012, but, you have to admit the current situation is not good from a leadership perspective. Lawsuits alleging widespread sexual assault and acceptance of the degradation of women are not something you want when you need to be focusing on a combat mission and rehabbing a worn-out force and fleet of airplanes. Hard to disagree that "the goal is zero sexual assaults," can anyone say that is not what the goal is? I mean, I support zero tolerance for something that's illegal and f*cking horrible on top of just being illegal, don't you?

The actions you decided to take in reaching that goal, that's a whole different story. Banning traditions that, without a doubt, are part of the AF heritage, I'm not sure that moves the ball closer to the goal line. I highly doubt anyone looked at WWII nose art and decided, "Ya know what, it's OK to rape someone."

So what does this mean? Article 15, Discharge, Capital punishment?

Well capital punishment goes a little far IMHO but yea, if you're convicted of a sexual assault after a trial (innocent until proven guilty after due process has occurred), then you should serve whatever sentence that court assigns. I'm not a lawyer/judge and honestly sentencing depends on the circumstances of the case unless there is some kind of mandatory minimum. I would imagine an article 15 and/or a dishonorable dischange could be common sentences but then again I don't really know what the baseline sentence for sexual assault is.

Edited by nsplayr

Leather jackets

Haha...I don't know about your squadron, but we are not issuing leather jackets anymore. The ones they did issue for the last couple years were complete shit and fell apart quick.

So what does this mean? Article 15, Discharge, Capital punishment?

Or penis amputation (for rape of course)?

Haha...I don't know about your squadron, but we are not issuing leather jackets anymore. The ones they did issue for the last couple years were complete shit and fell apart quick.

That's a shame man...we got them issued but agreed that they were POS. Can't say I wear mine much since it's so damn uncomfortable; been considering getting a Pop's alternate.

Or penis amputation (for rape of course)?

Pretty sure that falls under cruel and unusual punishment, yikes.

That's a shame man...we got them issued but agreed that they were POS. Can't say I wear mine much since it's so damn uncomfortable; been considering getting a Pop's alternate.

Same here!

Pretty sure that falls under cruel and unusual punishment, yikes.

So is rape! The psychological damage that rape causes, lasts a lifetime.

Edited by SocialD

Well capital punishment goes a little far IMHO but yea, if you're convicted of a sexual assault after a trial (innocent until proven guilty after due process has occurred), then you should serve whatever sentence that court assigns. I'm not a lawyer/judge and honestly sentencing depends on the circumstances of the case unless there is some kind of mandatory minimum. I would imagine an article 15 and/or a dishonorable dischange could be common sentences but then again I don't really know what the baseline sentence for sexual assault is.

We had to watch "The Invisible War" at my current location, and the single recurring theme (other than rape) was how the military completely fell down on the job with the prosecution aspect. The issue isn't sentencing, it's convicting. I was expecting to see a bunch of had too many drinks/he-said-she-said situations, but these were mostly violent attacks. This is a leadership problem on 2 levels:

1. Leaders aren't pursuing prosecution in cases of rape because ...

2. Higher leaders have created a promotion structure that incentivizes sweeping problems under the rug in order to create the appearance that all is well as opposed to rewarding people who acknowledge and address problems.