Booze Talk

B*D*A

Guest AlphaSigOU

I miss my Bitburger Pils here in Kwajatraz! Very little Deutsches Wein (couple of Nahe and Mosel wine brands), but lotsa Aussie plonk and California vino. But we do have our equivalent of the 'never sells' aisle - JD Single Barrel, Johnnie Walker Green, Chivas Royal Salute,and a 2000 vintage Dom Perignon!

Guest cody6766

this thread is speaking my language! I've been waiting tables since I was 16 (done in 2 weeks for EAD!) and have been exposed to some really good booze. My last 3 years were fine dining, so that really ramped the quality up. Add to that my interest in all things alcohol and I now can't afford the stuff I really like!

Here we go

Scotch: My fav is Highland Park 30yr. I tend to buy single malts in the 12-18yr range. HP 18, Glenmorange Port finish are 2 notables

Bourbon: Knob Creek or Woodford Res.

Tequila: Grand Centanario Anejo

Gin: Hendrix all the way. Sapphire if not Hendrix. I use New Amsterdam for gin and tonic

Vodka: Not much of a vodka drinker. I use Svedka to mix or Kettle 1 or Chopan for martinis

Rum: I generally hate rum, but found a 20yr for a good price that is quite nice. It's called Mocambo

Misc Liquor: Wild Turkey American Honey (just add ice and bitters), Remey Martin VSOP or XO

Wine Talk:

I generally lean towards larger reds like Cab Franc, Petite Syrah, Syrah and Cab Sauv. I also love Rhone reds and Bordeaux.

Some notables:

Keenan, from Napa - Their Cab and Merlot offerings are great, their Reserve Cab and merlot are some of the best I've had and their Cab Franc is steller

Miner, also from Napa - The 2005 Oracle is a great Bordeaux-style blend.

Quintessa - one of the best I've had. it's a cab blend out of Rutherford. God it's good...

Racy by Naughty - a bad ass red blend

More affordable reds that I actually buy

Ballentine Petite Syrah, Eberle Syrah and Cotes-du-Robles, K Vintners make a lot of good juice, Most any Chat-Neuf Du Pape wine,

...and I could go on and on. I love wine. I probably drink more wine than water!

Beer, my passion before wine:

I like belgian style beer, but drink a variety. Some favorites are:

St. Bernardus, All of the Unibroue offerings, Paulaner Heffe, HP Dunkle-Weiss, Most Rogue beers, Most Anchor beers, many Great Divide beers, Old Rasputin....and on and on.

Beer: Almost anything as long as its cold. Spent too many years bending wrenches and loading bombs to be too picky.

Scotch: Famous Grouse

Asbach Uralt: "The Great Brandy from the Rhine,"

Soju, in those giant glass "combat" bottles from the early 80s. The empties made great bowling pins when used with actual bowling balls. Ahhhh Korea in the Regan years, awesome place. Don't really like soju, but killed too many brain cells with that stuff not to give it a nod here.

Soju, like Agent Orange before it, really should be banned for GIs under the Geneva Convention. :rock:

Korea folks, back me up on this.

Guest dropkick_9

I wish I had an excellently stocked bar at my office:

But with the theme:

Beer: Yuengling, Sam, Shiner

Bourbon- Wild Turkey

Rum- Sailor Jerry

Vodka- Tito's from Austin, Tx

Scotch- Glenlivet 18

Two years in Spain made me all but impervious to rum, can drink it like water. I like Sailor Jerry's as well (although I'm spending time on the Appleton Estate tonight...)

Scotch - Laphroaig

Edited by MKopack

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just picked up a Glenfarclas - aged 21 years.

glenfarclas_21years.jpg

Voted best whisky on show multiple years at the Ayr "Whisky An' A' That Festival." For those not from around Ayr, the town gets together once a year to have a huge tasting and 600 some odd people vote on the best whisky. This one from Speyside has won several years so far.

Guest Crew Report

I wish I had an excellently stocked bar at my office:

But with the theme:

Beer: Yuengling, Sam, Shiner

Bourbon- Wild Turkey

Rum- Sailor Jerry

Vodka- Tito's from Austin, Tx

Scotch- Glenlivet 18

Sailor Jerry and "excellently" do not go together.

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

For you scotch lovers out there...where do you usually get your more harder to find single malts?

Naturally I love the prices at the Class 6 but their scotch selection at Kirtland isn't the greatest--are they better at some of the other bases? One of their workers said they can special order you something if they don't carry it, but I'm not sure if that means they can only order you what other Class 6's carry or if they can get you just about anything (I haven't specifically looked into it...I still need to).

I'm specifically looking for single malts such as Macallan 15/18 yr, Talisker 10/18 yr, Laphroaig 10/18 yr, Lagavulin, any of the Glenmorangie, etc--or anything else you think you think is worth trying!

Also, do you any of you guys buy from an online site? Any recommendations?

For you scotch lovers out there...where do you usually get your more harder to find single malts?

Naturally I love the prices at the Class 6 but their scotch selection at Kirtland isn't the greatest--are they better at some of the other bases? One of their workers said they can special order you something if they don't carry it, but I'm not sure if that means they can only order you what other Class 6's carry or if they can get you just about anything (I haven't specifically looked into it...I still need to).

I'm pretty sure you can special order just about anything...

21 Glen Livet and 21 Glenfiddich - simply amazing scotch, but comes with a price (almost or over $200/bottle).

Ive found that the local liquor joints keep the really high end stuff behind the register counter... and that sometimes mean Lagavulin too. Often the Class 6 will stock 18 Glen Livet, which is my new go-to. Love the stuff, not too pricey to make it obscene.

Chuck

Good call. The 18 Glen Livet is fairly easy to find, and it's definitely good shit. I think it was about $55 at the Class 6 last time I picked up a bottle, but that was about a year ago so I might be wrong.

I came across an oddball vodka called "Rain Organic." I think it's distilled by Amish hippies in a cave in Tibet. Or something. Smells a little like sake and tastes slightly sweet. Anyways, it's pretty decent if you're interested in trying different vodkas.

EDIT: to add a link to it... http://vodkabuzz.com/vodkas/rain

EDIT x2: seeing as how this is the "squadron bar", I think this thread should be stickied.

Edited by GovernmentMan

• 3 months later...

Having just won the best doorprize of my life at my squadron's Christmas party...

Sweet mother of luck!

My buddy just brought me a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black from overseas, not available here yet. Going to give it a try tomorrow night, I guess I could pass on a review.

Johnnie-Walker-Double-Black.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest Grind

Funny you mention that, behind the 14 year was the 21 year. Had it at my buddies house last night, damn near stabbed me when I tried to get into the 21.

Also had some Caol Ila 12, very very peaty.

I'm just getting into these single malts now since I'm a youngun'; I have a lot of road to cover.

Edited by Grind

Revive,

Had some Balvenie rum cask 14 year last night,

Where has this been my whole life?

I drink the 12-year as part of my regular rotation. It's pretty good (good price at the Class 6 too)--sweeter than most IMHO, bit of honey flavor, some fruit. A good/easy scotch to start off with as drinking whisky for the first time often takes some getting used to.

I have gotten into the more smokier/peatier scotches over the last few months--Talisker, Lagavulin, Laphrroaig, etc. Though to me, there are a lot of different kinds I like, so I rotate them through pretty often.

This Scotsman has done A LOT of reviews on different kinds of scotch...I've watched a lot of them. Definitely worth watching.

Guest Grind

Thanks Helo,

My friend's dad is a big scotch guy; he travels across the pond frequently for work and always brings back the goods. Had the Balvenie and some Caol Ila 12 after a good ol' fish n chips dinner.

BTW, I had it 'neat', for the first time, although for the second glass, I added one ice cube as the little booklet in the bottle tube recommended, definitely brought out some more flavors, hard to describe now as I was a little intox when I had it. Really enjoyed having it neat though, swishing it around, breathing it in, feeling the burn on the gums and all the fore/aftertastes. I used to be only a craft beer drinker, but now that my eyes have been opened to true whisky, my horizons have been broadened.

Thanks for the link, sir.

Edited by Grind